Grayson Rodriguez 2018

Frobby

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Frobby said:

You left out the 3 K’s.   So on the year that’s 12 IP, 7 H, 0 R, 5 BB, 10 K’s.    Not a bad line.   They’re still holding him to 3 innings so far.   I wonder if they’ll stretch him out at all and/or give him a taste of Aberdeen later this summer.    

Interestingly, most of the 10 HS pitchers selected in the first round haven’t debuted yet, or have seen very limited action.   Only two HS first rounders have thrown 8+ innings - Rodriguez and Liberatore.

Liberatore is the 66th rated prospect on mlb.com.  What's the chance that Rodriguez cracks some top 100 lists if he continues to dominate. 

5 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Liberatore is the 66th rated prospect on mlb.com.  What's the chance that Rodriguez cracks some top 100 lists if he continues to dominate. 

low...scouts would want to see him in full season ball. Don't worry too much about top 100 status, focus on his tools. We can all continue dreaming on this kid's ceiling. Him and Hall bring TOR upside(let's hope for the 2021 rotation being headed by two young aces?).

4 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Whenever I read about these guys I am always reminded of Bundy. 

30IP 5H 2BB 0R 40K.  

Wow was that fun.  

it's easy to forget how great Bundy really was...boy was he somethin'

Baseball tends to be a crapshoot, maybe one of these guys turns into what we hoped Bundy would become.

6 hours ago, baltfan said:

Whenever I read about these guys I am always reminded of Bundy. 

30IP 5H 2BB 0R 40K.  

Wow was that fun.  

At Delmarva, without having played short season ball.    As I recall, he didn’t allow a baserunner until his 27th batter.   

8 minutes ago, Flacco Machado said:

Some info in the article, they are likely going to limit him to 3-4 more outings. He pitched 75ish innings in HS, they are aiming to get him to 100 total. Also some insight on how they determine inning limits, apparently they go back and look at the last 3 years of high school and summer ball innings. The goal is to get him healthy to instructs and have him make a full season team next spring (like DL Hall did this year).

53 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Some info in the article, they are likely going to limit him to 3-4 more outings. He pitched 75ish innings in HS, they are aiming to get him to 100 total. Also some insight on how they determine inning limits, apparently they go back and look at the last 3 years of high school and summer ball innings. The goal is to get him healthy to instructs and have him make a full season team next spring (like DL Hall did this year).

Interesting how they are encouraging young pitchers to pitch to contact - rather than go for strikeouts.  Should we eventually evaluate young pitchers on their ground ball rates moreso than SO rates?  Some stats might get skewed with minor league infielders and infields being worse than they are in the Bigs.  

6 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Interesting how they are encouraging young pitchers to pitch to contact - rather than go for strikeouts.  Should we eventually evaluate young pitchers on their ground ball rates moreso than SO rates?  Some stats might get skewed with minor league infielders and infields being worse than they are in the Bigs.  

Was that in the article? I don't think young players are ever coached to "go for" strikeouts. They want players to establish their fastballs, throw strikes, pound the zone, and trust their stuff.

21 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

So of us already think the organization already overly emphasizes ground balls.

44 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Was that in the article? I don't think young players are ever coached to "go for" strikeouts. They want players to establish their fastballs, throw strikes, pound the zone, and trust their stuff.

I've rarely disagreed with you, but based on many interviews I've heard over the last few decades, I'll have to disagree with you there.  

3 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I've rarely disagreed with you, but based on many interviews I've heard over the last few decades, I'll have to disagree with you there.  

I very well could be wrong, I would out of curiosity like to see some examples of this in pro ball with guys in the low minors. 

4 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I very well could be wrong, I would out of curiosity like to see some examples of this in pro ball with guys in the low minors. 

Here's a link to an SI article that goes into the fact that GM's are looking for pitchers to get strikeouts.  https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/06/14/strikeouts-effect-major-league-baseball.  Here's an interesting point from the article:

The average starter today faces just 23 batters (almost 2 ½ times around the lineup) and throws 90 pitches. Starters have become sprinters instead of marathoners.

The result? Starters hunger for strikeouts, too. In fact, the strikeout rate difference between relievers and starters is narrowing. Over the last 20 years, despite the growth of the specialized bullpen, strikeout rates have increased more for starters (up 31%, including seven straight record years) than for relievers (26%).

Archived