Schoop absence from Fanfest

Going Underground

2 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

There are probably a thousand -- maybe 10,000 -- things about being a professional ballplayer that I don't understand, or maybe misunderstand. One of them is how a professional ballplayer cannot want, and want really badly, to show up at FanFest, whther or not he enjoys it. Another is how a professional athlete cannot, as soon as he knows the date of FanFest, make a note of it and try very hard to schedule around that date.

If something comes up that keeps a player from attending, I get that. The rest is beyond me, and I guess that's just the way it will have to be.

I guess I didn't realize how much some of you cared about Fanfest.  I've never even been to one, tbh - never really cared to.    

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ruzious said:

I guess I didn't realize how much some of you cared about Fanfest.  I've never even been to one, tbh - never really cared to.    

I've never been, not particularly interested in going.

But you should do your job and part of his job was going to Fanfest and interacting positively with the fans of the team.

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Schoop is coming off as a diva here. 

So much for losing Manny, and AJ, and rebuilding around Schoop. 

OMG, How?  His agent said don't go, he listened to his agent.  This is so overblown.  We have a very good 2B for cheaper than he's worth for a couple more seasons.  Enjoy it while it lasts.  So much for losing Manny, and AJ and rebuilding around Schoop because we won't do that.  We will find some more bargain bin losers to replace those two and Schoop will follow them out the door as soon as he can.  Should he have come to Fanfest? Sure.  Is it the end of the world that he missed this year and last year?  No.  Add more old timers next year, everything will be fine.  Every player doesn't show up every year.  We don't need to nitpick reasons.  Would you rather he lie and say his mom was sick or something?  

For all the hand wringing over Schoop no-showing fanfest, why is nobody asking why the Orioles chose the day before to announce it.  I bet they knew for weeks.  Maybe I'll wring my hands in their direction.  Actually I wont because none of this matters at all.  

Edit:  I realize it was a late confirmation and the team TRIED SO HARD to resolve this*** but I'm more inclined to be upset at Buck and then the media for trying to make something of it.  How about Schoop logging into Britton's twitter chat and asking him why he didnt get a chance to pitch in the playoffs?  

***they could have actually resolved it by agreeing to his pay rate for the upcoming season. 

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Schoop is coming off as a diva here. 

So much for losing Manny, and AJ, and rebuilding around Schoop. 

I’m disappointed in Schoop, but that wouldn’t stop me from trying to sign him long term.    It’s annoying but a small error in judgment in the grand scheme of things.  

It's been interesting reading this thread.  I've never thought of Schoop as anything other than a stand-up player.  But I'll admit that the last minute decision not to attend fanfest disappointed me (agent directed decision or not)

I think we all have different levels of emotional attachments to the team.  For some, with zero to little emotional attachment, the only thing that matters is whether or not the Os win.  For others, like me, who have a deep emotional attachment to the team, to the way it and the city have become entwined with my own identity, how players play the game and how they behave and interact with the fans is important.  

There's no right or wrong here, so let's not all act like one group is crazier than another just because Schoop's decision strikes dissimilar chords amongst fans of a similar team.  It can be both no big deal and a big deal at the same time.  Parallax.  Play ball.

3 hours ago, MikeAD said:

Eh when your boss is like “I know you’re worth over 85k to me and we have a whole lotta Ks sitting over here and you’re the only constant exemplorary employee for the foreseeable future but how bout let’s give you 45k” I think you can get upset.  Players have no business coming to Baltimore in the winter unless they are required. Thier job does not also include coming to a fan fest.  When you’re being mistreated and management isn’t attempting to remedy the problems or put a winning team together the journey becomes even less important.  Run a franchise like a joke get treated like a joke in return. End of the day staying healthy and looking for the next contract is the job of the player. Ownership and management  should give them a reason to show up. 

I went ant when I was a kid. I enjoyed it. I get that kids need to see players but he’s going to have the same outcome wether the fans show up or not and Schoop does PLENTY year round for kids especially disadvantaged kids. I’m not going to knock him for not coming. I wish they all had stayed home honestly. 

