Does anybody REALLY care any more?

spiritof66

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

God help me, I still care.    I’m watching far less than I normally do, to minimize the pain.    But when I’m watching, yes I care.   Every loss still stings.   

And I just never saw anything this cataclysmic coming, and am having a hard time believing it.   But when you look at the lineup we’re trotting out there, I guess it really shouldn’t be so shocking.    

'88 was like that, even though we sucked in 1987.   No one thought they would be THAT bad.   But then when you got into the season and saw the guys we were trotting out there -- Wade Rowden in the Opening Day lineup, etc -- you could see why it was that bad.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The interesting thing about the Braves rebuild is that they weren't exactly bad when they started it, they could just see that the current setup wasn't going to lead to long term success.  The Phillies and Astros were forced into rebuilds.

Yep.  I am going to the Braves-Orioles game on June 22.  I am looking forward to watching the Braves play. 

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I actually find it more interesting when they are this unfathomably bad rather than just the run of the mill bad.  How many games will they lose?  How poor a season can Davis have?  How many guys will end up below replacement level?

Yeah but you don't care whether they win or lose the game.

A well played game is worth every minute spent watching so yeah, the more of those that come along the better.  I certainly care in that regard.  I'm aware that the O's are going to have a pretty grim record this year, but when I'm no longer able to enjoy a game on its own merits that's when I'll give up being a fan altogether.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

On a game by game basis I would rather they win.

An interesting question is do the players care on a game by game basis whether they win or not.  

When I am watching the game I want them to win after I stop watching I don't care.  Well last night I watched through the 11th inning but when Buck didn't put Britton in the 12th I turned of the game and hoped they would lose.  I guess that is childish but whatever. 

Just now, atomic said:

An interesting question is do the players care on a game by game basis whether they win or not.  

When I am watching the game I want them to win after I stop watching I don't care.  Well last night I watched through the 11th inning but when Buck didn't put Britton in the 12th I turned of the game and hoped they would lose.  I guess that is childish but whatever. 

Thankfully, to a large extent, the same behaviors that lead to ballplayers making more money lead to them winning games.

(Yes that includes hitting sac flies that result in an RBI)

I changed my approach a few weeks ago.   I root for them to lose most nights.  Winning at this point does no good for the organization.  They need the highest draft position they can get.  

I root for good individual performances.  Bundy going 8 scoreless was great.  I was not disappointed that they lost.   I do still enjoy an O's win when it happens but the loses are good for the team also.

I watch as much as I can.  Sometimes fall asleep on boring games.   I don't put quite the priority on watching every game like I have in the past. 

Where are the farm prospects being brought up to see what they can do?  Where is the effort to change the front office philosophy.  I am sick and tired of checking the news and the O's act like it is just another day with no effort to change direction.  What is the point of PA to stop any progress his team may do to improve.  I understand he has tried and spent money on players that were previously good that turned into busts and it is probably bad luck, but why not try something else instead of just sitting back doing nothing.  They could make something beneficial out of a lost season like treat the rest of the year like spring training.  What really pisses me off is Showalter's self righteousness that he says he will put his best team out there to not affect the pennant races.  HE NEEDS TO DO WHAT IS BEST FOR THE ORIOLES NOT HIS CRAPPY SELF RIGHTEOUSNESS. They need to FIRE him now, I mean today.  They need a manager who is going to check every prospect and see what they can do to know what they got for the future plans.  I am so sick of this stupid organization  Someone needs to tell PA that the O's are not making the playoffs this year.  I AM VENTING LOUD AND CLEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived