Jim Palmer just threw Chris Davis under the bus

accinfo

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Hallas said:

I took a look at some video between 2013 and 2017.

In 2013, he starts his swing immediately after he plants his leg from his leg kick.  In 2017, he has a little bit of a hitch after planting his leg before he starts his swing.  It's pretty subtle, but given that milliseconds matter when hitting a baseball, it seems like it could be a pretty good reason why he cannot get around on a fastball anymore.  I have a suspicion he introduced that hitch so the ball travels more when the barrel is in the hitting zone, so he doesn't pull so many balls into the shift, and so he doesn't end up early on breaking and offspeed pitches.  Assuming he still has the ability to do so, he needs to get back to his 2013 timing and forget about hitting offspeed and/or hitting against the shift.

You can see the same hitch in 2018 as well:

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/video/davis-first-homer-of-2018/c-1910247483?tid=16285926

I haven't broken out the stopwatch, but his time from first bat head movement to bat in the hitting zone seems to be pretty much the same as before.

This is great stuff.  Amazing how awesome he was in the 2013 season.  He was still over .300  batting average as late as home run number 42...I hope Chris can go back to that old swing. 

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't know about suck but I have known plenty of folks that show no pride in their work.  They would rather shrug and walk away than do anything over the bare minimum.

CD didnt get where he is with a shrug and bare minimum effort.

3 minutes ago, MagicBird said:

We also know Chris was willing to ignore the rules of baseball regarding medication on at LEAST two occasions. That's extra effort. 

And if any of you think I'm just starting this, I think Chris Davis cost a World Series.  And I said it at the time. 

1 minute ago, MagicBird said:

Sure, but that was when he was climbing the hill and driving towards free agency.    Now that he’s made his guaranteed pile of dough, and has three kids, he may just not work as hard as he used to, and being a bit older, he may need to work harder than he used to, not less hard.    So I’m not saying he’s lazy and just coasting, but he just may not be putting in quite the level of work he needs to.

Just now, weams said:

We also know Chris was willing to ignore the rules of baseball regarding medication on at LEAST two occasions. That's extra effort. 

And if any of you think I'm just starting this, I think Chris Davis cost a World Series.  And I said it at the time. 

U will get no argument from me on that

22 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Nah, no one likes to suck at their job no matter how much they're being paid.  No one likes to be an embarrassment.  

I doubt he sees himself as an embarassment.  He likely believes he is in a prolonged slump. We think he is an embarassment but I doubt he thinks he is.  That implies that he believes about himself the same as what fans think about him.

Either way, millions do help Chris.  I don’t see him feeling bad enough to turn any back in as being undeserved due to his being an “embarassment” lol.  You can say money doesn’t matter, but it does.  I think that is part of Palmer’s anger with him too is just how much these modern day guys get paid and how Jim missed the era of the unbelievable contracts.   There wouldn’t be enough money to pay Palmer today...lol.     

Just now, Frobby said:

So I’m not saying he’s lazy and just coasting, but he just may not be putting in quite the level of work he needs to.

Thats certainly a real possibility and pretty much what Palmer was saying.  Didnt Buck at least hint at that recently?

The team charter is probably somewhere over the southern US or the Gulf of Mexico as we speak.

I wonder what the seating arrangements are?   Where is Palmer sitting?   Coolbaugh?   Davis?   Buck?

I wonder where other players fall on this?   Do they stick with one of their own (Davis) and feel like Palmer and Coolbaugh threw him under the bus?   Or do they secretly agree that Davis hasn't worked hard enough?

Archived