Chicago Sun: Cubs interested in Manny

Tony-OH

2 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

I agree with this!  This is how the Skanks capitalized on Chapman.  You can't tell me they thought they were going to win the year they signined him in FA... They signed him to showcase him and trade him.  Very shrewd.  And they got a Kin's ransom for him.  I don''t see our FO as being that shrewd.

Things aren't the same now. In July of 2016, the Cubs hadn't won a WS in over 100 years, they were 20 games over .500 w/ a 7 game lead in the division and they had top prospects that were blocked by other top prospects.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Not if they think Manny is the missing piece to winning a World Series this year. 

He isn’t.  Every GM  also knows that the Orioles have ZERO leverage...us keeping Manny is saying give me EVERYTHING  I want or I will shoot myself in the foot.  

Just now, tntoriole said:

He isn’t.  Every GM  also knows that the Orioles have ZERO leverage...us keeping Manny is saying give me EVERYTHING  I want or I will shoot myself in the foot.  

Then they won’t get him then. I’m not giving away my best player for garbage. They’re the desperate buyer and I’m the seller. We do have some leverage.

1 minute ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Then they won’t get him then. I’m not giving away my best player for garbage. They’re the desperate buyer and I’m the seller. We do have some leverage.

Of course you are right.

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Things aren't the same now. In July of 2016, the Cubs hadn't won a WS in over 100 years, they were 20 games over .500 w/ a 7 game lead in the division and they had top prospects that were blocked by other top prospects.

I completely understand, but they would have fleeced anyone that needed a closer down the run that year.  I'm just saying, we don't seem, nor have we ever seemed, to capitalize on trades.  It takes timing and know-how.  I don't think this organization has either.

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

We are a bad defensive team that can't hit. We should be working to solve the solvable part of that problem first.

Not for Manny Machado. If we were trading just about any other everyday player outside of Schoop,  l’d probably agree.

4 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Take the best offer you get as long as it is worth more than the pick.

5 minutes ago, rudyrooster said:

Just need to get another team engaged in a bidding war with the Cubs.  That's how we gain leverage.

I was just about to say that. If the Mets and maybe the Phillies are still playing great and our making a push later in the year, either one of those teams would be calling about Manny.

Archived