Something has to be done with Mark Trumbo

interloper

• 3-16 so far this spring with 0 XBH and 1 RBI. 
  • Bordick called him out already for seeming "in between" at the plate this spring (after being in between all of last year, basically).
  • Compelling platoon bats already on the team in Valencia/Alvarez (and perhaps Walker, if signed) who are hard to fit into the roster unless the DH is free. These bats would almost certainly out-perform any Trumbo season that is not a 2016-esque career year.
  • Essentially untradeable.
  • He's not even great against LHP (.763 last year) and basically Valencia-esque vs RHP (.658). 

What the hell is to be done with Mark Trumbo? The Orioles have to know that the team is better and more flexible without him on it. 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, clapdiddy said:

Too early to bury Trumbo, though I hated re-signing him.

I strongly disagree. The eye-test is not good from what I can tell. He appears to be in the same place as last year. He hasn't hit anything hard, he's taken 1 walk to 9 K's. 

I just think it's interesting that the team went out and got these platoon bats who could easily slide in at DH. Trumbo was at one point in his career better than Pedro Alvarez, but I don't think that's the case now. It's certainly not the case with an Alvarez/Valencia platoon. 

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

I strongly disagree. The eye-test is not good from what I can tell. He appears to be in the same place as last year. He hasn't hit anything hard, he's taken 1 walk to 9 K's. 

I just think it's interesting that the team went out and got these platoon bats who could easily slide in at DH. Trumbo was at one point in his career better than Pedro Alvarez, but I don't think that's the case now. It's certainly not the case with an Alvarez/Valencia platoon. 

An Alvarez/Valencia platoon is way better than Trumbo at this point in his career.  

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

An Alvarez/Valencia platoon is way better than Trumbo at this point in his career.  

That's what I'm saying. And the Orioles know that, IMO. So... if they're not turning over every rock trying to figure out how to get Trumbo off of this roster, they certainly should be.

If it is true that ownership gave Duquette the go-ahead to cut Jiminez a couple of years ago which was reported many times I would imagine the same would be true for Trumbo so I think it's possible, especially with the club bringing in and looking at so many platoon types, that they will cut Trumbo loose if he still looks bad by opening day.

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

I agree that I'd rather see an Alvarez/Valencia platoon over Trumbo.   It was dumb to re-sign the guy.  I just think it's too early to tell if he's REALLY this bad for the whole season.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

That's what I'm saying. And the Orioles know that, IMO. So... if they're not turning over every rock trying to figure out how to get Trumbo off of this roster, they certainly should be.

I think the only way that happens is if Trumbo is hot in the first half, and even then O's will need to eat a portion of his contract.  I can't imagine the Orioles cutting Trumbo and eating two years of his contract.  

Just now, clapdiddy said:

I agree that I'd rather see an Alvarez/Valencia platoon over Trumbo.   It was dumb to re-sign the guy.  I just think it's too early to tell if he's REALLY this bad for the whole season.

Yeah, fair. I mean he wont' keep up a pace of 3-16 (now 3-19 with today's game) all season. 

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

I agree with VAB.  Trumbo can be cut if he needs to be.  Way to many options.  I don't think he gets a guaranteed spot at all.  But I also think the string is longer than spring training.....

If by cut you mean packaged with a first round pick you might be onto something.

Archived