Cashner signing

jcaponio

Just now, Babypowder said:

This is where I am. The terms make it hard to be upset with it, but I fully expect Cashner to be pretty bad. I'm thinking 5+ ERA.

Hopefully we have better defense this year. 

Unfortunately for O's fans, Cashner is about the level of guy we can hope for based on how the organization limits itself. But I certainly like it better than the FO doing nothing and pretending everything's fine. 

57 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm mostly looking at the 4.6 K rate, the 3.5 walk rate and the FIP being over a run higher than the ERA.

I guess if you only have two starting pitchers by feb 15th he's a good sign.

He is a good sign.  He isn't a TOR and your post below is definitely cause for alarm....but still.  Cheap healthy inning eater.

57 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not a fan of Cashner, and his success last year seemed very fluky.   But 2/$16 mm is cheaper and shorter than I would have suspected.    Now I’m just going to cross my fingers and hope his good ground ball rates (15th among qualifiers last year, and pretty typical for him) hold up and some strikeouts return.   

This is a good deal...and we didn't trade anyone or have to lose a pick.  Is he good well...he is ok.

39 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I am going to repost this piece I found on reddit's baseball page.

This is scary.

23 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Possbile 41m contract over 3 years?  Does that mean Angelos is not selling the team and Dan is getting an extension?

I know you are joking, but I think this fits the sale mode and Dan is leaving when his contract is up no matter what Angelos wants.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We just signed the guy for 2/$16 mm guaranteed.    I know he can exceed that if he hits his incentives — and I hope he does — but my guess is he’d have preferred 2/$20 mm guaranteed.   

He doesn't get the $2/20 but he CAN double it if he performs.   This is very good work by GM.   Or Brady.... :) 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MatthewW said:

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that I think that Ynoa deserves a spot in the starting rotation... My point is simply, for a team with so few resources, why would you spend $8M for the same production as someone you already have? 

Because Cashner’s track record is significantly better than his projection, and Ynoa’s projection has a very high degree of uncertainty because he basically has no major league track record.    

It wouldn’t shock me if Ynoa has a better year than Cashner, but the odds of Ynoa being unable to post even a 5.75 ERA are probably in the 40% range, whereas with Cashner those chances are more like 10%.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

He doesn't get the $2/20 but he CAN double it if he performs.   This is very good work by GM.   Or Brady.... :) 

I give Dan an A for creativity on this one.    I still don’t love the signing, but the contract is clever and limits the downside.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Because Cashner’s track record is significantly better than his projection, and Ynoa’s projection has a very high degree of uncertainty because he basically has no major league track record.    

It wouldn’t shock me if Ynoa has a better year than Cashner, but the odds of Ynoa being unable to post even a 5.75 ERA are probably in the 40% range, whereas with Cashner those chances are more like 10%.

I'm not a huge fan of those type of projections, but if Ynoa outperforms Cashner, so be it. 

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

AGreed.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm mostly looking at the 4.6 K rate, the 3.5 walk rate and the FIP being over a run higher than the ERA.

I guess if you only have two starting pitchers by feb 15th he's a good sign.

Faint praise indeed. Agree for he most part though, I mean he's better than what we have, but has some red flags.

Fastball, change, cutter guy with an occasional curveball that's not very good. Probably a 5th starter on good teams but right now is a 3rd starter. I'd feel better with this signing if Cobb or Lynn were signed as well.