Yanks sign Ponson.

gallden

LOL I was waiting for these reactions.

This is how my Cub fan brethren reflexively view any comparable signing by the $%* Cardinals. Whatever dreck they sign off of the scrapheap seems suddenly to pitch like Pedro or hit like Bonds.

Whenever a desperation signing like this it happens, there's not so much snickering as a sense of imminent dread.

I'm not even saying that I think Ponson will be an integral part of a WS. Him just being on a WS-winning team is bad enough for me.

On the other hand, Bedard I could definitely see winning big games for them in the post season.

I'm not even saying that I think Ponson will be an integral part of a WS. Him just being on a WS-winning team is bad enough for me.

On the other hand, Bedard I could definitely see winning big games for them in the post season.

Providing he doesn't have to throw more than 100 pitches...

(Sorry, just couldn't resist)

... This is how my Cub fan brethren reflexively view any comparable signing by the $%* Cardinals. Whatever dreck they sign off of the scrapheap seems suddenly to pitch like Pedro or hit like Bonds...

You mean like signing Jim Edwards after he was released by the Padres?

I Split            BA   OBP   SLG   OPS          Last 7 days     .412  .421  .706 1.127    Last 14 days    .344  .389  .500  .889  Last 28 days    .345  .383  .600  .983

Signing "dreck" off the scrap heap is just playing the lottery. Sometimes you have a streak of good luck. More often, it remains "dreck".

The past two years:

2007Gary Bennett         .252  .286  .335Kelly Stinnett       .159  .207  .232Miguel Cairo         .254  .296  .343Preston Wilson       .219  .265  .313Russell Branyan      .188  .333  .281Brian Barden         .217  .280  .261Mike Maroth       0-5   10.66Kip Wells         7-17   5.70Joel Pineiro      6-4    3.96Todd Wellemeyer   3-2    3.11   Troy Percival     3-0    1.802006Ron Belliard         .237  .295  .371Gary Bennett         .223  .274  .331Preston Wilson       .243  .300  .486Timo Perez           .194  .286  .323Larry Bigbie         .240  .321  .280Jose Vizcaino        .348  .375  .609  (23 at bats)Mike Rose            .222  .222  .222Jeff Weaver       5-4    5.18Sidney Ponson     4-4    5.24Josh Hancock      3-3    4.09Jorge Sosa        0-1    5.28Ricardo Rincon    0-0   10.80

Arguably, we've been fortunate with Wellemeyer and Piniero as castoffs, but they're more the exception than the rule. Percival was a premier closer whose career seemed to have ended due to injuries; when he found he could pitch again without pain, the Cards signed him to a minor league contract to see if he could pitch professionally again; obviously he could.

Kyle Lohse thought he could get a 5 year, $50M contract. Maybe he will next year, but this year he had to settle for a 1 year contract. He just hit the FA market at a point when GMs were getting gun shy about giving multi-year contracts to promising pitchers who hadn't yet put together a string of successful seasons. Fortunate for us, but I recall O's fans expressing relief that the O's didn't sign him.

Ludwick was a highly regarded minor league prospect whose transition to the majors was derailed for several years by injuries. The Cards signed him a couple years ago as a minor league free agent and he proved he could still hit at AAA. The last two seasons, he's demonstrated that he can also hit at the major league level. He has yet to prove that he can remain healthy, but he's hardly "dreck".

The success of the Cards this season has been more due to the success of the "Memphis Mafia", a dozen or more young players who've come up from Memphis the past couple of seasons. I include Ludwick and Ankiel in this, but it's also pitchers like McClellan, Perez, Worrell, Boggs, and Parisi, and other position players like Ryan, Mather, Schumaker, and Duncan. I don't include Brian Barton, since he is a Rule 5 pick who has never been in the Cards minor league system

The yanks sign Sidney but the take the high road with bedard anyone else find this absurdly funny. :laughlol:

"• The Bedard Watch: Much as the Yankees need pitching, we're hearing they've all but decided Erik Bedard's personality issues would make him a no-go in their always-serene clubhouse. But apparently, the Phillies haven't reached that same conclusion -- not yet, at least. Either that, or it was just a coincidence that their director of professional scouting, Chuck LaMar, showed up in Atlanta last weekend for just one game of a Braves-Mariners series -- the game Bedard started."

The yanks sign Sidney but the take the high road with bedard anyone else find this absurdly funny. :laughlol:

"• The Bedard Watch: Much as the Yankees need pitching, we're hearing they've all but decided Erik Bedard's personality issues would make him a no-go in their always-serene clubhouse. But apparently, the Phillies haven't reached that same conclusion -- not yet, at least. Either that, or it was just a coincidence that their director of professional scouting, Chuck LaMar, showed up in Atlanta last weekend for just one game of a Braves-Mariners series -- the game Bedard started."

If Sidney screws up, they can cut him. If they got Bedard and he started making a stink in the clubhouse, they couldn't just cut him, they would be stuck with him.

Seems to me 95% of the folks here agree with the Yanks' conclusion that Bedard would be a bad fit in NYC.

Just imagine what a pitcher Sidney could have been if not for being an alcoholic.

That would likely depend on how bad his supposedly bad elbow is...I imagine, though, that he'd be a decidedly happier human being. :scratchchinhmm:

Archived