Tillman back. Are we happy?

esmd

If I was the team offering him 10 million, it would have to include a following one year year team only option for the same amount with no buyout to Tillman.  So if I take the 10 million risk and he turns back into the previous Tillman, then I get 2 years of pre 2017 Tillman at 10 per year. 

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

And sadly, he may just need some decent pitching coaches. Ours always seem to suck. Highly prized pitching prospects don't turn out with us. Good pitchers come to us and stink. Bad pitchers leave us and look like Cy Young. Best thing for Tillman is to get out of Baltimore.

In all fairness, sometimes the player doesn't take the coaching advice.

I think EdRod fit into that category, the trade, was a wakeup call for him.

23 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

In all fairness, sometimes the player doesn't take the coaching advice.

I think EdRod fit into that category, the trade, was a wakeup call for him.

Could be.  At the same time, from what I've read on a on a few of our guys that we let go, it sounds more like the issue was the coaching advice (and scouting/rating)  moreso than the player not taking it.  Arrietta, for example.....didn't the Cubs just let him go back to what previously worked for him?  His stuff was ALWAYS there.....similarly to David Hernandez when we had him.  Same with Angels and Bridwell.....

Here's an excerpt from an LA Times article by Pedro Moura:

"Six years later, Bridwell made it to the major leagues last August, pitching out of Baltimore’s bullpen. In his second game, he served up a grand slam to Washington’s Daniel Murphy. The next day, he was demoted to triple A. MLB rosters expanded one week later, but the Orioles never brought him back up, though they still sent him a playoff share.

His status within the organization continued to decline, and in April, Baltimore sold him to the depth-deprived Angels for cash. After a month of building up stamina as a starter, he was in the majors. The Angels showed him a series of cut-up videos indicating the location of his pitches that the opposition had been hitting, and presented evidence that he would be better off throwing fewer fastballs.

That was a shock. For years, the Orioles had harped on the importance of establishing and locating four-seam fastballs. This season, he has halved his four-seam usage in favor of a cutter, slider and sinker, and six of his seven outings as an Angel have been successful."

I don't have any explanation, other than when it comes to pitching.......the Orioles just don't have the right people in the right spots....reminds me of the Ravens and wide receivers.

2 minutes ago, CP0861 said:

Could be.  At the same time, from what I've read on a on a few of our guys that we let go, it sounds more like the issue was the coaching advice (and scouting/rating)  moreso than the player not taking it.  Arrietta, for example.....didn't the Cubs just let him go back to what previously worked for him?  His stuff was ALWAYS there.....similarly to David Hernandez when we had him.  Same with Angels and Bridwell.....

Here's an excerpt from an LA Times article by Pedro Moura:

"Six years later, Bridwell made it to the major leagues last August, pitching out of Baltimore’s bullpen. In his second game, he served up a grand slam to Washington’s Daniel Murphy. The next day, he was demoted to triple A. MLB rosters expanded one week later, but the Orioles never brought him back up, though they still sent him a playoff share.

His status within the organization continued to decline, and in April, Baltimore sold him to the depth-deprived Angels for cash. After a month of building up stamina as a starter, he was in the majors. The Angels showed him a series of cut-up videos indicating the location of his pitches that the opposition had been hitting, and presented evidence that he would be better off throwing fewer fastballs.

That was a shock. For years, the Orioles had harped on the importance of establishing and locating four-seam fastballs. This season, he has halved his four-seam usage in favor of a cutter, slider and sinker, and six of his seven outings as an Angel have been successful."

I don't have any explanation, other than when it comes to pitching.......the Orioles just don't have the right people in the right spots....reminds me of the Ravens and wide receivers.

There is probably some truth here for sure.

Fault can usually be found on both parties.

I think other systems have similar failures, but we dont have the same intimate knowledge of those teams.

7 out of 10 prospects dont pan out, and there is a variety of reasons for that, and coaching is probably just one of many.

6 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Name a good pitcher that came here and failed.

2 hours ago, twinedenter said:

There hasn't been any. Of course. there hasn't been any "good" pitchers acquired by this current front office, save for a few relievers. 

38 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Chen was good while he was in Baltimore.

o

As was Miguel Gonzalez.

Jason Hammel had one good year and one bad year in his 2-year Orioles stint after being acquired by Duquette.

o

I think he meant, “the Orioles haven’t brought in a pitcher with a track record of being consistently good in the majors leagues in a couple of decades.”    Like maybe since Jimmy Key?    I wouldn’t count Ubaldo, who certainly had several good years but was hardly consistent.   

• 2 months later...

Free-agent righty Chris Tillman had multiple offers in hand as of yesterday afternoon, per MLB.com’s Britt Ghiroli (Twitter link), though the Orioles had not yet made him a formal offer to return at that point.

mlbtraderumors

Heard today Chris Tillman has a few offers. Os are not one of them. (At least for now.)

Brittany Ghiroli twitter

Archived