Where is the starter market? Where are the O's?

wildcard

YES!!!!!!

Let’s add two mediocre pitchers and then figure out #5... then fumble our way to being 7 games out of the wild card at the break, then GO FOR IT BABY!!!!

We’ll trade Tanner Scott for some marginal rental who might add half a win, then watch Machado walk for a compensatory pick while finishing last in the division by an eyelash in a thrilling season ending loss to the Red Sox in Boston. 

Feels so real, doesn’t it?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, orange23 said:

Whether it was the heat or just our atrocious pitching last year, we gave up the second-most home runs last year in the majors. Like you guys, I don't want to continue that trend. I know it's nearly impossible to not give up HRs in Bmore but we can try to find pitchers who do a better job of keeping the ball in the park. I think Lance Lynn (coming off a decent year and historically doesn't give up the long ball), Alex Cobb (similar year to Lynn's and has experience in AL East), and Jason Vargas (the least attractive 2017 of the three listed despite being an all-star; however, he is probably the most realistic) are the best and most realistic options we can find. I'll take any of them but I like Cobb the most. We shall see what transpires but I trust Duquette will make a good choice.

Welcome to the board!

I also prefer Cobb out of that group, he is the only guy I think has any upside at the rumored price. His velocity came back and he pitched well even though his best pitch (split change) still isn't back post-TJS.  He may never get it back, but if he does, I'd imagine he'd likely exceed his contract.

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

YES!!!!!!

Let’s add two mediocre pitchers and then figure out #5... then fumble our way to being 7 games out of the wild card at the break, then GO FOR IT BABY!!!!

We’ll trade Tanner Scott for some marginal rental who might add half a win, then watch Machado walk for a compensatory pick while finishing last in the division by an eyelash in a thrilling season ending loss to the Red Sox in Boston. 

Feels so real, doesn’t it?

I'm all for selling and reloading for 2019, I've made that point many times here. However, that appears like it will not happen.

So assuming that's not going to happen, what do you do?  Is halfheartedly going for it worse than doing nothing and letting Manny walk for a pick?  I'm not trying to make a point, just legitimately wondering.

3 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I'm all for selling and reloading for 2019, I've made that point many times here. However, that appears like it will not happen.

So assuming that's not going to happen, what do you do?  Is halfheartedly going for it worse than doing nothing and letting Manny walk for a pick?  I'm not trying to make a point, just legitimately wondering.

I don't want to trade an asset or sign a free agent past two years.

I'm hopeful Dan doesn't do anymore long term damage on his way out.

53 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I see the three cases as very different in terms of length of deal.

Cashner may be a mediocre pitcher, but he’s coming off a good season and he’s 31 years old.    My guess is someone bites the bullet and gives him a three year deal.   At a minimum, I think he gets two years and a vesting option.   

Vargas is 35 and at that age isn’t getting a three-year deal, especially after missing the better part of 2015-16 with TJ surgery.    But otherwise he’s been pretty durable and reliable and he’ll get two years from someone after a good 2017.

Tillman has red flags all over and will be lucky to get a major league deal.     If he does, it’ll be for a year with a low base salary.    If there’s a team option in there, that’s for the benefit of the team, not Tillman.   

Here is the problem for Duquette.  My guess is he can sell a one year deal with an option to ownership for guys that the medicals don't look great.  That is all three of these guys.   But he can't sell a two or three year deal after Ubaldo and Gallardo.  Just my guess.

Tillman is a minor league deal or a two base salary major league deal with incentive.

3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I think it'd be dumb to trade Manny just to trade Manny. If they aren't getting a top prospect back (which seems to be the case) - they should take the pick. They could conceivably get a better prospect from the pick.

3 minutes ago, theocean said:

I think it'd be dumb to trade Manny just to trade Manny. If they aren't getting a top prospect back (which seems to be the case) - they should take the pick. They could conceivably get a better prospect from the pick.

Ah, yeah.

I think everyone agrees that the return on a Manny trade would have to be greater than a late first round pick.

9 minutes ago, theocean said:

If they want a prospect, they should ask for a prospect. All the rumors (not sure how much to believe) were that the O's were trying to get MLB pieces in return.

3 hours ago, janderson1622 said:

O’s are interested in trading for Collin McHugh from the Astros. Not sure if I missed this already being talked about, but what do we think it would take to get him? He is under control through 2019.

They need RP so Maybe Givens?  I'd offer Brach plus.

On 2/11/2018 at 9:29 AM, Frobby said:

Cashner may be a mediocre pitcher, but he’s coming off a good season and he’s 31 years old.    My guess is someone bites the bullet and gives him a three year deal.   At a minimum, I think he gets two years and a vesting option.   

Wrong again!   But not a one-year deal as WC was suspecting might be possible.   

28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No, you were right.

Two and a vesting option, and a vesting opt out.

Interesting contract.  Don't recall seeing a deal constructed like that before.

Yeah, the initial reports didn’t mention the option.    I’m happy with the structure of the contract.   

Archived