Why is Machado Playing SS This Season?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Good article.  I don't know that I believe the metrics though.  He doesn't look like the worst shortstop in baseball out there to the eye.  I am not seeing much difference between him and Hardy except Hardy was a little more solid and Manny makes plays to his right that Hardy can't make.  Also, there have been some issues with Machado being slow on the double play.

I know that you can't just use the eye test, but defense stats are notoriously inaccurate in a small sample size.  

Still would prefer him at 3rd, but think trade value better at SS.

Finally, he may be hitting better because he isn't getting beat up at 3rd.  Cal said 3rd was much harder on his body.

But unless you have a real butcher out there for some team there isn't going to be a big difference between average and worst.

Also worth considering who may be looking for a SS versus who may be looking for a 3B.  I think it may only be the Cubs and Diamondbacks looking for a SS while it could be the Red Sox, Angles, Nats and maybe even the Yankees (if Andujar continuing to col off) looking for a 3B.  

21 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Manny clearly desired to play SS.  He's never even denied it.   Buck acquiesced. 

That and even if we wanted to switch him back, we couldn't because we don't have anyone to man SS with Beckham out.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, but how much better?

To average?

I don't see any reason, physically, why Manny can't be above average at short.  But, even if he peaks at league average, with his bat, that's a major difference maker.

SSS warning. But check out Fangraph 's  inside edge fielding. Compare J.J.'s 2016 numbers when he was still a well above average SS with Manny's this season so far. Manny is doing better so far. Point being J.J. was no faster than Manny , what made him a good SS? Manny's arm is as good of not better. I would say positioning, experience, and consistency. All things Manny can acquire.

Just now, elgordo said:

SSS warning. But check out Fangraph 's  inside edge fielding. Compare J.J.'s 2016 numbers when he was still a well above average SS with Manny's this season so far. Manny is doing better so far. Point being J.J. was no faster than Manny , what made him a good SS? Manny's arm is as good of not better. I would say positioning, experience, and consistency. All things Manny can acquire.

On 5/17/2018 at 1:05 PM, Can_of_corn said:

But unless you have a real butcher out there for some team there isn't going to be a big difference between average and worst.

Article makes him seem to be a real butcher.

Among the 25 shortstops who have played at least 250 innings this year, he ranks last in both advanced defensive metrics displayed at FanGraphs, with negative-5 defensive runs saved and a negative-3.6 ultimate zone rating. In the latter stat, Machado is so far back from the pack that 24th-place Trea Turner is as close to 11th place as he is to Machado

Archived