Orioles Deal Gausman/O'Day to Braves - Schoop to Brewers

weams

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I didn’t say he was going to bring back the farm. Also Brewers had no room for him and money. 

That's their problem. If I was Duquette and they forced Villar down my throat you're damn sure I would have been asking for one of their top prospects. 

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

So if I understand you correctly you're upset that:

We traded a pitcher we all overvalued and who most likely wasn't going to reach his full potential in Baltimore and a broken, expensive reliever for:

2.5 million in international money

4 prospects

And why is this bad?

I'm never in favor of spending players or draft picks to get out of poor contracts.  Just eat the contract. 

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I agree with this. I wouldn't have muddied the waters of a Gausman trade with O'Day. It's pretty clear it was the wrong move, especially when you see what the Pirates gave up for Archer. I think most of us would have been ecstatic if Austin Meadows was the headliner of the Gausman trade. 

Gausman isn't Archer.  There's no real comp there.  

2 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Or...

Carmona is a fun prospect but a good 4 plus years away - if he makes it.    

Ortiz is fat and probably projects more as a reliever than a starter.

Villar has an OPS+ of 84 this year - following a 71 in 2017.  What happened to him - He looked like a rising star in 2016.  

It’s baseball. What does fat have to do with it? Lol. He’s a pitcher. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Or...

Carmona is a fun prospect but a good 4 plus years away - if he makes it.    

Ortiz is fat and probably projects more as a reliever than a starter.

Villar has an OPS+ of 84 this year - following a 71 in 2017.  What happened to him - He looked like a rising star in 2016.  

Fat shaming now are we? I can think of a few hefty pitchers that ended up with pretty awesome careers.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, LarryHarlow said:

I think his point, or belief, is that if O'Day hadn't been included, we would have received better prospects in return.  Assuming that is true, it makes sense, and we shouldn't have traded O'Day.

That's not really a "belief."  The Braves took on O'Day's salary as a salary dump.  They didn't do that out of the kindness of their hearts.  
All anybody could possibly argue is the extent to which it diminished the return.  But nobody could, in good faith, argue it didn't diminish the return. 

9 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The players the Pirates gave up for Archer make me scratch my head even more. I mean, I'm not a minor league savant, but I've certainly heard of Meadows and Glasnow. 

If all these moves were motivated by salary dumps then whoever put us in the hole by spearheading the O'Day, Davis, Trumbo, and Cobb signings should be tarred and feathered. Preferably during the 7th inning stretch of a weekend game. 

Glasnow is a reliever, Meadows shine has come off.

Wasn't great.

• Upvote 1

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

I agree. You were consistently against trades like Webb and Matusz. But we could need the money for VVM. 

What if we don't get VVM?  It's not a foregone conclusion that we get him and we already had enough slot money to offer him the best contract. 

Just now, Reboulet'sStache said:

That's not really a "belief."  The Braves took on O'Day's salary as a salary dump.  They didn't do that out of the kindness of their hearts.  
All anybody could possibly argue is the extent to which it diminished the return.  But nobody could, in good faith, argue it didn't diminish the return. 

I can't imagine if we were offered one of the top 10 pitching prospects then O'Day would have been thrown in