Ongoing Lineup Thread, 2018

OFFNY

50 minutes ago, O's are Legends said:

Maybe one of the reporters can ask him postgame, I have no idea.

With that being said I don't expect any of the reporters to ask but it would be nice if it did happen.

I do not think that Rasmus is injured. I think they want his lefty bat and skills over Pedro right now.  Mancini is not going to lose his left field job over a few botched plays this early in the season. 

The way the Orioles are constructed, there is no place for Mancini at DH. That job belongs to waiting in the wings Trumbo. 

i-dunno-620x316.jpg

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, weams said:

I do not think that Rasmus is injured. I think they want his lefty bat and skills over Pedro right now.  Mancini is not going to lose his left field job over a few botched plays this early in the season. 

The way the Orioles are constructed, there is no place for Mancini at DH. That job belongs to waiting in the wings Trumbo. 

i-dunno-620x316.jpg

It wouldn’t be over a few botched plays. It would be because you don’t put the best defensive outfielder in the lineup at DH. He plays defense instead of the first baseman you shoehorned into left last year. Rasmus only has value because he is a plus defender who can hold his own at the plate. Mancini can hit, but is a poor outfield defender, this seems rudimentary.

6 minutes ago, weams said:

It’s not a matter of losing his job.   If Mancini and Rasmus are in the same lineup, and Rasmus is healthy, then Rasmus should be playing the OF, because he’s a much better defender (not based on 1-2 botched plays from 2018 by Mancini, but based on the obvious).    

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s not a matter of losing his job.   If Mancini and Rasmus are in the same lineup, and Rasmus is healthy, then Rasmus should be playing the OF, because he’s a much better defender (not based on 1-2 botched plays from 2018 by Mancini, but based on the obvious).    

And I suggest that Mancini has been chosen as the left-fielder.

11 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

It wouldn’t be over a few botched plays. It would be because you don’t put the best defensive outfielder in the lineup at DH. He plays defense instead of the first baseman you shoehorned into left last year. Rasmus only has value because he is a plus defender who can hold his own at the plate. Mancini can hit, but is a poor outfield defender, this seems rudimentary.

Really makes the statements about prioritizing defense ring hollow.

Just now, weams said:

And I suggest that Mancini has been chosen as the left-fielder.

If so, that’s just a poor decision.    I’m fine with him in LF when someone like Trumbo or Alvarez and maybe even Santander is the DH.    Rasmus is a big upgrade over Mancini in the field.

As a reminder, Mancini was frequently replaced by a better fielder late in games last year.    16 times in 88 starts in LF.   There’s no good reason to have him in LF and have a superior fielder playing DH.

Shuffling the lineup isn't going to help anything.  These guys are what they are.  I've said it before, I'll say it again.  A bunch of first base types, station to station plodders who hack away at everything.  

When you've got a team full of guys that are all roughly the same profile, it doesn't matter where they hit.  

My favorite analogy is shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.  Have at it, fellas.  Keep shuffling that lineup and debating who should be batting leadoff and where to stick the Ghost of Chris Davis because it doesn't matter.  

In regards to Colby Rasmus, I have no idea how this guy was ever considered a top prospect.  Not that awkwardness has anything to do with baseball talent, but he reminds me of the most awkward kid on your high school team.  There's nothing inspiring about that guy at all.  Which is probably why he fits well on this team.

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Shuffling the lineup isn't going to help anything.  These guys are what they are.  I've said it before, I'll say it again.  A bunch of first base types, station to station plodders who hack away at everything.  

When you've got a team full of guys that are all roughly the same profile, it doesn't matter where they hit.  

My favorite analogy is shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.  Have at it, fellas.  Keep shuffling that lineup and debating who should be batting leadoff and where to stick the Ghost of Chris Davis because it doesn't matter.  

In regards to Colby Rasmus, I have no idea how this guy was ever considered a top prospect.  Not that awkwardness has anything to do with baseball talent, but he reminds me of the most awkward kid on your high school team.  There's nothing inspiring about that guy at all.  Which is probably why he fits well on this team.

Because he tore through the minors and had a ton of talent. He came up as a plus defending center fielder with speed, power, and plate discipline. He has 4-5 win seasons under his belt. He’s got talent, he just may not anymore.

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If so, that’s just a poor decision.    I’m fine with him in LF when someone like Trumbo or Alvarez and maybe even Santander is the DH.    Rasmus is a big upgrade over Mancini in the field.

As a reminder, Mancini was frequently replaced by a better fielder late in games last year.    16 times in 88 starts in LF.   There’s no good reason to have him in LF and have a superior fielder playing DH.

Ok. I suggest it is the decision. 

They said on the pregame that buck DH Rasmus because if you want to pinch hit for Rasmus and he was in the field,  you'd have to make two moves (one to play field) vs one if he is at DH.

Doesn't make any sense to me.

1 minute ago, capyy said:

They said on the pregame that buck DH Rasmus because if you want to pinch hit for Rasmus and he was in the field,  you'd have to make two moves (one to play field) vs one if he is at DH.

I've seen this before from Buck.

He is willing to do something damaging now to keep from having to possibly do something damaging in the future.

1 minute ago, capyy said:

Evidence that Mancini can’t be disturbed. It’s apprently going to be another “Buck guy” thing.

Archived