Buck lays into Mountcastle during "reassignment to minor camp" and possible new position?

Legend_Of_Joey

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No, but if you have to publicly embarrass an employee to get a reaction I think you as a leader are doing something wrong.

This thread parallels so many things..

I agree with you Corn. #respect

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Holy snikees batman. Maybe Buck should give them all participation trophies. Ridiculous.

Everywhere I have worked, including the military had the same policy.  A boss has an issue with a worker they take the worker aside and work it out.  You don't do it in front of everyone.  You certainty don't pull some aside and go public with others.

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

And he reinforced the message to Hays by letting the public know that Hays got the same message.   Subtle, but effective.   Buck is very good at recognizing what different people at different stages and different levels need.   Like Crash Davis advice to the minor league manager..."they are just kids....scare them" which leads to the "lollygagging" tirade.     Buck is tougher on rookies and minor leaguers because they need it  (and there is still a whiff of the Billy Martin school that comes out when Buck is reacting to a minor leaguer....like "hey rookie, you are a rookie, you can follow this or you can laugh about it and stay on the bus in Norfolk for the rest of your life."  

That's a good point that he's reinforcing the message to Hays that way.  Maybe he thinks Mountcastle can take the criticism straight on better than Hays can.  More likely Buck was just pissed off by Mountcastle giggling.  And Hays probably answered in him in a more mature manner - kinda like you'd expect a guy 2 years older to do.     

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No, but if you have to publicly embarrass an employee to get a reaction I think you as a leader are doing something wrong.

I don't know that I'd characterize Buck's interview as embarrassing Mountcastle.  I think he was having trouble getting through to him, and changed strategy a bit.  If Mountcastle is a little embarrassed I think that's the point.

And if you, as a leader, can't get through to 100% your charges with your preferred method of communication maybe that's sometimes because you've been given a blockhead.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Schoop did walk 66% more this year then previous year so maybe Buck said something to him.  Jon was a different hitter this year and although he didn't walk a crazy amount of time that increase allowed him to have a big season.  You are not just going to tell a guy that does not walk much to start walking and then all the sudden they will walk 100 times.  Schoop had more walks last season in 600 Ab's then he did in the previous season and 900 Ab's.  Manny looked like he was going to be a guy with a decent walk rate two years ago with 70 walks but for whatever reason seemed to go away from that last year.  I also think a part of that was that with Davis really struggling Manny put lot more pressure on himself to try and drive guys in compared to when Davis was protecting him. 

I'm hopeful that the increase is sustainable for Schoop but a lot of it might have just been tied to pitchers being more careful in their approach.

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't know that I'd characterize Buck's interview as embarrassing Mountcastle.  I think he was having trouble getting through to him, and changed strategy a bit.  If Mountcastle is a little embarrassed I think that's the point.

And if you, as a leader, can't get through to 100% your charges with your preferred method of communication maybe that's sometimes because you've been given a blockhead.

That's the problem though - Mountcastle comes out looking like a blockhead to the average person reading what Buck said.   

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, interloper said:

Also let's please trade this guy for pitching. Attitude issues plus discipline issues plus can't defend. But teams will want this guy. 

I am not sure how this is categorized as attitude problem.  I have told players things and might have one guy that says yes yes and ok all the time then in game action not change one bit and i have told other players things and it looked like they could care less and it was a joke but then in the game or even in preparation they did everything that I was suggesting to improve.  As they say the proof will be in the pudding. 

Just now, bpilktree said:

I am not sure how this is categorized as attitude problem.  I have told players things and might have one guy that says yes yes and ok all the time then in game action not change one bit and i have told other players things and it looked like they could care less and it was a joke but then in the game or even in preparation they did everything that I was suggesting to improve.  As they say the proof will be in the pudding. 

I agree, I've already mentioned in this thread that "attitude" was a poor choice of words.

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

This is Mountcastle's first big league camp right?  He has no realistic path to the big league club this year right?

I'd give him a bit more or a chance before I consigned him to blockhead status.

I have no issue with Buck laying into him.  None.  Have at it.

