Schoop absence from Fanfest

Going Underground

4 hours ago, Ruzious said:

I guess I didn't realize how much some of you cared about Fanfest. I've never even been to one, tbh - never really cared to. 

o

I got to go to FanFest for free in April of 2009, the year that I got free season tickets.

I loved it. I just loved being around thousands of other Orioles fans and some players, broadcasters, and coaches, regardless of which ones there were.

Two years after that Fanfest, I went to New York City to meet Cal Ripken Jr, who was promoting and signing his new book. Before I entered the building (after I parked my car), I looked around and saw that there were THOUSANDS of Oriole fans clad in orange in black ........ in Midtown Manhattan !!! ll O.o 

For myself that was surreal, and it almost made meeting Cal (and having my picture taken with him) incidental.

o

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

I’m not even sure what you’re saying ? The actual games matter and he will be our best player for the next three seasons. If fans want to cheer or boo that’s up to them. Chances are there won’t be many. He’s going to play the days he’s in the lineup wether the fans boo or cheer. It’s his job. It’s  not his job to come to fan fest especially when his contract isn’t set for next season. The reasons for him going to not going to fan fest do not matter. The amount of wins across a 162 game season matter. An appearance at fan fest has no baring on those wins. 

I am saying that it does matter if spoiled millionaire players dis their fans.  And ultimately fans will care less and less and show up less and less because of actions like his.  Unfortunate that he made such a boneheaded error. 

6 hours ago, El Gordo said:

As far as I'm concerned Fanfest is a PR and marketing event. If they want to get me interested in the team the best PR would be to sign a friggin' TOR SP. I'd prefer that to 1000 Scoop autographs and sundry jerseys.

It’s not like they have to choose.    Having players show up for Fanfest doesn’t preclude them from signing free agents.    This is an enjoyable event held for the fans (far from merely being an autograph signing event), and a way to get fans thinking about the upcoming season.    If a player doesn’t fulfill his contractual obligation to be there, it’s irritating and detracts from the event.    He should be embarrassed to have skipped it, and it’s annoying that the team has no real recourse.     (What are they going to do, fine a guy whose salary is still being negotiated?)    But am I going to worry about it on Opening Day?   No.

10 minutes ago, vatech1994 said:

Hello to everyone.  It has been awhile.  My thoughts on the thread:

Let’s start with some facts.  Then get to the opinions.  There apparently is some confusion about lots of things.  To clear up a few things -

1) Schoop has two more season until he is a FA, not three. Gausman has three years.

2) The Orioles end of season payroll in 2017 was $179.9M which ranked 11th in baseball so we certainly haven’t been cheap the last few years.  http://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/al-east/baltimore-orioles/ We also certainly aren’t spending wisely.

3) As others have corrected pointed out, it is part of the individual contract and the master agreement that players support events like Fanfest.

4) We were a bad team for 14 seasons from 1998 to 2011 and it is certainly possible that we could be a bad team again for the a long time starting with last season, but we most certainly weren’t a bad team from 2012 - 2016.  We had the best record in the AL east during that time and made the play-offs 3 times.  It really annoys me when people can’t state frustration without also being accurate in characterizing the past.

Now the opinions:

1) Bad choice by Schoop, but I don’t really care much.  I do think there is little chance he will sign with us as a FA.

2) We need to trade Machado and Schoop now.  Neither will sign here IMHO so we might as well get the rebuild started.

3) I love Adam Jones, but I don’t see a path to signing him that makes sense for us based on his skills and likely requirements so I am going to celebrate 2018 as the last season of a great Oriole and hope we don’t do something stupid (like we did with Davis).

4) I don’t understand our starting pitching approach at all.  Yes, FA deals for starters don’t tend to work out great, but we simply have to sign 1-2 quality starters since we don’t have the major league ready talent in the organization.

5) We should trade O’Day if he has any value rather than pay him $9M for each of the next two seasons.  I’d be happy to pick up a decent amount of that salary if it nets us prospects.  It never made sense to pay him that much.  It really doesn’t now.

6) The next few years are going to be rough.  The Yankees have done a lot of things right over the last 5 years and are poised to be extremely nasty.  Everyone should just prepare themselves that Machado is going to be a Yankee and maybe Harper too.

7) Other than the stupid Davis deal, we don’t have many long term commitments.  Build the farm.  Make the right trades before upcoming FA become FA rather than letting them go for a pick at best.  Acknowledge that we aren’t contenders for at least the next 2-3 years and do what is needed.  It won’t be fun, but if we commit to the rebuild it can be fairly short term.  Look at Houston (and what is about to happen in Atlanta).

8) Go O’s!

