Let's Help Dan

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

The Dodgers want to move Kemp badly so they can open up some cap space. Orioles send Trumbo(26/2) for Kemp(2/43) and Ryu(1/7).  Dodgers save 24M, Baltimore gets a significant upgrade at DH in Kemp and they get to roll the dice on Ryu who was at very least a very good #3 if not more when his arm was healthy.

Jon Lackey on a 1/10 deal up to 1/12. The rotation needs an innings eater and if Lackey can do one thing very well it's that. 

I like that.

I've never liked Lackey but I'll swallow my distaste and root for him.

8 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

The Dodgers want to move Kemp badly so they can open up some cap space. Orioles send Trumbo(26/2) for Kemp(2/43) and Ryu(1/7).  Dodgers save 24M, Baltimore gets a significant upgrade at DH in Kemp and they get to roll the dice on Ryu who was at very least a very good #3 if not more when his arm was healthy.

Jon Lackey on a 1/10 deal up to 1/12. The rotation needs an innings eater and if Lackey can do one thing very well it's that. 

I’m not sure I’d call Matt Kemp a significant upgrade at DH. Steamer projects he and Trumbo for an identical 106 wRC+ next season, for instance. I think it’s a coin flip, also. 

They’re both bad options.

13 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

I do wonder how willing the Dodgers would be to move Ryu.  They don't have too much dependable after their starters five.  Maybe they are ready to turn over a spot to Buehler from Day 1, but the other three non-Kershaws are not exactly work horses.  I believe they combined for less than 450 IP last season.  They have Stewart.

I wouldn't mind Ryu, but I think that extra $24M could be spent better.

I really wouldn't mind a guy like Lackey.   I'd still go after Straily and Prado from Miami.   Prado could play third, move Beckham to second, and deal Schoop for a MLB-ready starter and prospects.

The rotation could be Gausman, Bundy, Lackey, Straily, Cortes/starter acquired.   Not the greatest, but serviceable.

18 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I really wouldn't mind a guy like Lackey.   I'd still go after Straily and Prado from Miami.   Prado could play third, move Beckham to second, and deal Schoop for a MLB-ready starter and prospects.

The rotation could be Gausman, Bundy, Lackey, Straily, Cortes/starter acquired.   Not the greatest, but serviceable.

My understanding is that Miami is no longer looking for financial help in their deals. They've already reach the 90ish M in payroll they were hoping to get to. Now it's just about getting the best return they can get, so taking on the Prados and Castros isn't going to help you anymore.

12 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

My understanding is that Miami is no longer looking for financial help in their deals. They've already reach the 90ish M in payroll they were hoping to get to. Now it's just about getting the best return they can get, so taking on the Prados and Castros isn't going to help you anymore.

They really got a nice haul from Milwaukee for Yelich.   Well...it was worth a shot.   

What about Lackey and Vargas?   Definitely better than Ubaldo and Miley!  :)

6 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Since Dan is unsure of where the starting pitching is coming from, how about we help him. With the restraints put on him by ownership, what are the best suggestions you can give him for starting pitching for 2018? And no inconceivable trades; realistic possibilities only.

Assuming Cashner and Vargas are out; FA: Garcia, Dickey, Peavy???, Tilman. Slim pickIns'

They say they want a LH outfielder, hopefully someone who can back up CF.

Well, I wonder what it would take to get Andrew Toles. The Dodgers have a lot of OFs in the mix and they don’t have a ton of bullpen depth. Brad Brach for Toles, Orioles might have to throw in a piece, not sure how highly the Dodgers value Toles.

I know as well as anyone the O’s have OF prospects, but Toles is MLB ready and a hell of a fielder with a chance to hit. At worst he’s a good cheap controllable 4th OF.

Archived