I just don't see the win in taking things public with kids in the minors and rookies.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

This is Mountcastle's first big league camp right?  He has no realistic path to the big league club this year right?

I just don't see the win in taking things public with kids in the minors and rookies.

Maybe he feels that's the best way to get through to him. Seems like the kids feels himself a little much, maybe it'll be good for him to see his name out there. I certainly trust Buck to know when to go hard like this and which players it has a chance of working on. It might not work, but I know one thing - Buck certainly has a better idea than us.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm hopeful that the increase is sustainable for Schoop but a lot of it might have just been tied to pitchers being more careful in their approach.

Based on observation, I’d say it was more Schoop laying off bad pitches than pitchers being more careful.   We know his swing rate on pitches outside the zone drooped from 43% to 37%.

30 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You are right.  Buck has no problem publicly calling out kids in the minors or rookies but if he does talk to his vets it is in such a way to help shield them from outside scrutiny.

Me, I think that if calling Mountcastle out in public is a good idea than maybe calling Davis out in public for his called third strike issue might be a good idea as well.

So yea, I think he should afford all his players the same level of respect.

I disagree with this.  Or at least what I think you mean by it...  I think Buck is a professional and as such has years of demonstrating respect.  Respect for the game, respect for the organization, respect for his guys and respect for the role he plays as manager.  How that respect plays out on any given person or issue is not likely to be done by a cookie cutter.  Kinda like saying a parent should love all of their kids the same.  I have 4, I love each of them with all of my heart.  They are completely different individuals and have different strengths and weaknesses.  As such they are not necessarily treated the same in every situation.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think it is good business to embarrass any of your employees in public.

I don't think this would qualify as embarrassing an employee in public.   Without question he is calling out a player...and reinforcing it by saying he has had similar conversations with Hays.  But I am almost certain that Buck would say that he is trying to do the kid a favor...because he genuinely cares about him having success.  Now, I think he did try to embarrass say...Kim while here...he basically said I don't think he can play here.  That was a shot at DD I feel certain, and not at Kim.  

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Of course ultimately the issue with Hays was also made public.

So I guess if you aren't one of his vets it doesn't matter how you take the criticism.

Honestly, I think you are just being crotchety and snarky here...so I will move on since we have both made our points. ;) 

Just now, interloper said:

Maybe he feels that's the best way to get through to him. Seems like the kids feels himself a little much, maybe it'll be good for him to see his name out there. I certainly trust Buck to know when to go hard like this and which players it has a chance of working on. It might not work, but I know one thing - Buck certainly has a better idea than us.

While I don't have names at hand this isn't new for Buck.

And like I said, it's Mountcastle's first big league camp.  Should Buck really be out of ideas on how to get through to him already?

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I’m not ready to call him a blockhead, either.    But I don’t necessarily have a problem with Buck making his discussion public, if he thinks that’s going to help get his point across.    We’ll see what happens with Mountcastle now.   

Just now, foxfield said:

I disagree with this.  Or at least what I think you mean by it...  I think Buck is a professional and as such has years of demonstrating respect.  Respect for the game, respect for the organization, respect for his guys and respect for the role he plays as manager.  How that respect plays out on any given person or issue is not likely to be done by a cookie cutter.  Kinda like saying a parent should love all of their kids the same.  I have 4, I love each of them with all of my heart.  They are completely different individuals and have different strengths and weaknesses.  As such they are not necessarily treated the same in every situation.

I don't think this would qualify as embarrassing an employee in public.   Without question he is calling out a player...and reinforcing it by saying he has had similar conversations with Hays.  But I am almost certain that Buck would say that he is trying to do the kid a favor...because he genuinely cares about him having success.  Now, I think he did try to embarrass say...Kim while here...he basically said I don't think he can play here.  That was a shot at DD I feel certain, and not at Kim.  

Honestly, I think you are just being crotchety and snarky here...so I will move on since we have both made our points. ;) 

I'm always crotchety and snarky.

Have been since I was a teen.

Classic case of premature curmudgeonism.

You still shouldn't call out kids in public.

• Upvote 2