Beckham's move to SS

wildcard

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Nobody at AAA, either that can play major league SS.

There are some good reports on Valera as a good backup at SS/2B/3B but he is not supposed to be an every day player.   He is on  the 40 man roster so we will probably see him in September if not before.

24 minutes ago, wildcard said:

There are some good reports on Valera as a good backup at SS/2B/3B but he is not supposed to be an every day player.   He is on  the 40 man roster so we will probably see him in September if not before.

I wonder how he compares to Wilkerson?

For Beckham, he is a streaky hitter, but did the move back to short ease the burden on him mentally and he is better at the plate due to it?

Just now, Legend_Of_Joey said:

For Beckham, he is a streaky hitter, but did the move back to short ease the burden on him mentally and he is better at the plate due to it?

Wilkerson is not supposed to be rangy enough to be a good SS from what I have read.  A 2B that can play 3B and maybe some OF.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

4 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Beckham has played more games at SS, then 3rd or 2nd.

I think at times, 3rd is harder to play than SS, yes, SS has more chances to touch the ball, but you really need a quick reflexes for 3rd, and a cannon for an arm helps.

35 minutes ago, wildcard said:

It looks like Beckham will get a two month trial at SS because there is no one better in the O's organization at this point. Bears watching.  Maybe he gets better defensively with more consistent time at SS.  Dickerson will be working with him every day.   I like Dickerson as an infield coach.

Beckham certainly will do better than making 2 errors for every 3 games he plays.    He made 9 errors in 49 games for us at SS last year, and the advanced metrics graded him at pretty average.    He’s at least capable of playing at around that level over the remaining 56 games, but he’s certainly gotten off to a very poor start defensively since returning to SS.

3 hours ago, VaBird1 said:

That’s understandable, but yesterday’s error for example was because neither Davis or Bundy was where they should have been.  Over his career he grades out average at all three infield positions.  I think I’d like him best at 2B with a very good fielder at SS and Schoop at 3B ideally.   But first we need that SS ?

I guess you didn't see the replay and notice how wide Beckham's throw was.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Not only that, but Schoop has a 1.209 OPS with Beckham playing SS, Davis has a 1.004 OPS, Jones has a 1.020 OPS,  Rickard has a .964 OPS, Valencia has an .898 OPS, Mancini has an .864 OPS and Joseph has an .839 OPS.   

Beckham for MVP! :D

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Not only that, but Schoop has a 1.209 OPS with Beckham playing SS, Davis has a 1.004 OPS, Jones has a 1.020 OPS,  Rickard has a .964 OPS, Valencia has an .898 OPS, Mancini has an .864 OPS and Joseph has an .839 OPS.   

You solved the team's problem!!!!!! Frobby for Orioles manager. 

Bottom line is that Beckham is pretty much playing for his job over the next two months.  If he hits better and plays acceptable defense, he'll probably be our SS next year.  If he doesn't, he'll probably be non-tendered if there is another option.  I hope he does well, as they already have enough holes to fill.  Then they can re-evaluate him again next year.

5 minutes ago, esmd said:

Bottom line is that Beckham is pretty much playing for his job over the next two months.  If he hits better and plays acceptable defense, he'll probably be our SS next year.  If he doesn't, he'll probably be non-tendered if there is another option.  I hope he does well, as they already have enough holes to fill.  Then they can re-evaluate him again next year.

I'm not a big fan, but the guy's been shuttled around the IF quite a bit. Because he's not a plus fielder in the first place, and maybe because of his temperament, he might not be well suited to that use. Let's try to find out. Unless another, younger option arises, I would tell him he's the SS nest year, put him there from day one of spring training, and see what happens. 

Just now, spiritof66 said:

I'm not a big fan, but the guy's been shuttled around the IF quite a bit. Because he's not a plus fielder in the first place, and maybe because of his temperament, he might not be well suited to that use. Let's try to find out. Unless another, younger option arises, I would tell him he's the SS nest year, put him there from day one of spring training, and see what happens. 

I'd probably be okay with that, but I would like to see an uptick in his play for the rest of the season to give me some confidence that it's the right move.  He's going to get paid a decent chunk in arbitration - this year he was at 3.35M, and even with the season he's had, that will go up for next year I'm sure.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/beckhti01.shtml

I’d be surprised to see him non tendered, assuming he can keep his bat going. If nothing else he could be a pretty good mid season trade option next season for a team looking for a 2B and at worst you have to run 9 guys out there even in a (most likely) lost season.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

And the team is playing .444 ball since Manny left — nearly a 50% improvement. So clearly jettisoning Manny was the catalyst this team needed. Grief rakes, apparently. ;) 

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Gee if we had played Beckham at SS and Manny at 3B we'd make the playoffs.?

Archived