What is the O's best defensive outfield?

wildcard

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our best defensive OF has Mullins in CF and Jones in a corner.    But we won’t see that in 2018 is my guess, because Mullins isn’t ready for the majors, and even if he gets called up late in the season, the O’s aren’t going to move Jones to a new position at that time of year.   

Going by who's going to be on the team in 2018, I'd say Rasmus or Rickard in LF, Jones in CF, and Hays or Rasmus in RF.  And I only say that because I haven't seen enough of Hays to form an opinion.  It may very well end up that Mancini, Jones, and Hays is your starting OF on many days, with Rasmus being the late-inning defensive replacement for Mancini.  On days that Rasmus starts over I guess Hays, in late innings, Hays could enter the game in late innings for Mancini, with Rasmus sliding over to LF and Hays playing RF.  Just a guess at this point, really.

With the players in Spring Training? Just purely on defense.

LF - Jones/Rasmus

CF - Mullins

RF - Hays

With the players in the organization?

LF - Mullins

CF - Ring

RF - Hays/Jones

Mullins is likely a little better centerfielder than Ring but it's really close and Ring has a much better arm and you could position them in a way to let Mullins still cover a ton of ground.

Billingsley is also a very good defensive outfielder.

Edit: I know Rasmus has been a very good defender, I'm just not ready to assume he can still play like that at 31 coming off a hip injury.

35 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I'm not a scout but he looked good last year in ST and hit when he was healthy. I hope he has a big spring and forces the FO to make some tough calls.

Just my opinion, but there’s nothing Mullins can do this spring that would put him on the Opening Day roster.   He finished last year in.a major funk and needs to show consistency rather than a good few at bats in spring games.   

3 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

LF - Jones/Rasmus

CF - Mullins

RF - Hays

LF - Mullins

CF - Ring

RF - Hays/Jones

Mullins is likely a little better centerfielder than Ring but it's really close and Ring has a much better arm and you could position them in a way to let Mullins still cover a ton of ground.

Edit: I know Rasmus has been a very good defender, I'm just not ready to assume he can still play like that at 31 coming off a hip injury.

I really hadn’t realized until recently that Ring was such a good defender.   

Given the outfield that (as of today), I envision making--or having a reasonable shot to make--the Major League roster, the best defensive alignment would be Rasmus, Jones, Hays.

I think the main starting outfield could be: Mancini, Jones, Hays with Rasmus as a fourth OFer getting ABs for all three, particularly against tough righties.

I think it's also possible that the RF spot becomes a platton with Rasmus and Gentry with Hays in Triple-A.

8 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

LF - Jones/Rasmus

CF - Mullins

RF - Hays

LF - Mullins

CF - Ring

RF - Hays/Jones

Definitely agree with this if we're talking who the O's could put out there for the best defense in the outfield.

But, in reality, Mancini is going to be in LF pretty much every day. Jones is going to be in CF. In RF, it'll be some combination of Santander, Rasmus, and Rickard. I don't see how Hays doesn't start the year at AAA.

Just now, Frobby said:

I really hadn’t realized until recently that Ring was such a good defender.   

I had seen the metrics from Clay Davenport and from Baseball Prospectus, but I'm naturally cautious about trusting those too much. I don't like his swing at all, so I was really low on him and didn't plan on going through video and watching him specifically. Well, while watching video on Dietz, Peluffo, and Wells I saw just consistent amazing defense, just wonderful defense. He was playing in RF mostly (because they are developing McKenna in CF), but first step, range, arm. Great combination of consistent and spectacular. I mean there isn't a ton of Sally league video, so the looks were somewhat limited, but I'm confident in saying he's right with Mullins as the best OF in the system.

Just now, theocean said:

Definitely agree with this if we're talking who the O's could put out there for the best defense in the outfield.

But, in reality, Mancini is going to be in LF pretty much every day. Jones is going to be in CF. In RF, it'll be some combination of Santander, Rasmus, and Rickard. I don't see how Hays doesn't start the year at AAA.

Yeah, not pitching these combinations as realities, just following the prompt.

Archived