Sisco is playing himself off the 25-man in today's game (Gamethreadish)

interloper

9 minutes ago, esmd said:

I'd roll with Joseph and Susac to start the season.  Let Sisco catch every day in Norfolk and continue to work on his skills behind the plate.  

If I thought a couple more months of AAA might help Sisco’s throwing, I might agree with you.   But Sisco caught 89 games at Norfolk last year, and has something like 340 professional starts at catcher under his belt.    I’m not saying he can’t improve, but I think his chances of improving are just as good in Baltimore as they are at Norfolk.   And we can use the bat.   

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Susac had trouble getting on the field due to illness, but also has hit extremely well: .462/.579/.769. 

This is accurate. But we’ve been thoroughly warned by Brewers’ fans that it will not end well with Susac. Most common superlative: “Frustrating”.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

If I thought a couple more months of AAA might help Sisco’s throwing, I might agree with you.   But Sisco caught 89 games at Norfolk last year, and has something like 340 professional starts at catcher under his belt.    I’m not saying he can’t improve, but I think his chances of improving are just as good in Baltimore as they are at Norfolk.   And we can use the bat.   

Especially the LH bat!

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

In that case, he should be starting and catching every day.  The bat plays.  Only way he's going to improve is by being out there, IMO.  Not sitting on the bench watching Joseph.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

In fairness to myself:

1. He's been my pick as backup catcher all spring

2. I've already said my post was a bit reactionary

3. This is one game, yes, but we have many, many, many more games of Sisco making bad throws. It's the fact that this game confirms that he's still very bad at throwing the baseball that is bothersome to me. And the hesitation he showed doing so. 

Brooks made 3 E's in one inning. People like you would have DFA'd him for that. Read Frobby's thoughtful post . His arn isn't great but not as bad as it looked today and in the big picture won't cost us much. Certainly not as much as his bat will help.

1 minute ago, El Gordo said:

Brooks made 3 E's in one inning. People like you would have DFA'd him for that. Read Frobby's thoughtful post . His arn isn't great but not as bad as it looked today and in the big picture won't cost us much. Certainly not as much as his bat will help.

Today a perfect example. Cost us a run on the bad throw and drove in 2 and scored another on a very nice baserunning play.

5 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

I totally agree with Frobby's post, actually, like most of his posts. "People like me" would not DFA Brooks Freaking Robinson, a guy with a track record of being insanely good defensively for his entire career, over a bad inning. I don't know exactly who you think I am, but I'm not a damn idiot. 

Like I said, my OP was fairly reactionary, and I've admitted as much. I was watching the game live and it was a couple of really awful plays. Truly bad plays. There's no other way to say it. I'm not calling for his DFA or even his optioning. I'm lamenting that he's not improved more with the arm, that's all. 

He's the most prolific left-handed hitter to come out of our system since Nick Markakis. 

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

I would think catching 2-3 times a week up here and getting daily instruction from John Russell would be just as beneficial if not more so than catching in the minors.  The bat is ready and his OBP could be a big asset.  In the words of the immortal Viper - "Keep sending him up!"

Bingo..I might suggest that he may improve more without the day to day grind and travel in the minors....he can get hands on day to day work with the ML staff, DH,  catch on selective days...if he's not a catcher, send him back to learn another position, if not keep him up. Caleb was never going to be a ML catcher by all reports a few years back. Somehow he managed.

11 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Why not leave him down for a few weeks and get another year of control?

He’s already got 31 days of service time, so you’d need to leave him in the minors for about 6 weeks to play that game.    That’s too long to fool with it IMO.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Why not sign him to a team friendly deal?

Because...Orioles.

The big issue with Sisco has always been defense. Bat has never been an issue.

If the Orioles decide to keep 4 catchers and are able to construct the roster with enough pitching the way they want, I can see them having 3 on the MLB roster. Susac as the main backup with Sisco as a DH/PH while working on stuff during batting practice and other training. If/when someone gets hurt, they are covered.

I now believe they sent Wynns down because of this and because they didn't want 2 rookie catchers there with Sisco and Wynns, in this situation.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why not sign him to a team friendly deal?

I'm guessing the service games will be gone in the next CBA.

One option takes two parties to agree and exposes the team to risk.  The other option takes no input from the player's side.

Archived