Grade the Gausman Deal

Frobby

Grade the Gausman Deal  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your grade for the Gausman deal

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/11/18 at 01:24

41 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I think the trade accomplished a number of positives.  It unloaded two large contracts for 2019, Gausman's and O'Days.  Rebuilding teams need to minimize salaries.  It brought back a large international bonus allotment that should enable them to bring in at least one major international signing.  Brought back a talented young 3rd baseman that isn't a "Top 100" prospect now but could develop into one in the near future.  The other players could play roles on an MLB roster although I doubt any turn into regulars.

On top of that, I'm just not that into Gausman.  Maybe Atlanta can tweak his pitch usage, i.e. more split fingers and less fastballs, etc., but I doubt that there's much that they can do with how well or poorly he commands those pitches.  Maybe in the era of "openers" they turn him into a four innings "second" pitcher.  But, I'm fine with the trade and return.

My question is this. Why was dumping salary such a concern? Yes, he's overpaid, but when healthy O'Day is at least a proven bullpen arm. The only contracts that I think would have justified sacrificing prospects for a salary dump are Trumbo and Davis' contracts. And to me, the paltry return we got for Gausman is magnified, by the hall the Rays got for Archer. I would have taken Meadows OR Glasnow straight up for Gausman over what the Braves gave us everyday of the week. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

My question is this. Why was dumping salary such a concern? Yes, he's overpaid, but when healthy O'Day is at least a proven bullpen arm. The only contracts that I think would have justified sacrificing prospects for a salary dump are Trumbo and Davis' contracts. And to me, the paltry return we got for Gausman is magnified, by the hall the Rays got for Archer. I would have taken Meadows OR Glasnow straight up for Gausman over what the Braves gave us everyday of the week. 

Archer is a better pitcher, hence, a better deal could be obtained.

Just now, NCRaven said:

O'Day has missed significant time due to injuries for a number of years now.  I don't think that's likely to change.  Redirecting that money to other, more important areas has value.

As much as I love O'Day, as he as aged, he hasnt been able to stay healthy and off the IR/DL.

18 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

O'Day has missed significant time due to injuries for a number of years now.  I don't think that's likely to change.  Redirecting that money to other, more important areas has value.

I mean, he was only under contract for one more year. If he had multiple years left I could see your point, but they basically ruined the prospect return to save one year of O'Day's salary. And this is after we had already dumped Machado, Britton, and Brach's salaries. 

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

I mean, he was only under contract for one more year. If he had multiple years left I could see your point, but they basically ruined the prospect return to save one year of O'Day's salary. And this is after we had already dumped Machado, Britton, and Brach's salaries. 

Whats the point, why not save more money, its not like this team will do anything for 2-3 years minimum?

10 hours ago, wildcard said:

That is where you and I disagree.   Gausman is a #2 and may become a #1 on a good team.  He was held back by a bad defense, offense and pen.  Watch what happens with the Braves.

How does a bad offense and pen hold Gausman back?   As to bad defense, as I’ve mentioned, his FIP was 4.58.   He was allowing 1.5 homers per 9 innings and the fielders can’t do anything about that.    He flat out pitched like a no. 4-5 starter the last two years.   Is he capable of pitching better?   Yeah, I think so.    But not for these reasons.    I’ll be really surprised if he ever becomes a strong no. 2, because he doesn’t have a good breaking pitch and his fastball command comes and goes.   

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

How does a bad offense and pen hold Gausman back?   As to bad defense, as I’ve mentioned, his FIP was 4.58.   He was allowing 1.5 homers per 9 innings and the fielders can’t do anything about that.    He flat out pitched like a no. 4-5 starter the last two years.   Is he capable of pitching better?   Yeah, I think so.    But not for these reasons.    I’ll be really surprised if he ever becomes a strong no. 2, because he doesn’t have a good breaking pitch and his fastball command comes and goes.   

Yeah, it's hard to argue with any of that, really.