Orioles Deal Gausman/O'Day to Braves - Schoop to Brewers

weams

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Here, let's do this.  You tell me how the Orioles would be better with O'Day's contract still on the books.  

I already explained this to you.  It would increase the prospect return.  Which is all that matters during a rebuild.  You don't do ANYTHING that comes at the expense of prospects.  

Rebuilds SUCKKKKKKKKKK.  There's no such thing as an enjoyable one.  All you can do is hope they don't last long.  You know how they don't last long?  You get as many good prospects as you can, as quickly as you can, to get you a competitive, cost controlled team.  You know how you do that?  You don't do anything that comes at the expense of prospects.  Instead, you do everything that allows for the maximizing of prospects. 

Just now, Chito said:

This is what it comes down to. Gausman just hasn't been all that great. Certainly not very consistent. Shoulder issues here and there, along with dropping velocity.

4.22 career ERA (I know he's a little higher this year) pitching half of his games in the AL East.  Gausman is an innings eater and strike guys out when he needs to.  I think he's a solid # 2 starter in the NL.  His velocity has been fine.  

This was not a good return.  There should have been no rush to trade him if we weren't getting blown away.  We didn't get a single exciting prospect back IMO.  Four players with serious questions.  

• Upvote 1

So I guess Jean Carmona kind of makes it as if we made a fairly substantial J2 player in 2016.

BP has had a couple fantasy notes on him this summer for fantasy uber-crazies:

From 7/12:

Jean Carmona, SS, Brewers (Rookie Helena): 2-4, 2 3B, 2 R, 2 RBI, BB.
Carmona was signed during the same 2016 J2 period as Severino, but features a different package. He has a wide, projectable frame and may move to third base once he fills out. He’ll still be a plus defender and average runner, and could have an average hit tool with above-average power at peak.

And from 6/28:

Jean Carmona, SS, Brewers (Rookie Helena): 3-5, 3B, 2 R, 2 RBI.
Carmona was signed during the 2016 J2 period and has shown an advanced approach early. He’s a switch-hitter with a sound swing from both sides and has the ability to draw walks. He’s a plus defender and plus runner, and should bring value defensively wherever he plays. He’s a long way away, but Carmona has all the makings of an average regular at peak.

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

So if we're not trying to compete next year, a lower payroll shouldn't really matter.  What, you want a team full of Davis and Trumbo types, bloated guys that we can't trade with high payrolls?  A losing team with high payroll isn't good.

Here, let's do this.  You tell me how the Orioles would be better with O'Day's contract still on the books.  

They would have got a better prospect return. This trade gets in the way of the next 2-3 years IMO.

19 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Ownership must have given a directive.

Here's a grisly possibility. The desire to shed payroll could have escalated because the owner of the Orioles is near death, and  if he leaves the team to his sons that event will lead to an obligation of his estate to pay hundreds of millions of dollars in federal and state taxes. 

2 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

All of it is a departure from the past. If “possibly the international money” is the best thing any human has to say about trading Kevin Gausman, it’s not a good thing. You just can’t give him up for the steaming pile we got back. 

The best part of the deal is solidifying our grip on the #1 pick, for the next 4 years.

I don't think we've been watching the same guy pitch.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Reboulet'sStache said:

Yes, I'll take every team's Chris Davis and Trumbo right now if their contracts align with our rebuild.   Now if they are on the books for the next 10 years, obviously I don't want that.  But 0 WAR players that are making too much money and teams want to get rid of?  Let me have them.  Send me your top prospects and I'll take them.  Build up an elite farm system.  And about the time where all of these prospects I've "bought" are ready to turn us into a competitor, is the time these salaries are coming off the books.  And now I take that money and invest it in legit free agents to supplement the young, cost controlled players I brought.  

That's called a rebuild. 

Doesn't look like anyone was willing to do that.  I don't know how many teams ate salaries of undesirable players in order to get a stud prospect back this year.  Of all the trades I've read about, I can't think of one where a Davis/Trumbo type went along with an A+ prospect.  I think what you've outlined is more of a message board wet dream than what actually happens in reality.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Reboulet'sStache said:

I already explained this to you.  It would increase the prospect return.  Which is all that matters during a rebuild.  You don't do ANYTHING that comes at the expense of prospects.  

Rebuilds SUCKKKKKKKKKK.  There's no such thing as an enjoyable one.  All you can do is hope they don't last long.  You know how they don't last long?  You get as many good prospects as you can, as quickly as you can, to get you a competitive, cost controlled team.  You know how you do that?  You don't do anything that comes at the expense of prospects.  Instead, you do everything that allows for the maximizing of prospects. 

But you've got to have a reason for hope.  I think the O's are short at least a couple of great prospects at this point to have reasonable hope.  

Just now, spiritof66 said:

Here's a grisly possibility. The desire to shed payroll could have escalated because the owner of the Orioles is near death, and  if he leaves the team to his sons that event will lead to an obligation of his estate to pay hundreds of millions of dollars in federal and state taxes. 

Wouldn't passing the team over to the healthy children solve the issue?