Alex Cobb Once Saved a Stray Dog that was Running in Traffic

OFFNY

Mistake for him to not pitch in minors.   Buck said he was leaving it up to Cobb to decide when he was ready.   Well hitters are hitting .484 off of him.   That is pretty impressive. He is basically throw g batting practice.

o

14 OUTS: ) 8 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 3 Flyouts, 2 Lineouts

ALEXANDER MILLER COBB )))))))) (vs. D-RAYS, 4/25)

IP:llll4.67

H:llll 10 ) l(3 Doubles, 7 Singles)

R:lllll  5

BB:llll) *

SO:llll0

Pitches: l) 77  )(46 )Strikes, )31)Balls)

2018 ERA: l) 13.11 )  11.67 IP  (17 ER) 

2018 WHIP: l)  2.829  )  11.67 IP  (33 H/BB) 

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .484  )(30 for 62)

* )) Cobb also had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING  

21  lll(11 llStrikes, ll10 llllBalls)

13  lll(91 llStrikes, lll41 lllBalls)

14  lll(91 llStrikes, lll51 lllBalls)

81  lll(51 llStrikes, lll31 lllBalls)

21  lll(12 llStrikes, lll91 lllBalls) ) **

** )) Cobb recorded 2 outs before departing in the 5th inning.

o

On 4/14/2018 at 3:16 PM, OFFNY said:

o

After this game, the Orioles will (likely) be 5-10 overall.

They need to avoid the fate of what happened to the Blue Jays last season, when they started out with a 10-20 record in the first 30 games of the season, and were never able to dig themselves out of the hole that they had made for themselves.

Cashner appears to have come around fairly quickly after one clunker.

With Cobb, it remains to be seen when exactly he'll come around (probably anywhere between his 2nd and 5th start of the season.)

I'm more concerned about whether or not the Orioles can manage to tread water in the team's W-L department for the first 5 or 6 weeks of the season than I am about whether or not Cobb will return to his (usually solid) form.

o

o

I believe that Cobb was awful in his first game, a tad less awful in his 2nd game, and a little better than that in his 3rd game.

In his 2nd start, I think that he was a little better than his final line showed, although that isn't saying much.

In his 3rd start, he looked good for 4 innings before getting rocked in the 5th.

I expect him to continue to gradually improve, and he should be his usual reliable self after 5 starts ........ perhaps as early as his next start (his 4th), but no later than his 6th.

o

7 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Cobb will be fine.

I missed his first couple starts, but he looks healthy, the stuff is fine, and the command will come around.

I'm not worried about him.

o

I believe so, too. 

I'm more concerned about the fact that the Orioles as a team continue to find ways to lose games and are subsequently digging an already deep hole even deeper than I am about Cobb long-term.

o

52 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

I believe so, too. 

I'm more concerned about the fact that the Orioles as a team continue to find ways to lose games and are subsequently digging an already deep hole even deeper than I am about Cobb long-term.

o

Yeah, I had this team as a 78-80ish win true talent team, so things would need to go right for a wild card spot. Digging a hole like this makes it near impossible for a team like that to get out of.

They need to go 79-59 to get to 85 wins which would put them at least in a wild card race. That's the pace of a 92-93 win team. I don't think anyone thinks this is a 92-93 win true talent team.

16 hours ago, atomic said:

Mistake for him to not pitch in minors.   Buck said he was leaving it up to Cobb to decide when he was ready.   Well hitters are hitting .484 off of him.   That is pretty impressive. He is basically throw g batting practice.

Think about it, he's basically at Mar 20th readiness level. Any other starters ready to pitch in the major leagues on Mar 20th? It was silly for Buck to let Cobb decide on his minor league starts or not. A good leader says i understand, but we want you to go down and pitch a few games to make sure. Maybe Buck was trying to create another Buck guy.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Think about it, he's basically at March 20th readiness level. Are there any other starters ready to pitch in the Major Leagues on Mar 20th ??? It was silly for Buck to let Cobb decide whether to pitch a few games in the Minor Leagues or not. A good leader says "I understand, but we want you to go down and pitch a few games to make sure." Maybe Buck was trying to create another Buck guy.

o

I think so, too.

Last night he looked good in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th innings, and then was blown off of the field in the 5th.

He was shaky in the 1st inning, prior to his solid 2nd, 3rd, and 4th frames.

To me, he looked like a pitcher who was in about his 3rd or 4th Spring Training start ......... just like you asserted.

o