Ex-Orioles in the postseason

Moose Milligan

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Alomar overall was not a dirty player, this was a very sad and terrible memory in Oriole history.

I totally agree. And I did remember the connection he and Hirschbeck developed. It was an ugly, ugly incident though. Really tarnished an otherwise wonderful year for the Orioles. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Folks love to gloss over what the Umpire did to cause Alomar's reaction.

Both sides were at fault and the Ump should have also been suspended.

Yes, I agree, there was plenty of fault on both sides.

Usually, guys that are truly dirty players, will have multiple incidents in their closet.

How many players did Ty Cobb spike going into 2nd base, back in the steel spike era?

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Yes, I agree, there was plenty of fault on both sides.

Usually, guys that are truly dirty players, will have multiple incidents in their closet.

How many players did Ty Cobb spike going into 2nd base, back in the steel spike era?

TBF - men were MEN back in the day and this was the norm, IMO!  ?  (Is that "politically" incorrect?  If so I own it and apologize, but I was kidding).

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bobmc said:

TBF - men were MEN back in the day and this was the norm, IMO!  ?  (Is that "politically" incorrect?  If so I own it and apologize, but I was kidding).

Back in the day, this was common practice, but regardless Cobb was well known for playing harder and go after you, more than anybody else.

Cobb would go to a place in the dugout where the infielders on the other team could see him, and sharpen his spikes. Cobb was called "the dirtiest player I ever saw" by the normally reserved Connie Mack.

The best story is about a young pitcher who intentionally beaned him in his first plate appearance. Cobb took his base without saying a word. The next time he came up to bat, he dropped a bunt down the first-base line. When the pitcher went to field the ball, Cobb knocked him over, then spiked him on the chest. The pitcher was sliced open and had to leave the game

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Back in the day, this was common practice, but regardless Cobb was well known for playing harder and go after you, more than anybody else.

Cobb was called "the dirtiest player I ever saw" by the normally reserved Connie Mack.

Cornelius McGillicuddy was known to hyperbolize, just saying!  ⚾

Edited by bobmc
Mac w dd

Did anyone see Paul Mancano's report for MASN today? He had a clip from the World Series last night. The camera was panning across the players during the Anthem, and it got to Manny just at the right time. He was standing quietly at attention, and just at the right time during the Anthem you could see him mouth "O".

You can take the guy out of the Orioles , but you can't take the Orioles out of the guy.

• Upvote 1