Rays will start relievers in all three O’s games this weekend

Frobby

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

I never understood why it is acceptable to this in high school or college or the minors but not in the Majors.  It makes some sense to at least try it.

Because with so much money on the line, buttholes clench up and people are afraid to try new things.  It's the same reason NFL coaches rarely go for it on 4th down.  Job security.  

IIRC, the Orioles did this once in 1989.  Bullpen committee night.  Didn't use a starter, just let the bullpen throw the whole game.  

EDIT:  Yes, August 9th, 1989.  Mark Thurmond started.  Didn't go too well, they lost to the Twins 7-0.  https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL198908090.shtml

32 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

"Tough part of our lineup"?  haha Frobby you can be pretty funny when you want to be.

Beat me to it, lol...

In all seriousness, the "strategy" doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, the the lineup would turn over quickly anyway.

Just now, esmd said:

Beat me to it, lol...

In all seriousness, the "strategy" doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, the the lineup would turn over quickly anyway.

It makes a bit of sense, per CoC's post, more runs are scored in the first inning than any other.  It makes sense to have someone go through the first three or four batters, then you've got another pitcher in there for the top of the lineup the next time through.

Batters thrive off getting 2nd and 3rd looks at a starter.  If you can get through the top half of the lineup twice with different pitchers you're changing up the looks that a batter gets.  

They did it twice last weekend, Romo started back to back games vs the Angels.

Romo gets out righties, and both Baltimore and LAA have righty-heavy top of the order.

And with the "real starter" coming on in the 2nd, when he gets to the 3rd time thru the order, it's against the weaker guys at the bottom of the order.

4 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

It's matchups as well as the tough part of the lineup.  Romo is a bit of a righty killer and it isn't by accident the prior weekend was the Angels Cozart-Trout-Upton-Pujols and we are settling into Mancini-Jones-Machado-Schoop up top.

We were posting similar things at the same time.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Because with so much money on the line, buttholes clench up and people are afraid to try new things.  It's the same reason NFL coaches rarely go for it on 4th down.  Job security.  

IIRC, the Orioles did this once in 1989.  Bullpen committee night.  Didn't use a starter, just let the bullpen throw the whole game.  

EDIT:  Yes, August 9th, 1989.  Mark Thurmond started.  Didn't go too well, they lost to the Twins 7-0.  https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL198908090.shtml

I'm pretty sure that Johnny Oates used "starter-by-committee" a few times as well.  Long before the "Norfolk Shuttle" existed.

Archived