Crazy Trade proposal

Hallas

Manny Machado, Chris Davis, and Ryan Mountcastle for org filler.  Buyer takes on all but $25 million of Davis' contract.

Pull the trigger, or no?  FWIW Davis' contract would be worth about $105 million.

Since the trade doesn't require any actual prospects coming back to us, literally any contender could make this trade.  So the team isn't important.

EDIT: This wasn't a reasonable trade proposal as is, so I'm modifying it to include $25 million to the buying team.

47 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Manny Machado, Chris Davis, and Ryan Mountcastle for org filler.  Buyer takes on all of Davis' contract.

Pull the trigger, or no?  FWIW Davis' contract would be worth about $105 million.

Since the trade doesn't require any actual prospects coming back to us, literally any contender could make this trade.  So the team isn't important.

We have so much money coming off the books and such little of a shot at competing over the next few years that losing 25 mil a year off the payroll isn't going to make much of a difference for us.  We aren't going to be making big splashes in free agency where we need to free up space in the budget.  We need to be acquiring young talent. Not trading it away for salary relief. 

Our payroll could be under 100 mil next season with Davis.  Bottom 1/4 of baseball. 

This would waste trading Machado. We need the prospects, not the savings. Just park Davis on the bench and stop talking about him. On a rebuilding team, wasting one spot for him won't matter. Just don't play him. When his roster spot becomes valuable (because we're a better team), release him.

If the O's traded Davis's contract with Machado, that would free up money for this coming season.  Even if the O's use that money to sign an ace pitcher (would have to add more money to $23 mill/yr) and sign Manny or another star hitter, it wouldn't make the O's a playoff team.  They might not even get to .500.  The O's are playing sub .300 ball with Manny playing like an MVP.  2019 is already a lost year, in my book.  The best I'm hoping for in 2019 is an influx of young talent and a new spirit in the clubhouse.  I would hope for a better record, because its hard to play sub .300 baseball with so many teams tanking.  

I don't know why fans are so worried about getting rid of Davis' salary.   The O's are going off load about 60m from the payroll just with the free agents.    The O's are not going to have a high payroll with or without Davis.  Work with him to make adjustments in the hitting approach, hiring a new hitting coach to make the message new, and if nothing works there is a place on the bench for him.   It should not affect the rebuild anyway.

Its much more important to get as many good young players for Manny as possible.  And there is not reason to trade Mountcastle.  He is the O's cheap DH once Trumbo is gone if 3B does not work out.

I just read mdbdotcom's post.  I agree.

1 hour ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I would just release him after 7/31. He's not the future and we need to find those who are. He's just taking up space. Mancini needs to be the every day first baseman. Baby steps with a rebuild. You systematically plug in pieces with a long term view and not hang onto useless parts. Just my two cents.

I'm not sure Mancini needs to be anything.

7 hours ago, Hallas said:

Manny Machado, Chris Davis, and Ryan Mountcastle for org filler.  Buyer takes on all of Davis' contract.

So, its interesting and I like the thought process.  But no team is going to pay 105 M for the rental of Machado.  If you included Davis AND Schoop, perhaps...

But then, the orioles are giving too much away for the money.

They are going to have to eat davis' contract and will likely play him until they have somewhat turned the ship around.  Since we have no GM or manager for next year, that time is still in the future.  

105 million for a few months of Manny? I just want you to think about that for a little bit and you might realize how ridiculous it is.

I think a bad contract swap could be possible. I'm thinking something like Machado, Davis, and Givens for Jordan Zimmermann. That's the only way it works.

9 hours ago, ChuckS said:

We have so much money coming off the books and such little of a shot at competing over the next few years that losing 25 mil a year off the payroll isn't going to make much of a difference for us.  We aren't going to be making big splashes in free agency where we need to free up space in the budget.  We need to be acquiring young talent. Not trading it away for salary relief. 

Our payroll could be under 100 mil next season with Davis.  Bottom 1/4 of baseball. 

So there will be lots of money that can be used to sign international free agents, some of whom should be ready to help the Orioles in 3-5 years. xD 

Crazy trade proposal is right. The Orioles had a hard time getting free agents when they were good for five years. Who in the world do you think they're getting now as the worst team in baseball with the savings from unloading Davis even if some team was crazy enough to do this?

Archived