Let's Help Dan

Bahama O's Fan

8 hours ago, crawjo said:

Trade Machado for prospects, the best that are offered. Trade Schoop. Trade Brach and Givens. Fill out the rotation with AAAA filler. Finish in last place. Get a top 5 draft pick. Rebuild. 

There are so many teams "rebuilding" (including 3 in the AL Central and 3 in the NL East) we could finish in last place and get the 8th pick or worse.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

There are so many teams "rebuilding" (including 3 in the AL Central and 3 in the NL East) we could finish in last place and get the 8th pick or worse.

This is an excellent point.    It’s hard to tank worse than the teams that are already tanking!

3 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

The other edge of that sword is the WC landscape.  Glass half full, I can squint to see us still better than the Twins even if they get Darvish and we backfill rotation fodder, but those 54 games against the Tigers, White Sox and Royals are going to give them an edge on the coastal WC contenders.

With all the talk of Marlins financial help, I'm surprised no one's brought up the great whale of their underwater contracts - Wei-Yin Chen.

He has about 3/$60 to go and had PRP last fall hoping to avoid TJS.  We want LHP.  On the market, he might get a few million on a 1 year team from someone in a position to take a risk on his elbow holding together.

5 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

With our current rotation and getting rid of our two best bullpen pieces and two best position players, I'd like our chances to get to 100 losses. I think we'd be the worst team in the AL, actually.

11 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Sigh...

So the Brewers are gonna get a strong left-handed starter in Corbin, by trading from their outfield depth.

Keon Broxton is a GOOD young player. That's a heavy price to pay for Corbin IMO. If Broxton was an Oriole I wouldn't give him up for one year of Corbin. 

30 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Keon Broxton is a GOOD young player. That's a heavy price to pay for Corbin IMO. If Broxton was an Oriole I wouldn't give him up for one year of Corbin. 

That's a good point.  I guess I was just pointing out that its frustrating to see that there are good quality MLB starting pitchers that can be had for outfielders.  When this offseason started, I wish the O's had been more aggressive trying to trade from their areas of strength  (outfield and bullpen) to address our weakness (starting pitching).  Now that the Yankees have added the 2017 NL MVP and we've lost Britton for half the season to injury, a rebuild is looking more prudent.  But if the O's were/are going all in on 2018, I think this is a guy we should have been all over.

1 hour ago, TommyPickles said:

That's a good point.  I guess I was just pointing out that its frustrating to see that there are good quality MLB starting pitchers that can be had for outfielders.  When this offseason started, I wish the O's had been more aggressive trying to trade from their areas of strength  (outfield and bullpen) to address our weakness (starting pitching).  Now that the Yankees have added the 2017 NL MVP and we've lost Britton for half the season to injury, a rebuild is looking more prudent.  But if the O's were/are going all in on 2018, I think this is a guy we should have been all over.

i hear ya, but I think the verdicts still out on whether not Corbin is a good starting pitcher. That said, the same could be said for Broxton, but he's under control through 2022...

20 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

i hear ya, but I think the verdicts still out on whether not Corbin is a good starting pitcher. That said, the same could be said for Broxton, but he's under control through 2022...

Pitchers command a bit of a premium of course. 

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Didn't realize until I just searched him, but Broxton is actually going to be entering his age 28 season this year. He's only a year younger than Corbin.

.299 OBP last year. I think the Diamondbacks could get more than that for Corbin. He's not the best pitcher in the world, but he's very solid.

57 minutes ago, theocean said:

Didn't realize until I just searched him, but Broxton is actually going to be entering his age 28 season this year. He's only a year younger than Corbin.

.299 OBP last year. I think the Diamondbacks could get more than that for Corbin. He's not the best pitcher in the world, but he's very solid.

So we’re just ignoring the fact that Corbin’s a one year rental and Broxton’s under contract through 2022?

Archived