2018 Chris Tillman

Il BuonO

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/07/cashner-returns-to-dl.html

Showalter indicated that Chris Tillman also is a consideration for Sunday. 

Looks like the Tillman show is back on!

Well then, as far as I'm concerned, the All Star Break will start when I leave the ballpark after the game Saturday night.

If Tillman is pitching Sunday, I'm not watching.

Delmarva 1G, 3.1 IP, 2 ER, 4H, 1BB
Aberdeen 1G, 2.0 IP, 3 ER, 2H, 2 BB
Frederick 1G, 6.1 IP, 4 ER, 5H, 3 BB,1 HBP
Norfolk 2G, 9.2 IP, 9 ER, 17H, 5BB, 1 HBP

5G, 21.1 IP, 18 ER, 28H, 11BB, 2 HBP,  ERA 7.59, WHIP 1.92

But he's "consistent with his velocity."

11 hours ago, atomic said:

I don't really care one way or another at this point but I don't see what starting Tillman buys you as he most likely won't make it through the second inning. 

Hang him out to dry.  It wouldn't be the first time Texas put up 30 runs against us.

43 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Hang him out to dry.  It wouldn't be the first time Texas put up 30 runs against us.

Buck would never do it, but I'm serious, if they start Tillman on Sunday they should pitch him until he reaches seven full innings. If he gives up 20 runs, who cares?

Honestly though, Tillman is ruining his legacy by holding on when it's clear it's gone. What we're going to end up remember about him is that he ended up being an embarrassment on the mound, and that's ashamed because he was a good pitcher for us at times over his career.

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Buck would never do it, but I'm serious, if they start Tillman on Sunday they should pitch him until he reaches seven full innings. If he gives up 20 runs, who cares?

Honestly though, Tillman is ruining his legacy by holding on when it's clear it's gone. What we're going to end up remember about him is that he ended up being an embarrassment on the mound, and that's ashamed because he was a good pitcher for us at times over his career.

The player’s job is to give his best effort.   If it’s not good enough, it’s the team’s job to cut him.    I don’t feel that Tillman’s legacy is affected at all if the team stupidly allows him to keep pitching.    He was a big contributor to our 2012-16 teams and the fact that he’s sucked in 2017-18 doesn’t change that.    

Yea if a player is terrible is it really his fault that they keep throwing him out there?

I blame the FO (and Buck to a degree) for not ending this ridiculous sideshow with Tillman already.  It literally makes no sense to me other than they personally like Chris and don't want to hurt his feelings.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The player’s job is to give his best effort.   If it’s not good enough, it’s the team’s job to cut him.    I don’t feel that Tillman’s legacy is affected at all if the team stupidly allows him to keep pitching.    He was a big contributor to our 2012-16 teams and the fact that he’s sucked in 2017-18 doesn’t change that.    

Well we'll have to agree to disagree. While I understand that the team has the ultimate responsibility to decide on whether a player is good enough, a guy should also know his own ability at this point. His legacy may not be ruined, but it certainly will be stained by the way his career is ending, especially is he chooses to keep pitching while it's clear he can't even get minor leaguers out consistently.

Saying his velocity is consistent (like Buck has said) is a ridiculous statement. Velocity was not his issue. It was the command of all of his stuff which is what's been missing. The stuff has all taken a step back and the command is gone.

Tillman should do the right thing and walkaway or the team should help him. There is no place on this team for a guy like him. Any opportunities to start should be given to in house young players to see how they do and give them experience. 

Starting Tillman, unless he literally was the only available starting pitcher is not fair to Ramirez, Means, Yacobonis, or honestly to the fans. 

Tillman is not some young guy who is just hoping for chances. He's at the end of his career and he should do the right thing and retire and end this charade. 

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well we'll have to agree to disagree. While I understand that the team has the ultimate responsibility to decide on whether a player is good enough, a guy should also know his own ability at this point. His legacy may not be ruined, but it certainly will be stained by the way his career is ending, especially is he chooses to keep pitching while it's clear he can't even get minor leaguers out consistently.

Saying his velocity is consistent (like Buck has said) is a ridiculous statement. Velocity was not his issue. It was the command of all of his stuff which is what's been missing. The stuff has all taken a step back and the command is gone.

Tillman should do the right thing and walkaway or the team should help him. There is no place on this team for a guy like him. Any opportunities to start should be given to in house young players to see how they do and give them experience. 

Starting Tillman, unless he literally was the only available starting pitcher is not fair to Ramirez, Means, Yacobonis, or honestly to the fans. 

Tillman is not some young guy who is just hoping for chances. He's at the end of his career and he should do the right thing and retire and end this charade. 

It's also on the team though too. I can't blame Tillman for not wanting to give up the remaining 1.4 million or whatever is left on his contract even if he knows he's done, because the team won't cut him.

This Tillman stuff is completely ridiculous.  Dude should have been long gone, long ago.  Hard to believe this is the same organization that outright released 3 time cy young award winner, 3 time world champion, baseball pitching legend, and future first ballot hall of famer Jim Palmer after all of 3 starts in 1984.  Tillman is not even remotely close to providing any of the above and yet we just continue to give him chance after chance.  Cut the chord already, good grief.

1 minute ago, amdcpus said:

It's also on the team though too. I can't blame Tillman for not wanting to give up the remaining 1.4 million or whatever is left on his contract even if he knows he's done, because the team won't cut him.

You very well may have hit on why Tillman won't retire. He probably wants the rest of the money he's not earning. to me, and this is a very personal opinion that I know not everyone shares, I wouldn't want to cash checks I wasn't earning, especially if I already have made over 25 million dollars in my career. 

I would say, you know what, I had a good run and I'd rather hold me head up high and retire then have the team cut me so I can cash on an extra million or so that I'm not earning. Hell, he already made 10 million last year for an awful season. 

Now some will say he was underpaid in other years so why not cash in now, and I kind of understand that, but I guess if it were me and I was financially set, I'd understand it was time. I would be embarrassed to be hit around by 20-year olds in the minors and embarrassed that I could barely defend myself on a big league mound.

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree. I think it hurts Buck's legacy more.  If it is true that he controls the 25 man roster and he pitches Tillman it is only Buck looking bad.  As long as player is getting paid in the millions you can't blame them for holding on.  

Archived