What is your opinion of shielding the starters?

accinfo

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

April starter ERA’s under Buck (full year in parentheses):

2017 - 4.22 (5.70)

2016 - 4.55 (4.72)

2015 - 5.06 (4.53)

2014 - 4.74 (3.61)

2013 - 4.55 (4.57)

2012 - 3.63 (4.42)

2011 - 4.03 (5.39)

All over the map, and tons of noise, but on average about 0.31 lower than during the full season.    So, I can’t say whether Buck’s “hide the starter” thing helps, but in any event it doesn’t seem to hurt.

What are the similar stats before Buck became manager?   Balls tend to carry more during the summer.

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

What are the similar stats before Buck became manager?   Balls tend to carry more during the summer.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but you can look this up and post it as easily as I can.

I think it's garbage because it keeps fans from seeing their favorite pitchers. This year Buck seems to be using sim games more than ever, so his starters don't even get seen in B games or minor league games. I'm surprised MLB hasn't raised a stink about it.

People spend good money to go to Florida and see their favorite players. They don't take vacation time to watch Binketybink Reynolds from the South Alaskan Good Luck Trophy League start a spring training game because the manager is afraid that his sucky rotation will get over-exposed.

Ticket prices at Ed Smith stadium cost $!9-33, but you won't see Gausman or Bundy because they just pitched  a sim game. Stinks.

I know baseball is just a TV show now, but can't they leave some things for the fans, like letting them see their favorite players in action?

Actually, a big part of why I go to spring training is to see the young guys who are fighting for spots or who are talented but maybe a year away.   I’d rather see Hunter Harvey than Tillman, just to see what the guy looks like.    I’d love to see Cortes pitch.    

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Actually, a big part of why I go to spring training is to see the young guys who are fighting for spots or who are talented but maybe a year away.   I’d rather see Hunter Harvey than Tillman, just to see what the guy looks like.    I’d love to see Cortes pitch.    

You'd see Harvey and Cortes pitch, anyway. It's Aquino you'd miss.

2 hours ago, atomic said:

It might make sense if it were a couple of games they were missing but seems like most games are against AL East or Twins.  Starting March 20 they have 5 straight games against those teams.   

If they want to do this move spring training to Arizona.   And it were effective then why not just sign guys who have only pitched in National league.   Guys need to pitch in real games. 

Buck is overrated as a manager.   Before DD got here the team was just as bad under Trembley.  The one improvement I saw was better fundamentals.  He thinks he is smarter than he is.   Sending Chen to the minors so he doesn't face a good team against left handed.  Picking Jimenez to pitch in playoff game instead of Briton.   Not giving guys days off.   Sticking with guys because they are veterans even though they are threw.    

Now that you got that off your chest what else is ailing you? 

2 hours ago, atomic said:

It might make sense if it were a couple of games they were missing but seems like most games are against AL East or Twins.  Starting March 20 they have 5 straight games against those teams.   

If they want to do this move spring training to Arizona.   And it were effective then why not just sign guys who have only pitched in National league.   Guys need to pitch in real games. 

Buck is overrated as a manager.   Before DD got here the team was just as bad under Trembley.  The one improvement I saw was better fundamentals.  He thinks he is smarter than he is.   Sending Chen to the minors so he doesn't face a good team against left handed.  Picking Jimenez to pitch in playoff game instead of Briton.   Not giving guys days off.   Sticking with guys because they are veterans even though they are threw.    

Buck makes mistakes. Every manager does. I am not one of Bucks apologist. I want to see him replaced. DD too.  As for the OP on  Buck I don't know how to answer that question. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

If I were to go to Florida I'd want to see the young guys. Not Kevin G. Not any of the starters. You will see plenty of them during the season. 

9 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

If I were to go to Florida I'd want to see the young guys. Not Kevin G. Not any of the starters. You will see plenty of them during the season. 

Yeah, I don't really want to see any of the veterans in the spring. I could hardly care less how veterans perform in spring training as well.

1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

Buck makes mistakes. Every manager does. I am not one of Bucks apologist. I want to see him replaced. DD too.  As for the OP on  Buck I don't know how to answer that question. 

Who do you want to replace him with? Girardi? 

Archived