Orioles Deal Gausman/O'Day to Braves - Schoop to Brewers

weams

27 minutes ago, weams said:

Orioles won this trade big time. Atlanta got nothing but pain. 

Well, he did help them in their 2018 stretch run.    Went 5-3 and the Braves also won his other two starts.    But this year was a total waste, evidenced by the fact that they just gave him away for nothing.   Now let’s see if any of the guys we received contribute at the major league level some day.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, he did help them in their 2018 stretch run.    Went 5-3 and the Braves also won his other two starts.    But this year was a total waste, evidenced by the fact that they just gave him away for nothing.   Now let’s see if any of the guys we received contribute at the major league level some day.   

At least they cost nothing. Pays for a year of Chris Davis at the least. Duquette was a genius!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Even if they don't, the team saved a ton of money on his and O'Day's salaries. 

43 minutes ago, weams said:

Orioles won this trade big time. Atlanta got nothing but pain. 

I always liked that kid.  There were much bigger sunk costs than Gausman would have been (see Cobb, Alex).  Last year, Gausman went 5-3 for Atlanta with an ERA+ of 143,   not that would've made a difference on the Orioles' fate.   The real pain was sticking them with O'Day.   

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, weams said:

04rivera2_337-jumbo.jpg20130709_pjc_al8_157.0.jpg829746564.0.jpg"Koufax was arguably the greatest pitcher in baseball history. And all he had were two pitches: A fastball and a curveball. And on many nights he only had the fastball."

I admit to not knowing who the Oakland pitcher is, but the other two are closers and usually only need their stuff for one or two innings. You can get by with two (or even one in Mo's case) pitches as a closer if it's good enough, but a starting pitcher is a different story. Britton was the same type of pitcher who's not really suited for starting, but does well out of the pen.

It's hard to believe after all this time, Gausman still hasn't developed a third pitch even if it's just another change up like a palm ball or something. I don't know if he's just stubborn or what. Perhaps Gausman will be converted to a reliever at some point himself. It seems like the next logical step for his career if he insists on not developing a second reliable off-speed pitch.

5 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

I always liked that kid.  There were much bigger sunk costs than Gausman would have been (see Cobb, Alex).  Last year, Gausman went 5-3 for Atlanta with an ERA+ of 143,   not that would've made a difference on the Orioles' fate.   The real pain was sticking them with O'Day.   

Saving money. 

flo-png.52018

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sessh said:

I admit to not knowing who the Oakland pitcher is, but the other two are closers and usually only need their stuff for one or two innings. You can get by with two (or even one in Mo's case) pitches as a closer if it's good enough, but a starting pitcher is a different story. Britton was the same type of pitcher who's not really suited for starting, but does well out of the pen.

It's hard to believe after all this time, Gausman still hasn't developed a third pitch even if it's just another change up like a palm ball or something. I don't know if he's just stubborn or what. Perhaps Gausman will be converted to a reliever at some point himself. It seems like the next logical step for his career if he insists on not developing a second reliable off-speed pitch.

He probably would be a good reliever. 

5 minutes ago, Sessh said:

It's hard to believe after all this time, Gausman still hasn't developed a third pitch even if it's just another change up like a palm ball or something. 

The crazy part to me is it seems like his fastball and change both took steps down in quality from when he was drafted. I was under the impression that change up was a game changer.

It turned out to be a game changer, but not in the way we had hoped. 

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Even if those players never even make it to the major league level, the O's saved a ton of money in that trade. Looking back, I think it's safe to say now that DD won both the Milwaukee and Atlanta trades.