Let's Help Dan

Bahama O's Fan

Just now, Yardball85 said:

And I'd be fine if he earns the number 5 spot in spring training.  But right now he's still just someone who couldn't crack the Yankees 40 man roster.  He needs to prove himself.

I think the yankees was stacked deep and he ended up on the outside looking in.

Yes, he does need to prove himself, but so far all the pointers are pointing to this guy can pitch.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I found this on spotrac. It's a list of the remaining free agent pitchers and it has the anticipated marketing value for some. It projects Lynn to land a four year deal, Darvish and Arrieta to land five year deals and Cobb to land a six year deal (i.e., we can probably cross all four off the list). The next best tier (IMO) are probably Garcia (we need a lefty), Cashner, and Vargas. Cashner's projected to get a four year deal (again, cross him off the list) so you're left with Garcia and Vargas. So our 2018 starting rotation will probably be Bundy, Gausman, Vargas, Garcia, and Tillman and one of the young guys battling it out for the fifth spot. It honestly feels like we're just shuffling cards in the deck a bit and/or putting a tiny band-aid on a deep cut. With the market being what it is, and with the Oriole's policy of not offering long term deals to pitchers, trading Machado and/or Schoop for young pitching seems like the only reasonable alternative. Looking at the top pitchers in the minors, the Cardinals and Braves seem to match-up the best. The Cardinals could either play Machado at 3b (move Carpenter to 1b) or bench DeJong and play him at SS. The Braves might seem like an unlikely trading partner, but now that some of their minor leaguers have graduated to the majors the seem like they might be ready to spent a little money to be more competitive. Machado would slot at 3b for the Braves, unless they included their young SS (Albies) in the trade. The Phillies might also be a sleeper trade partner because they have a big hole at SS and seem to want to content. 

Trading Machado (or Schoop) is our one shot to improve this team for the next 10+ years, so we need to target young pitchers (i.e., not Patrick Corbin types). We also shouldn't be looking to take back long, bad contracts (i.e., Ellsbury) regardless of how much of the salary the other team pays. If we're trading someone like Machado or Schoop we should be in drivers seat and the other teams should be the ones who have to make concessions. I honestly believe if the Oriole's are serious about trading Machado (I'm not convinced they are) they will find a trade partner. And sure we might struggle a bit next season, but I'd rather struggle while watching young players grow then struggle with players like Vargas, Garcia, and Tillman who have no upside. Just my two cents. 

Jacob Turner SP 26 WSH MIA - - -
Jeremy Hellickson SP 30 BAL TBD -   Market Value: $16,326,147
Anibal Sanchez SP 33 DET TBD -   -
John Lackey SP 39 CHC TBD -   -
Jake Arrieta SP 31 CHC TBD -   Market Value: $26,607,823
Ubaldo Jimenez SP 33 BAL TBD -   -
Matt Garza SP 34 MIL TBD -   -
Ricky Nolasco SP 35 LAA TBD -   -
Edinson Volquez SP 34 MIA TBD -   -
Chris Tillman SP 29 BAL TBD -   Market Value: $9,415,266
Yu Darvish SP 31 LAD TBD -   Market Value: $22,656,871
Andrew Cashner SP 31 TEX TBD -   Market Value: $10,860,252
Hector Santiago SP 30 MIN TBD -   -
Jason Vargas SP 34 KC TBD -   Market Value: $9,589,742
R.A. Dickey SP 43 ATL TBD -   -
Lance Lynn SP 30 STL TBD -   Market Value: $16,962,121
Clay Buchholz SP 33 PHI TBD -   -
Jaime Garcia SP 31 NYY TBD -   Market Value: $10,296,837
Wade Miley SP 31 BAL TBD -   -
Alex Cobb SP 30 TB TBD -   Market Value: $18,279,752
Scott Feldman SP 34 CIN TBD -   -
Christian Friedrich SP 30 SD TBD -   -
Bud Norris SP 32 LAA TBD -   -
Mat Latos SP 30 TOR TBD -   -
Nick Tepesch SP 29 TOR TBD -   -
Kyle Kendrick SP 33 BOS TBD -   -
Henderson Alvarez SP 27 PHI TBD -   -
Brett Anderson SP 29 TOR TBD -   -
Bartolo Colon SP 44 MIN TBD -   -
Micah Owings SP 35 SEA TBD -   -
Jair Jurrjens SP 31 LAD TBD -   -
Brayan Villarreal SP 30 MIN TBD -   -

some names on this list stand out. What happened to Garza and Buchholz? Wasn't Henderson Alvarez decent once? And Matt Latos?

