Poll: Will the O's sign the Mesa brothers?

Greg Pappas

Will the O's sign the Mesa brothers?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Will the O's sign the Mesa brothers?

26 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

You are misreading the article, he says they have a bit over 2M remaining, not that they’ve spent that much. So let’s say it’s 2.5M remaining, that’d mean they spent 4M already, which would be if the average bonus of the players whose bonus wasn’t reported was about 100k, which is reasonable.

What article are you referencing?

Speaking of Cuban defectors, there are a number of interesting ones out there.

Yoelkis Céspedes- Yoenis’s brother

Norge Vera- probably the best arm available this cycle

Pedro Manuel León- toolsy 21 year old OF with dominant Cuban League stats

There are 5 others of various quality as well who are unsigned in my understanding of the situation.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

You are misreading the article, he says they have a bit over 2M remaining, not that they’ve spent that much. So let’s say it’s 2.5M remaining, that’d mean they spent 4M already, which would be if the average bonus of the players whose bonus wasn’t reported was about 100k, which is reasonable.

You're right, it's been a few days since I read the article. My bad!

@Can_of_corn is more wrong now, so great!

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

You did see that I repped Luke for the correction right?  I'm happy that they are spending more.

Huge difference between spending 2M and 4.4M.

I saw. Just wanted to entice you to actually say something on the topic. You've been off base on this topic since the jump, despite overwhelming and hard evidence that the Orioles are improving in this area. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I saw. Just wanted to entice you to actually say something on the topic. You've been off base on this topic since the jump, despite overwhelming and hard evidence that the Orioles are improving in this area. 

I never said no improvement has taken place.  My issue has always been if ownership was authorizing the use of funds to the extent allowed by the slotting system.

If they had only spent 2M of their 6.4M pool it would indicate that funds might not be available.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I never said no improvement has taken place.  My issue has always been if ownership was authorizing the use of funds to the extent allowed by the slotting system.

If they had only spent 2M of their 6.4M pool it would indicate that funds might not be available.

But why wouldn't it be? Before Elias was even hired, we heard from ownership that they were reversing course on the international market and that tied into the Duquette trades. Then we heard that again from ownership and Elias during his initial press conference. Then Elias hired Perez. 

Since the Duquette trades, there's never been one shred of evidence pointing to the fact that ownership was going to put a lid on spending those funds! Yes, Peter did in the past, but the club has been pretty transparent about that AND about reversing course on it. 

It's just skepticism for the sake of being pessimistic. Which I definitely get because Orioles. But as soon as Perez was hired - who is a very big deal in his area of expertise - it was obvious the game done changed. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, interloper said:

But why wouldn't it be? Before Elias was even hired, we heard from ownership that they were reversing course on the international market and that tied into the Duquette trades. Then we heard that again from ownership and Elias during his initial press conference. Then Elias hired Perez. 

Since the Duquette trades, there's never been one shred of evidence pointing to the fact that ownership was going to put a lid on spending those funds! Yes, Peter did in the past, but the club has been pretty transparent about that AND about reversing course on it. 

It's just skepticism for the sake of being pessimistic. Which I definitely get because Orioles. But as soon as Perez was hired - who is a very big deal in his area of expertise - it was obvious the game done changed. 

Fred Ferreira was a very big deal and him joining Dan didn't change things.

The way they handled their International pool last year, specifically allowing themselves to be outbid substantially on the Cubans, is what led me to believe that it was possible that ownership wasn't willing to fully fund the International market.  That and how pleased ownership was with the Gausman trade (which was mostly about shedding payroll). 

When ownership is obviously concerned with lowering costs and at the same time they are not spending what they could on players, I think it is fair to question finances.

42 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Fred Ferreira was a very big deal and him joining Dan didn't change things.

The way they handled their International pool last year, specifically allowing themselves to be outbid substantially on the Cubans, is what led me to believe that it was possible that ownership wasn't willing to fully fund the International market.  That and how pleased ownership was with the Gausman trade (which was mostly about shedding payroll). 

When ownership is obviously concerned with lowering costs and at the same time they are not spending what they could on players, I think it is fair to question finances.

Fred I think we understand now was not the big deal he was touted to be. He threw Dan a couple bones, and then disappeared. He did not have nearly the title nor stature within the Orioles organization nor recent track record that Perez had with the Indians. But nevertheless, both of the bolded above were during the time when the O's very clearly stated they would not really be participating internationally outside of the Pacific and Cuba. And they did just that with Chen, Uehara, Urrutia, and Alvarez. Gonzalez was a nice bonus pluck out of the Mexican league that required no real international scouting effort like Moose's 17 year olds do. 

That all changed at the end of last year during the ownership handoff to John and Lou. They stated it changed very clearly, then followed up in a big way. There just isn't much to go on other than pure skepticism, which again, I do get. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Fred I think we understand now was not the big deal he was touted to be. He threw Dan a couple bones, and then disappeared. He did not have nearly the title nor stature within the Orioles organization nor recent track record that Perez had with the Indians. But nevertheless, both of the bolded above were during the time when the O's very clearly stated they would not really be participating internationally outside of the Pacific and Cuba. And they did just that with Chen, Uehara, Urrutia, and Alvarez. Gonzalez was a nice bonus pluck out of the Mexican league that required no real international scouting effort like Moose's 17 year olds do. 

That all changed at the end of last year during the ownership handoff to John and Lou. They stated it changed very clearly, then followed up in a big way. There just isn't much to go on other than pure skepticism, which again, I do get. 

Elias did trade away millions in slots last signing period.

16 minutes ago, interloper said:

Fred I think we understand now was not the big deal he was touted to be. He threw Dan a couple bones, and then disappeared. He did not have nearly the title nor stature within the Orioles organization nor recent track record that Perez had with the Indians. 

Well, he did win MLB’s international scout of the year award in 2012 with us.    And, he did hold the title Executive Director of International Recruiting, which to me sounds at least as lofty as Perez’s Senior Director of International Scouting.   But obviously, the O’s did not commit many resources to the main markets in the Dominican and Venezuela while Ferreira was here.   

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well, he did win MLB’s international scout of the year award in 2012 with us.    And, he did hold the title Executive Director of International Recruiting, which to me sounds at least as lofty as Perez’s Senior Director of International Scouting.   But obviously, the O’s did not commit many resources to the main markets in the Dominican and Venezuela while Ferreira was here.   

DD talked about creating academies in places like the DR when he came on board.  For whatever reason- likely at the behest of Peter- they never followed through with any of that talk. 

30 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

DD talked about creating academies in places like the DR when he came on board.  For whatever reason- likely at the behest of Peter- they never followed through with any of that talk. 

Apparently the Orioles are rebuilding and modernizing the faciities in the DR and in latin America in general