He is getting paid somewhere between 7.5 million and 9 million dollars a year this season.  If he plays terribly this year he will get a raise next season.  

He is required to come to fan fest.   He didn't come last year either.  He would gladly play for 200k a year to play if that was the going rate.  

If I owned the team I would try really hard to beat him in arbitration and then trade him to a pitchers park team.  

Mistreated to be flown in and get praised by people for a few hours?  

2 hours ago, MikeAD said:

OMG, How?  His agent said don't go, he listened to his agent.  This is so overblown.  We have a very good 2B for cheaper than he's worth for a couple more seasons.  Enjoy it while it lasts.  So much for losing Manny, and AJ and rebuilding around Schoop because we won't do that.  We will find some more bargain bin losers to replace those two and Schoop will follow them out the door as soon as he can.  Should he have come to Fanfest? Sure.  Is it the end of the world that he missed this year and last year?  No.  Add more old timers next year, everything will be fine.  Every player doesn't show up every year.  We don't need to nitpick reasons.  Would you rather he lie and say his mom was sick or something?  

For all the hand wringing over Schoop no-showing fanfest, why is nobody asking why the Orioles chose the day before to announce it.  I bet they knew for weeks.  Maybe I'll wring my hands in their direction.  Actually I wont because none of this matters at all.  

Edit:  I realize it was a late confirmation and the team TRIED SO HARD to resolve this*** but I'm more inclined to be upset at Buck and then the media for trying to make something of it.  How about Schoop logging into Britton's twitter chat and asking him why he didnt get a chance to pitch in the playoffs?  

***they could have actually resolved it by agreeing to his pay rate for the upcoming season. 

Then it shouldn’t matter much if he gets booed pretty roundly when he runs out on the field to start the season.  I mean he doesn’t need the love or attention from us fans right?    I mean it wouldn’t be the end of the world or nothing, that’s for sure.   Since none of this matters at all.  

1 minute ago, El Gordo said:

As far as I'm concerned Fanfest is a PR and marketing event. If they want to get me interested in the team the best PR would be to sign a friggin' TOR SP. I'd prefer that to 1000 Scoop autographs and sundry jerseys.

I think a lot of people on here don't care about whom the players on the team are but I don't think you are the norm for Oriole fans.   And there are a ton of people who went to fanfest.  I am sure a lot of whom were excited to meet Schoop and Machado and highly disappointed that they didn't come. 

Obviously if people pay for the event and take a day out of their life to attend it is important to them. And the people attending are probably the people who attend the most games.   These are the people that allow someone like Schoop to get paid many millions of dollars to play a child's game 

15 minutes ago, cimota said:

I think a lot of people on here don't care about whom the players on the team are but I don't think you are the norm for Oriole fans.   And there are a ton of people who went to fanfest.  I am sure a lot of whom were excited to meet Schoop and Machado and highly disappointed that they didn't come. 

Obviously if people pay for the event and take a day out of their life to attend it is important to them. And the people attending are probably the people who attend the most games.   These are the people that allow someone like Schoop to get paid many millions of dollars to play a child's game 

That's up to then They can hate on Schoop for not giving them an autograph. I couldn't care less. I like the way he turns the DP.

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

As far as I'm concerned Fanfest is a PR and marketing event. If they want to get me interested in the team the best PR would be to sign a friggin' TOR SP. I'd prefer that to 1000 Scoop autographs and sundry jerseys.

Absolutely.

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

Then it shouldn’t matter much if he gets booed pretty roundly when he runs out on the field to start the season.  I mean he doesn’t need the love or attention from us fans right?    I mean it wouldn’t be the end of the world or nothing, that’s for sure.   Since none of this matters at all.  

I’m not even sure what you’re saying ? The actual games matter and he will be our best player for the next three seasons. If fans want to cheer or boo that’s up to them. Chances are there won’t be many. He’s going to play the days he’s in the lineup wether the fans boo or cheer. It’s his job. It’s  not his job to come to fan fest especially when his contract isn’t set for next season. The reasons for him going to not going to fan fest do not matter. The amount of wins across a 162 game season matter. An appearance at fan fest has no baring on those wins. 

Archived