On 1/30/2018 at 12:51 PM, foxfield said:

I have two questions, that I pose to you:

What would the Orioles team look like if it hadn't resigned Chris Davis and/or Mark Trumbo?

Do you think those were calls made by DD?

Do you think DD made the call to not offer pitchers 4 year contracts?

Do you think DD refuses to play in International market?

Do you think think DD refused the trade of Britton?

Do you think DD is unwilling to trade Manny?

Oops!  I guess you can pick two...

***DD is not perfect, but ANY credible analysis simply has to mention how f'd up the ownership is.  Yes PA will spend money.  But you want Dan to be more creative in his moves?  How creative do you think he could be with 200 MM given to Davis and Trumbo?  I don't know either, but I think that matters.  A bunch!

I can't answer that question other than to ask you this...if you're boss treated you like your supposed post, would you sit back and allow all of baseball to make you look incompetent, or would you resign and sit out the next year until your contract is up?

11 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

I can't answer that question other than to ask you this...if you're boss treated you like your supposed post, would you sit back and allow all of baseball to make you look incompetent, or would you resign and sit out the next year until your contract is up?

I think that is a great question.  I think the urge to resign would be huge.  Honestly I do believe that...

I think I would try to get out and take another job as resigning would mean I would lose millions.  But obviously, that has not happened...

Oh wait!

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

I think that is a great question.  I think the urge to resign would be huge.  Honestly I do believe that...

I think I would try to get out and take another job as resigning would mean I would lose millions.  But obviously, that has not happened...

Oh wait!

You have to wonder how Dan feels about making significantly less money than Buck....

If the market keeps stalling, maybe some of these bigger names (Cobb, Lynn, Moustakas, probably not a Darvish, maybe an Arietta?) can be had for much less than we think.  Do pitchers take one year deals to try and hit the market again next year? Do they sign for less money but longer commitment?  More money per year for a two or three year deal?  More player opt outs?  I am interested to see how this market stabilizes, if it stabilizes.  

If the top tier pitchers' prices are driven down, I wonder how far down prices for starters like Cashner, Lackey, Garcia, or Vargas will drop? 

I can't believe I've forgotten this name for so long, but how is no one all over landing Francis Martes from the Astros? Guy is a year removed from being a top 30 spec, he has front of the rotation stuff, but the Astros have filled up the rotation with Verlander and Gerrit Cole. Even then, Forrest Whitley is now in the wings as he's established himself one of the top arms in the minors. Martes will likely be wasted in Houston's pen again this year. Get him into AAA let him get his control back to 2016 and before levels and you may have a rotation anchor for the next half decade.

2 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

I can't believe I've forgotten this name for so long, but how is no one all over landing Francis Martes from the Astros? Guy is a year removed from being a top 30 spec, he has front of the rotation stuff, but the Astros have filled up the rotation with Verlander and Gerrit Cole. Even then, Forrest Whitley is now in the wings as he's established himself one of the top arms in the minors. Martes will likely be wasted in Houston's pen again this year. Get him into AAA let him get his control back to 2016 and before levels and you may have a rotation anchor for the next half decade.

Sounds great in principal.  What do we think it would take to get him? 

1 hour ago, joelala said:

Brach?

Likely more. Remember you're talking about 6 years of a guy with top of the rotation stuff who is MLB ready right now. I don't think 1 year of Brach would do it. My guess from the Cubs that would be a piece that Astros would want and that made sense for the Cubs to deal was CJ Edwards. For the Orioles their version of that would be Mychal Givens. Honestly I think Martes could do just as good a job as either of those two out of the pen starting today, but he comes with the bonus that he could work as a starter too.

7 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Sounds like a great guy to go after, but not someone you'd could necessarily count on this season.   We really don't have a great track record in developing starting pitching.

5 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Likely more. Remember you're talking about 6 years of a guy with top of the rotation stuff who is MLB ready right now. I don't think 1 year of Brach would do it. My guess from the Cubs that would be a piece that Astros would want and that made sense for the Cubs to deal was CJ Edwards. For the Orioles their version of that would be Mychal Givens. Honestly I think Martes could do just as good a job as either of those two out of the pen starting today, but he comes with the bonus that he could work as a starter too.

Yea, Givens was my next suggestion.  I would do this in a heartbeat.  But if you think that Martes could be just as effective out of the pen now as Givens, I'd imagine the Stros might think that as well and would want a sweetener.  Would you throw in Stewart?

Or what if we could get him straight up for Sisco?

Archived