Orioles to be more active in International Free Agent Market

NCRaven

For everyone asking who and what and can about Victor Victor Mesa. 

He is a Cuban defector that is not yet eligible to be signed. MLB hasn’t cleared him yet. He is the top international prospect for this signing year (goes until July 1 of 2019). He will be 22 years old next week. Think of him as a college senior that would go top 5 in the draft and start at AA. He has 70 speed and 70 arm and comps to Robles with the nats. Plus plus defense in the outfield and hits for power and average.  

Can the Os sign him ?

They have the best chance to sign him. They have all of their international $ and if they are making a commitment to international then they have a perfect storm to spend it this winter. Projected bonus $3.5 mm. That would leave $2 mm to throw at 30 other 16-17 year olds that didn’t get signed and hope one of them hits. Victor Victor would come in as our 3rd best prospect off the bat but has the highest ceiling. (My opinion but you won’t hear too big of an argument from there)

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think DD is staying and really, as many mistakes as I believe he has made, I also believe he would be among the best folks to lead this international movement.  It would be great to not just dip our toes in the international market like with did with Reyes and others, but to go in with both feet and get our share of the top 50 guys.  The signing period is over, but I expect a good number of teams have used their allotted $, and we would have the run of a lot of guys left over.  Very exciting news if the Os do follow through here - Victor Mesa or not.

32 minutes ago, MrOrange82 said:

This seems like a good opportunity for a follow-up to Tony's article from a few weeks (months?) back about politics inside the warehouse. 

Was a power struggle actually playing out this season? Had Brady been given the reins to shape this year's team? Did its spectacular failure put DD back in firm/unchallenged control of the organizational direction going forward? Can DD really be expected to wield enough influence/resources to modernize the scouting/development systems and spend internationally?

I hear Ashton Smith reading your last paragraph.

37 minutes ago, sevastras said:

For everyone asking who and what and can about Victor Victor Mesa. 

He is a Cuban defector that is not yet eligible to be signed. MLB hasn’t cleared him yet. He is the top international prospect for this signing year (goes until July 1 of 2019). He will be 22 years old next week. Think of him as a college senior that would go top 5 in the draft and start at AA. He has 70 speed and 70 arm and comps to Robles with the nats. Plus plus defense in the outfield and hits for power and average.  

Can the Os sign him ?

They have the best chance to sign him. They have all of their international $ and if they are making a commitment to international then they have a perfect storm to spend it this winter. Projected bonus $3.5 mm. That would leave $2 mm to throw at 30 other 16-17 year olds that didn’t get signed and hope one of them hits. Victor Victor would come in as our 3rd best prospect off the bat but has the highest ceiling. (My opinion but you won’t hear too big of an argument from there)

Whats the deal with MLB clearing him? Just a matter of time?

2 hours ago, ISU94 said:

I like what I am hearing....We moaned and groaned for two days but they did a great job and are promising change,

I don't know about you but it sounds to me like Duquette will be staying. Is anybody also getting this impression? It's great if he's actually going to ge allowed to do his job. I believe he will find value in the international market.

8 minutes ago, 99ct said:

Whats the deal with MLB clearing him? Just a matter of time?

Because of the embargo with Cuba, they must first gain citizenship with another country and then send in petition paperwork to MLB, at least that is how it has been. It was suppose to change with Obama easing but I don’t thing it did. NOT A POLITICAL DEBATE! Prefacing just Incase someone wants to turn it into one. 

I believe he has gain citizenship somewhere but I don’t think he has worked out for anyone. I worry a bit because he looks like he has some money on his instagram posts which makes me fear someone has already paid him and is just letting him work out and wait until next July 2. But I don’t know. Someone else might have more insight but next years class is suppose to be stacked so I am not sure who would want to give him a back door deal with the risk of injury and lots of kids coming up next year. 

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I know you have heard it before, but this time it will literally come true.

I so remember that ;) I guess I’m so starved for good news that I’m hopeful, though. Definitely tuning in to 105.7 in the morning to hear what else may be said. Wish I’d thought of turning in tonight. 

3 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

At this point if they continue to move vets for prospects, I wouldn’t even mind if they DFA’d Mancini. 

A lot of people would agree with you. For now, I remain a Mancini believer and hope he gets enough opportunity to work through whatever he needs to. 

4 minutes ago, 24fps said:

A lot of people would agree with you. For now, I remain a Mancini believer and hope he gets enough opportunity to work through whatever he needs to. 

I'm not a believer but I don't think they need 40 man room enough that they have to DFA him.

18 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Agreed.  If you are going to start DFAs, he isn’t the first person that should go. He also has options.

9 hours ago, MrOrange82 said:

This seems like a good opportunity for a follow-up to Tony's article from a few weeks (months?) back about politics inside the warehouse. 

Was a power struggle actually playing out this season? Had Brady been given the reins to shape this year's team? Did its spectacular failure put DD back in firm/unchallenged control of the organizational direction going forward? Can DD really be expected to wield enough influence/resources to modernize the scouting/development systems and spend internationally?

DD doesn't sound like a guy with one foot out the door.  Maybe he's just doing a great PR job and it will just be business as usual with DD going like we all thought, but could DD actually be getting a new contract?  At the beginning of the season I thought Buck would be back and DD gone.  Could a 180 on that scenario have really happened?  This is going to be an interested 3-6 months, to say the least.

Archived