Does anybody REALLY care any more?

spiritof66

I watch almost every game, I care about individual accomplishments more than the team.  I just want the trade chips to do well so we get more in return, but I want them to keep losing so we get the best pick possible and to motivate a rebuild.  It is a strange place to sit and watch games hoping they do well but lose.  

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will care more when they start the rebuild. I haven't watched a full game in who knows when. and I have been to more Dodgers games this year then O's games, and I live in MD. I should watch at least a little because summer isnt summer without coming home and its 90 plus outside in the evening and watching a game. 

I'm from Chicago, rooted for the White Sox growing up, though my 2 brothers wanted me to be Cubs fans. Luis Aparicio was my favorite player. I moved to Maryland and promptly became an Orioles fan. I love baseball so I went to a lot of Orioles games. But I was still loyal to my White Sox, so when the White Sox visited,  didn't know what to do so I stayed home. 

Th first red flag about Peter Angelos was when I went to the game where Cal Ripken tied Lou Gehrig's record. PA want up to the microphone and rambled on and on and on and on. The fans started booing and PA finally shut up. But after that year, when Davey Johnson and Jon Miller got fired and the Orioles got worse and worse, I got angry at PA. I went into "Orioles Fan Exile" and refused to go to games or buy any Oriole merchandise. I reverted to my White Sox. I was able to occasionally watch White Sox games on WGN on TV  and listen to Hawk Harrelson shout out, "You can put that one on the board,  yeeeeeessss!!" This went on for 14 years. I discovered the Ravens and became a rabid Ravens fan ,  buying a PSL and season tickets which I still have.

But then I  saw that the Orioles players were actually winning games in spite of their management. I checked up on MASN and WJZ and began watching them. The Os were a thrilling team. Finally, in 2013, I came out of exile and went to a game. It was wonderful, and the Orioles won that game. I went to several games. The next year, I got a 29 game plan, and then playoff games. Yipee!! Even though they lost to the Royals in the ALCS.

Now the Orioles are awful again. I still watch them on MASN but not so often. I'm following the White Sox, though the national WGN station doesn't do baseball anymore. The White Sox are in a rebuilding mode,  though they have kept their star,  Jose Abreu. But they also lose games. Unlike Orioles management, White Sox management has a definite plan, and the Sox will be good and winning in a couple of years.

I haven't yet returned to Orioles exile, I do want to go to a game or 2.  I  tend to follow former Orioles players: Miguel Gonzalez (on the DL), Nick Markakis (doing quite well for the Braves), Bud Norris (closer for the Cardinals), Nelson Cruz (has done very well for the Mariners). As for the Orioles,  they were  losing 5-2 when I last checked. So what else is new?

7 minutes ago, Nevermore said:

.  .  .

I haven't yet returned to Orioles exile, I do want to go to a game or 2.  I  tend to follow former Orioles players: Miguel Gonzalez (on the DL), Nick Markakis (doing quite well for the Braves), Bud Norris (closer for the Cardinals), Nelson Cruz (has done very well for the Mariners). As for the Orioles,  they were  losing 5-2 when I last checked. So what else is new?

Not a damn thing. 

I still find myself watching games when I'm not out fly fishing and am home in front of the TV. Sometimes I even ask myself, why am I still watching this game? I love baseball and Os though so it's just habit to keep watching especially with no other sports on TV currently. I usually post in the game threads but I think I've done that like 5 times this year, just a really disappointing season with not much to discuss. 

I am looking forward to seeing what happens with Manny and some of the other trade pieces. If we actually play our cards right, it could be a quick turn around and back in the playoff race in the near future. Oh yeah and our prospects need to stay healthy!

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

I don’t think I’ve cared all season. I’m mostly rooting for the world to burn now

I mostly rooting for a miracle that the Orioles are owned by Kevin Plank or Steve Bisciotti or anyone not named Angelos. Short of that, the Orioles are probably doomed to an eternity of misery and frustration and head shaking organizational moves...:$

15 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

I still find myself watching games when I'm not out fly fishing and am home in front of the TV. Sometimes I even ask myself, why am I still watching this game? I love baseball and Os though so it's just habit to keep watching especially with no other sports on TV currently. I usually post in the game threads but I think I've done that like 5 times this year, just a really disappointing season with not much to discuss.

I am looking forward to seeing what happens with Manny and some of the other trade pieces. If we actually play our cards right, it could be a quick turn around and back in the playoff race in the near future. Oh yeah and our prospects need to stay healthy!

I don't expect much of anything as far as trades. Remember, it's Orioles management that makes these trade decisions. And Orioles management has proven over and over again how clueless they all are.

As I said about 5 years ago: when the Orioles win, it's in spite of management. I still believe that.

9 minutes ago, Nevermore said:

As I said about 5 years ago: when the Orioles win, it's in spite of management. I still believe that.

100% right on the money. This organization is pitiful. Sad but true.

I told my co-workers this morning that I full expect no trades of substance. If that does happen, I'm done with the Orioles until Angelos sells the team. This organization has no vision or interest in communicating any vision to their few thousand remaining fans. Where is the urgency? Where is the accountability? Where are the assurances to a starving fanbase? If they don't care then why should I?

Spent the money to catch the season on Dish, to the tune of $150+. I've been blindsided since the 3rd week of April as to how poor this team is. My first game was a young 'un around '71 or so, and I'll never forget that feeling walking into Memorial stadium. 3 years ago, I spent a nice chunk of change to take my kid on a 596 mile round trip on a lark to show him his first ML game. It was magic.

What's happening now is beyond depressing, and infuriating. I didn't even turn the game on tonight; knew it was a loss. Championships are great, pennants and wildcards are nice. But these cats aren't even competing.

Archived