Is this why the Orioles can't break through?

Bradysburns

I keep wondering why the Orioles' farm system has sucked for so long. I keep wondering why we can't quite seem to break through and win a World Series. Then I see this article about the Yankees' amazing farm system... even AFTER trading away "star" prospects year after year. 

I think this list of International Free Agent signings pretty much tells the story. It's from 2017. The Orioles' list stands out from all the others, as you'll see. 

Then you think about the Yankees' Stanton trade. They traded away Jose Devers (Dominican) and Jorge Guzman (Dominican) and Starling Castro (Dominican)... for Stanton. And the Yankees STILL have one of the best farm systems in the world. 

Now, the Orioles' lack of international signings has been "a thing" for many years. But I thought we were going to keep doing imaginative stuff on that front (Chen, for example). But alas... nada. 

It seems to me the OPPOSITE approach of what we should be taking. In the international arena, the playing field seems more equal than the domestic market... in terms of cash outlays for talent. The Orioles could compete there. But they choose not to for some reason. 

Until the Orioles get over their issue with international signings... their chance of building a Top 10 farm system is nil, IMO. And given our market size, that means our chances of winning a World Series are almost nil, also. 

Agree? Disagree? Do you approve of the Orioles' lack of international signings? Is that what has allowed them to remain at least competitive the past five years? 

Just now, Bradysburns said:

I keep wondering why the Orioles' farm system has sucked for so long. I keep wondering why we can't quite seem to break through and win a World Series. Then I see this article about the Yankees' amazing farm system... even AFTER trading away "star" prospects year after year. 

I think this list of International Free Agent signings pretty much tells the story. It's from 2017. The Orioles' list stands out from all the others, as you'll see. 

Then you think about the Yankees' Stanton trade. They traded away Jose Devers (Dominican) and Jorge Guzman (Dominican) and Starling Castro (Dominican)... for Stanton. And the Yankees STILL have one of the best farm systems in the world. 

Now, the Orioles' lack of international signings has been "a thing" for many years. But I thought we were going to keep doing imaginative stuff on that front (Chen, for example). But alas... nada. 

It seems to me the OPPOSITE approach of what we should be taking. In the international arena, the playing field seems more equal than the domestic market... in terms of cash outlays for talent. The Orioles could compete there. But they choose not to for some reason. 

Until the Orioles get over their issue with international signings... their chance of building a Top 10 farm system is nil, IMO. And given our market size, that means our chances of winning a World Series are almost nil, also. 

Agree? Disagree? Do you approve of the Orioles' lack of international signings? Is that what has allowed them to remain at least competitive the past five years? 

How does one approve of not being in a market where there is major league talent??????

Just now, Bradysburns said:

I'm presuming our ownership manages to approve that very thing! Hence... the ongoing mystery/frustration. 

Which I never have been able to wrap my hands around. With his strong greek background, its obvious that he isn't one of those guys that doesn't like non-americans? So it can't be racial.

I can understand not going after the high dollar end of the market, too.

I think its two things: I don't believe the Orioles international scouting or entire scouting department is that great and I don't think top level international players want to play for Baltimore, due to the allure or not being able to get the dollars.  Also, I feel like O's are always buyers at the deadline, so any above average prospect that may be great in the future gets dealt.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

The Orioles lack of international signings are pathetic.

I would add "completely confounding." I think PA had some traumatic experience there dealing with a shady operator or two back in the Wild West days... and now he's scared off for good. He seems like a guy with a LONG memory. Look at how the Albert Belle signing put us off signing top FA's for years and years... 

I'm starting to think this international signing issue is THE issue holding us back. Our competitors are selecting from a MUCH broader pool of talent... thanks to OUR front office! 

If you look at the Yankees' farm system, 10 of their top 30 prospects are international! Take those 10 players out of their system... and they don't have a Top 10 system. 

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I'm not sure about this, but I'm pretty sure Angelos has a moral objection to Buscones.

Or something.

That's what I remember reading, too. But even if you wanted to have a radical "never talk to DR buscones" policy... would that keep you out of every other international market, too? 

1 minute ago, Bradysburns said:

That's what I remember reading, too. But even if you wanted to have a radical "never talk to DR buscones" policy... would that keep you out of every other international market, too? 

I have very little knowledge of how the system works, but maybe other Latin American countries have adopted the same operating model as DR

4 minutes ago, joelala said:

I have very little knowledge of how the system works, but maybe other Latin American countries have adopted the same operating model as DR

Same here, but to pull out of international signings entirely seems like throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Don't we have an "academy" in the DR, anyway? If so, how do we square that fact with our lack of interest in DR talent? 

The Yankees have an excellent farm system right now.    It was considered very average going in to 2015, 2016, 2017.   Largely, they jumped from middle of the pack to near the top by the brilliant, top-of-the-market trades that Brian Cashman made when he dumped Andrew Miller, Aroldis Chapman and others at the 2016 trade deadline.    And, they were probably moving up anyway.

Ever since MLB capped international spending, it has not been possible for the Yankees to gain tremendous advantage by vastly outspending other teams on international players.     There are lots of teams who spend as much or close in the international market as the Yankees these days.   The O’s don’t happen to be one of them.    They’re the outlier, not the Yankees.

42 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

I would add "completely confounding." I think PA had some traumatic experience there dealing with a shady operator or two back in the Wild West days... and now he's scared off for good. He seems like a guy with a LONG memory. Look at how the Albert Belle signing put us off signing top FA's for years and years... 

I'm starting to think this international signing issue is THE issue holding us back. Our competitors are selecting from a MUCH broader pool of talent... thanks to OUR front office! 

If you look at the Yankees' farm system, 10 of their top 30 prospects are international! Take those 10 players out of their system... and they don't have a Top 10 system. 

The Miguel sano situation. We were going to sign him. This movie explains it all,

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1885335/

On Netflix I believe. 

Archived