Best Defensive Catcher?

Bahama O's Fan

Joseph/Wynns/Sisco/Susac

Wynns and Joseph are pretty even with blocking and throwing, but I’ve got to go Joseph because he’s a good framer and we don’t know how Wynns grades out in that respect.

Sisco and Susac are similar defensively as well with decent blocking, ok arms but a slow release. Sisco is more agile and athletic, so I’ll give him the slight edge.

Found this online about Susac. I have not read anything as good about Sisco.

Andrew Susac:
3/1/2013:  Scouting Report
Has the pop to hit 20 bombs from a premium defensive position; most likely a sub .260 hitter; some on-base skills; not a stolen base threat.   The defensive profile is solid and he projects to remain behind the plate.

1/5/2015: Scouting Report
The Tools: 5 potential hit; 6 power; 5+ arm; 5 potential glove

Strengths: Advanced approach with good feel for zone; solid plus power plays in game at present; good strength; balanced swing stays on plane and allows for hard contact pole to pole; natural backspin and carry; improving actions behind the plate; capable defender who could refine to average overall producer with glove; above-average arm with solid release and accuracy.

Questions like these motivate the avid fan to want to spend five weeks in Florida every Spring.

25 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Joseph/Wynns/Sisco/Susac

Wynns and Joseph are pretty even with blocking and throwing, but I’ve got to go Joseph because he’s a good framer and we don’t know how Wynns grades out in that respect.

Sisco and Susac are similar defensively as well with decent blocking, ok arms but a slow release. Sisco is more agile and athletic, so I’ll give him the slight edge.

Also Caleb knows the pitchers.

I know this is a defense thread but how is Sisco so underrated?  I think for the most part people that do scouting reports just kind of copy and paste from a reports they’ve read, on the national level. So with that in mind, consider that Sisco wasn’t even in BA’s top 500 prospects when we took him in the 2nd rd. That pick got killed until Sisco raked at every level. 

Plus how can you properly evaluate a C without watching him behind the plate 10+ times. We don’t need scouting reports on any of these after ST. We’re all going to see a ton of Sisco, Mullins, Hays, Santander, Scott, Stewart, Mountcastle, And our young arms this ST to see for ourselves. 

Tear up the scouting reports from some national writer that just copied someone else’s work. Watch the guys play. Games start in a few hours. 

18 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I know this is a defense thread but how is Sisco so underrated?  I think for the most part people that do scouting reports just kind of copy and paste from a reports they’ve read, on the national level. So with that in mind, consider that Sisco wasn’t even in BA’s top 500 prospects when we took him in the 2nd rd. That pick got killed until Sisco raked at every level. 

Plus how can you properly evaluate a C without watching him behind the plate 10+ times. We don’t need scouting reports on any of these after ST. We’re all going to see a ton of Sisco, Mullins, Hays, Santander, Scott, Stewart, Mountcastle, And our young arms this ST to see for ourselves. 

Tear up the scouting reports from some national writer that just copied someone else’s work. Watch the guys play. Games start in a few hours. 

"Can't Catch"

9 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Joseph/Wynns/Sisco/Susac

Hope you are right about this. 

If Sisco is better than Susac than I wonder what the appeal of Susac is other than having another depth piece.  

18 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Hope you are right about this. 

If Sisco is better than Susac than I wonder what the appeal of Susac is other than having another depth piece.  

The Orioles are light on catchers. They wanted Pena back. Levy is hurt. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

The Orioles are light on catchers. They wanted Pena back. Levy is hurt. 

All I am saying is if Susac is worse than Sisco defensively than I would have went in a different direction. 

I get the impression that if Sisco winds up average defensively the Orioles would be ecstatic.  

4 hours ago, eddie83 said:

All I am saying is if Susac is worse than Sisco defensively than I would have went in a different direction. 

I get the impression that if Sisco winds up average defensively the Orioles would be ecstatic.  

It was just a depth move, cheap catchers with some MLB upside to provide depth in AAA don’t grow on trees. I think too many people read too much into it.

Archived