Chicago Sun: Cubs interested in Manny

Tony-OH

10 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

The Cubs could offer deal around Russel and Mets deal around rosario and Phillies around Crawford.

Which guy would you want as the center piece in a deal for Manny.  All three were highly regarded but have had issues with reaching potential at major leagues.  Russel little better success but less control.  

I will take Addison if that is my choices..

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

The Cubs could offer deal around Russel and Mets deal around rosario and Phillies around Crawford.

Which guy would you want as the center piece in a deal for Manny.  All three were highly regarded but have had issues with reaching potential at major leagues.  Russel little better success but less control.  

Phillies around Crawford I think. I think they have a little more depth to add a second quality prospect. Probably a pipe dream 

I'm not sure about what we SHOULD ask for, but Victor Caratini reads just like a player we would target. So perhaps a package with him along with one of DeLaCruz or Alzolay (a guy who is close to ready to pitch in the Majors), and then one of Ademan/Lange/Albertos (ie: a high risk/high reward young guy with nice potential).

1 hour ago, HokieOs said:

I'm not sure about what we SHOULD ask for, but Victor Caratini reads just like a player we would target. So perhaps a package with him along with one of DeLaCruz or Alzolay (a guy who is close to ready to pitch in the Majors), and then one of Ademan/Lange/Albertos (ie: a high risk/high reward young guy with nice potential).

I'm not really sure Caratini is an option during the season as he's already the team's backup catcher with no mlb viable replacements. Not to mention the staff would have to get used to the new guy on the fly and that's not something you want to deal with in a year you're competing for a title.

14 hours ago, tntoriole said:

He isn’t.  Every GM  also knows that the Orioles have ZERO leverage...us keeping Manny is saying give me EVERYTHING  I want or I will shoot myself in the foot.  

The Orioles have the leverage of other teams wanting Manny as well. That's going to be how the Orioles get the best return. Have to pit one team against another.

Tony

Addison Russell is a decent shortstop but he is only controllable through the 2021 season. That's honestly when we are looking at the beginning of our next window and he's only going to get more expensive until then. Why would he do us any good?

We already have a decent shortstop who is controllable through the 2020 season in Tim Beckham. Hopefully Manny is gone by the time Beckham comes back so the Orioles can put him back at short. Even if we didn't have Beckham I still wouldn't want Russell.

9 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

Addison Russell is a decent shortstop but he is only controllable through the 2021 season. That's honestly when we are looking at the beginning of our next window and he's only going to get more expensive until then. Why would he do us any good?

We already have a decent shortstop who is controllable through the 2020 season in Tim Beckham. Hopefully Manny is gone by the time Beckham comes back so the Orioles can put him back at short. Even if we didn't have Beckham I still wouldn't want Russell.

Yeah I'm with you here.  I'd get a number of prospects that aren't quite major league ready.  We aren't competing next year at all.

If a deal centered around Addison Russell is the best we can do, then that's a shame.  Russell just isn't that good.  He's only two years younger than Manny, he's already in his arbitration years, had a very good year on 2016 but has been meh since.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/russead02.shtml

His career OBP is .311, and his WAR last year was 2.4 and this year is 0.6.  Another guy with a low batting average and OBP would fit right in with this terrible collection of low BA and OBP guys.  Russell needs to be the complementary piece to a deal, not the centerpiece.  Otherwise it's a waste, IMO, especially with the market and other teams that should be interesting, as Tony alluded to.

8 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

Tim Beckham should be a utility infielder. Russell is a better fielder.

In 2021, hopefully Adam Hall is close.

15 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Depending on who you ask, they have 1 or none.

Their farm system isn't great.

It'd have to be a quantity over quality deal if one of their young MLB assets isn't included.

To reinforce the point about the Cubs farm system being bare.  Rotowire has an up to date top 400 prospect list.  Alzolay is the top Cub prospect.  The Padres have 18 prospects rated higher than Alzolay.   

The Braves - now in 1st place in NL East - make perfect sense for Manny.  They have a tonnage of pitching prospects.  Bryce Wilson is a 20 year old righty who's dominated through high A ball.  Secondary young players the Braves would likely agree to include would be Lucas Sims - who's been a highly ranked prospect but hasn't made it with consistency at age 24 and 6'6 23 year old Patrick Weigel - who was making real good progress last season before having TJ surgery.  Touki Toussant (sp?) is another pitching prospect they'd likely consider trading - he's highly rated but inconsistent.  

6 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

The Braves - now in 1st place in NL East - make perfect sense for Manny.  They have a tonnage of pitching prospects.  Bryce Wilson is a 20 year old righty who's dominated through high A ball.  Secondary young players the Braves would likely agree to include would be Lucas Sims - who's been a highly ranked prospect but hasn't made it with consistency at age 24 and 6'6 23 year old Patrick Weigel - who was making real good progress last season before having TJ surgery.  Touki Toussant (sp?) is another pitching prospect they'd likely consider trading - he's highly rated but inconsistent.  

With the Braves, I would target Austin Riley as the centerpiece, as he could go right to 3B to play.

As for other pieces, perhaps one of the multiple pitchers they have - Soroka, Allard, Anderson, Fried, Gohara, Wentz, and Toussaint to name a few.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=atl

If I'm the Orioles, my ask is Alzolay and then some lower level prospects. As a 3rd or 4th piece, I like Mark Zagunis as a target. He doesn't have any outstanding skills and his defense is more of the same issues we have now in the OF, but his on-base skills may make him a serviceable piece at the big league level.

3 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Tim Beckham should be a utility infielder. Russell is a better fielder.

In 2021, hopefully Adam Hall is close.

I agree Beckham should be a utility infielder. It's not that he can't be a capable starter but good teams take advantage of positional flexibility. The Cubs have Zobrist, the Astros have Marwin Gonzalez, the Redsox have Eduardo Nunez. But the Orioles aren't good this year and won't be next year. So any trade that involves Russell means we are paying the price to have a decent shortstop on a bad team. We need players who are going to be on the next good Orioles team.

2 hours ago, orioles119 said:

With the Braves, I would target Austin Riley as the centerpiece, as he could go right to 3B to play.

As for other pieces, perhaps one of the multiple pitchers they have - Soroka, Allard, Anderson, Fried, Gohara, Wentz, and Toussaint to name a few.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=atl

The O's could try, but i'd guess there's almost no chance the Braves would give up Riley OR Sorkoka OR Allard OR Fried OR Goahara OR Wentz.  Toussaint is the only one of those mentioned that the O's would have a reasonable chance at, imo, and I'd much rather get Bryce Wilson.  Toussaint has a great arm, but he's very inconsistent.  The Braves set of pitching prospects might be the best baseball has seen since they had Steve Avery, John Smoltz, and Tommy Glavine.  And Austin Riley (21 years old) figures to be an outstanding power hitting 3rd basemen in the bigs as soon as next season.  Ya just don't give up a prospect like that for a rental.  If the O's had traded Machado before last season started, then... they could have gotten a great haul for him.  Not now.        

Archived