Sisco is playing himself off the 25-man in today's game (Gamethreadish)

interloper

20 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I used to get him and Carl Yaztrs.... er Yastrzem... er Yaz mixed up.  Yaz was a lefty...  just sayin.    

Yaz was active when I could remember baseball, and the first game my Dad ever took me to Yaz got his 3001st hit.  So I never confused him with anyone.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, George Zuverink said:

"The Zuver with the Zinker"

He had some very good years with the O's before they became the best team in baseball for 16 years.  I'm sorry to note his passing.

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/scottsdale-az/george-zuverink-6114935

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/z/zuverge01.shtml

From Wikipedia: "....In 1957, Zuverink and Frank Zupo twice formed the only "Z" battery in major league history......"

2 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Also Willie Horton and the late Jim Northrup, who finished up his career with a brief stint for the Orioles in '74 and '75.

Bill Freehan was very solid (power-hitting) catcher for those teams, also.

They had quite a consistent nucleus in those days.

o

They also had Mickey Stanley a very good fielding center fielder. in the 68 series they moved Stanley to short so they could get Northrups bat in the lineup.

Orioles manager Buck Showalter said Wednesday that he envisions veteran Caleb Joseph getting more playing time than rookie Chance Sisco behind the plate early, but hopes to see that tandem grow into an equal partnership quickly.

"We'll let it develop," Showalter said. "They're both going to catch. I'm hoping that, in a perfect world, you'd be able to split it and keep them all healthy and keep them all engaged. Chance, fortunately, got here last year and got his feet wet, so I think he's another guy that once everything kind of calms down and a lot of the wheels quit turning and it settles into baseball, I think Chance will be more and more of a guy that we're going to want to put out there.

Baltimoresun.com

Archived