Nightingale: Dodgers in lead for Manny

Rene88

29 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Did you read the article? Because i didn't see a single quote from ANYONE within the Brewers organization saying they were interested in Machaado. The author simply looked at their current SS situation and made the leap himself. And honestly when was USA Today ever known for its ground breaking / hard hitting reporting? 

"The only other team scouts and executives believe will strongly be in play are the Milwaukee Brewers."

The reporting never states they are interested, but it cites executives who believe they will be.  It never claims more than that.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, weams said:

I think the Manny rental will be one of the biggest position player hauls that have ever occured in this rental only era.  The team that signs him has no more likelihood to retain him than any of the other 29 teams including the Orioles if they pay the most money. Respect. Money Respect. Money.

And I like some of our prospects. 

He has 1.6 WAR through nearly half a season. I don't think he will be bringing back much at all.

2 hours ago, bird watcher said:

What happens If a player is selected for the allstar game and is traded before the game?  AL-AL team I’d guess just a uniform change. What about AL-NL?  Multiple players at the same position?  Lacking that position starter on the AL team?

Doesn't each team have a representative? If Machado is traded do we get another?

1 minute ago, jamalshw said:

Will Smith may be an interesting second piece in any deal for Machado from the Dodgers. If you don't believe in Sisco as an everyday catcher (or think his bat is better served moving elsewhere), Smith may be a good option. A good catcher with a solid eye at the plate. 

Could we pull off a Yusneil Diaz, Will Smith and Gavin Lux in a deal for Machado if we take back Forsythe (or someone else to allow LA to stay under the luxury tax threshold)?

Dodgers have an insane amount of talented C depth in the minors.  Ruiz gets a lot of the headlines, but Smith is a fast riser and on dodger prospect blogs I've read that he may have a more balanced game in the end.  Beyond Ruiz and Smith is Wong as well.  So the Dodgers could definitely use one o their C in the right trade.

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I don't think it would be outrageous to demand Walker Buehler be part of the deal. The Dodgers might be more inclined to trade him now, with the emergence of Stripling. They also just got Maeda and Hill back and will eventually get Ryu back. Too many pitchers, not enough rotation spots. 

I respectfully disagree and think it would be outrageous.  As another poster stated, Kershaw is getting older and sadly looks like he may be starting to fall apart.  Buehler is 23 years old and has been rather dominant so far as a rookie. 

10 minutes ago, Hotdiggity said:

Can Machado reliably pitch the 8th inning of a playoff-critical game (Britton can't, reliably being the key word)?  Because if not, the Dodgers have more pressing needs.  As a (mostly) Dodger fan, that package makes me cringe a little bit, which means it's probably fair. Machado and Britton wouldn't happen though without the O's taking back Forsythe's salary.  Dodgers aren't going over the LTT. If I'm the O's I might look at Edwin Rios as another name.  Good hitter.  AAA, but more of an AL player.  Watching the Dodgers almost daily, I'd rather they go after a good 2B to replace Forsythe and a reliever before going for Machado.  If that means a package of Verdugo/White/Lux for Iglesias/Gannett from the Reds, then I choose that.

Thnaks for your input and I agree, O's would probably have to take a contract like Forsythe to make it work.  As a Dodger fan, what in your mind would be a fair trade for Manny?  Manny and Britton?

3 hours ago, atomic said:

Did you read the article:

"and are in desperate need of help at shortstop. Orlando Arcia, who was benched Tuesday night for Brad Miller, is hitting .198 with a .230 on-base percentage and .255 slugging percentage."

Those numbers aren’t that bad. Can he play 1B, 3B, C, or Corner Outfield?  Haha

4 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Thnaks for your input and I agree, O's would probably have to take a contract like Forsythe to make it work.  As a Dodger fan, what in your mind would be a fair trade for Manny?  Manny and Britton?

I answered that question in great detail on May 5th with all my reasoning.  It hasn't changed much other than having a RELIABLE 8th inning option for the bullpen is a much more glaring need than ss, even one as good as MM.  Nobody of a reasonable mind is going to sell 2018 Britton as anything reasonably similar to 14-16 Britton.

23 minutes ago, weams said:

I think the Manny rental will be one of the biggest position player hauls that have ever occured in this rental only era.  The team that signs him has no more likelihood to retain him than any of the other 29 teams including the Orioles if they pay the most money. Respect. Money Respect. Money.

And I like some of our prospects. 

Well, we'll see.

I still think there's a high probability that they totally botch this and he walks as a FA.  I think Manny wants to hit FA and won't negotiate with a team who trades for him.  I think teams are well aware of this and will be hesitant to give up a big haul for that situation.  

I don't like any of our prospects, don't have an issue of saying it either.  I think we're back to that mid to late 90s era of thinking that a guy like Rick Krivda is an answer.  That's what I see when I look at our minors, a bunch of Krivdas, Curtis Goodwins and Alex Ochoas.

I think Santana and/or Lux are good targets.  I agree I would take on Forsythe and someone else's salary to even the money if the Dodgers give a couple of good prospects.   I don't want a left fielder.   I would much rather have a skill position player or a starter.

3 hours ago, Rene88 said:

My goodness...just trade him already. Or wait until he gets hurt and you have nothing.....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2018/06/27/manny-machado-dodgers-trade-deadline/737949002/

I agree. This is getting stupid. The silly owner is going to do zilch. I am getting tired of this ?. Wondering how long I can stay a fan of this freak show? 

3 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Yeah, we heard about the Dodgers back in late April, the last time they were relevant this season and Seager was done.  No one knows who has or hasn't been negotiating let alone giving odds, like Heyman did the other day.  Such nonsense.  

What leads anyone to believe the Orioles would trade ManNY before the All Star game?  

Shouldn't you be spending your time watching the Nats punt away a totally winnable division?

Shouldn't he have a right to say what he wants? I feel the same way.

Archived