Great to "hear" your voice again Bruce!  Well said and in total agreement.  #Renaissance #OsTimesUp 

33 minutes ago, vatech1994 said:

Hello to everyone.  It has been awhile.  My thoughts on the thread:

Let’s start with some facts.  Then get to the opinions.  There apparently is some confusion about lots of things.  To clear up a few things -

1) Schoop has two more season until he is a FA, not three. Gausman has three years.

2) The Orioles end of season payroll in 2017 was $179.9M which ranked 11th in baseball so we certainly haven’t been cheap the last few years.  http://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/al-east/baltimore-orioles/ We also certainly aren’t spending wisely.

3) As others have corrected pointed out, it is part of the individual contract and the master agreement that players support events like Fanfest.

4) We were a bad team for 14 seasons from 1998 to 2011 and it is certainly possible that we could be a bad team again for the a long time starting with last season, but we most certainly weren’t a bad team from 2012 - 2016.  We had the best record in the AL east during that time and made the play-offs 3 times.  It really annoys me when people can’t state frustration without also being accurate in characterizing the past.

Now the opinions:

1) Bad choice by Schoop, but I don’t really care much.  I do think there is little chance he will sign with us as a FA.

2) We need to trade Machado and Schoop now.  Neither will sign here IMHO so we might as well get the rebuild started.

3) I love Adam Jones, but I don’t see a path to signing him that makes sense for us based on his skills and likely requirements so I am going to celebrate 2018 as the last season of a great Oriole and hope we don’t do something stupid (like we did with Davis).

4) I don’t understand our starting pitching approach at all.  Yes, FA deals for starters don’t tend to work out great, but we simply have to sign 1-2 quality starters since we don’t have the major league ready talent in the organization.

5) We should trade O’Day if he has any value rather than pay him $9M for each of the next two seasons.  I’d be happy to pick up a decent amount of that salary if it nets us prospects.  It never made sense to pay him that much.  It really doesn’t now.

6) The next few years are going to be rough.  The Yankees have done a lot of things right over the last 5 years and are poised to be extremely nasty.  Everyone should just prepare themselves that Machado is going to be a Yankee and maybe Harper too.

7) Other than the stupid Davis deal, we don’t have many long term commitments.  Build the farm.  Make the right trades before upcoming FA become FA rather than letting them go for a pick at best.  Acknowledge that we aren’t contenders for at least the next 2-3 years and do what is needed.  It won’t be fun, but if we commit to the rebuild it can be fairly short term.  Look at Houston (and what is about to happen in Atlanta).

8) Go O’s!

Agree. Welcome back.  Excellent! 

6 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

If there are two years left before he gets to free agency then the Orioles must extend or trade him this off season.

Many have been waving their arms screaming this. However looks like we have started the countdown to departure.  My best hope is Angelos etc realize they are screwed when Manny Jones and Britton are on other teams and we still have no pitching and they rush over to Schoop and make an extension happen. More likely we give an extension to Britton for some stupid number of yesrs before he’s even recovered , Schoop walks and we all cry. 

43 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Obviously Schoop isn't real happy to be with the O's

NOW is the time to extend or trade him

or he will follow the path of Jim Johnson, Zach Britton, Manny Machado and we will get either a pick or nothing at all for a once all star talent

While I was against trading Machado last year I am more inclined to trade Schoop. I think he had his career year last season. His career OBP is .300.   Most likely to regress. Problem is the league is full of great second basemen.  I am not sure how much you will get for him. 

32 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

Many have been waving their arms screaming this. However looks like we have started the countdown to departure.  My best hope is Angelos etc realize they are screwed when Manny Jones and Britton are on other teams and we still have no pitching and they rush over to Schoop and make an extension happen. More likely we give an extension to Britton for some stupid number of yesrs before he’s even recovered , Schoop walks and we all cry. 

My reaction is really in response to the market movement on 1 year rentals.  It's gone lower.  You can't get much for a guy who the other team will only have for a year.

There seems to be a dearth of 2B talent in MLB too.  There are a lot of teams looking for players at that position.

20 minutes ago, cimota said:

While I was against trading Machado last year I am more inclined to trade Schoop. I think he had his career year last season. His career OBP is .300.   Most likely to regress. Problem is the league is full of great second basemen.  I am not sure how much you will get for him. 

This is depressing, we trade Manny, we trade Schoop.

Whose is playing 3rd and 2nd for this team? Jay Bell and Brian Roberts?

13 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Whoever plays thise positions in their place for now will be watching basballs fly over their head just as well as any allstar would. 

25 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

My reaction is really in response to the market movement on 1 year rentals.  It's gone lower.  You can't get much for a guy who the other team will only have for a year.

There seems to be a dearth of 2B talent in MLB too.  There are a lot of teams looking for players at that position.

Well if you can't get much for 1 year rentals, why not sign 3 one year rental starting pitchers and go for it this year?

39 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

If you think that's depressing, imagine how depressing it will be when Manny and Schoop leave for nothing and we are even more screwed in 2020 onward.

Archived