Grade the Gausman Deal

Frobby

Grade the Gausman Deal  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your grade for the Gausman deal

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/11/18 at 01:24

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Yes, that's what I meant. I don't like that O'Day was included in the deal if we could have done better. However, we don't know that any better prospects were offered. It's possible Atlanta said "we'll give you Encarnacion and that's as high as we're going to go." Then DD said, "If you can't come up with a better prospect, you're going to have to help me with salary."

I misunderstood. 

3 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

The bonus money for Atlanta was really useless though.

Given that NYY received around 2.75 million in bonus money, it’s possible that they forced our hand there if we are serious about VVM. (And I’d like to think that we are.) There’s a moderate chance that a player will take the Yankees offer -300k or so, but if the difference is closer to 1-1.5 million this is much less likely.

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It’s not like his salary is that outrageous.  Just keep O’Day on the club if would have sweetened the pot.

Plus O’Day could be decent next year.  We’re not talking about Ubaldo or Davis.

I don't think you understand. The idea is not to be decent next year.  It was about saving the money. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Yes, that's what I meant. I don't like that O'Day was included in the deal if we could have done better. However, we don't know that any better prospects were offered. It's possible Atlanta said "we'll give you Encarnacion and that's as high as we're going to go." Then DD said, "If you can't come up with a better prospect, you're going to have to help me with salary."

I'm willing to bet one of the other teams offered a better prospect return, but shipping off O'Day's contact held a significant value to the Orioles. We'll see how useful the extra 2.5M in international money is, but they likely wanted some to make sure they stayed comfortably in the driver's seat for VVM.

16 minutes ago, weams said:

I don't think Nightengale knows anything about prospects, but if you are on the high side of the range of opinions on all of these prospects, they are worth around 30M in surplus value, plus O'Day is owed 12M and would likely only be a 2-3M guy at best if he was on the open market, so that's 40M in value plus whatever you think the 2.5M of international allotment is worth. That's not quite the Machado return, but it's pretty close. 

Now I think Gausman should have been worth more than Machado, given the team control, so I'm not a big fan of the trade, but in concert with all the moves made (including the returns of other team's trades), I'm pretty happy with the decisive sell-off.