What is going on?

LookinUp

43 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

Maybe it would be better if the O's moved -- as long they changed the team name after they relocated.  Then Baltimore could draw an expansion franchise ... called the Orioles!  Might be better than dealing with this current mess of a team -- gives the city a chance to start fresh with a new Orioles team minus the Angelos legacy.

Ah, kind of similar to what happened with the Ravens.  We took the old Browns... then Cleveland got a new Browns.

Regarding Nashville, I'm not really sure that they are hungering for baseball.  I lived there for over a decade (moving back to Maryland in 2016) and when I would go to Sounds games from time to time (nice to catch a little live baseball now and then when your team is 700 miles away) they were never coming close to filling out their park. Granted it's a AAA park, but people at the games never really seemed to have any team spirit (few hats and jerseys, never really excitedly cheering the home team successes during games, et cetera)... it just felt like they were there like I was was... just there to catch a ball game now and then.

Granted, Nashville really took well (surprised me, frankly) to the NHL when they expanded into town... but a hockey team can be successful with a much smaller fan base than a baseball team can.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

We're neglecting to consider that someone could also buy the team and keep it in Baltimore. I personally thought the talks of potentially selling were far fetched a few weeks ago, but now it's in the back of my mind as a possibility. 

Also, "eroded to historic lows" is a bit much considering the team was contending just a few seasons ago. If they win the fans will come. They real question is do they have a plan to get back to winning? All we have to go on are the words of a former GM. 

Not at this point it won’t. The lease is up too soon. The value added of movement is too great. 

For what it’s worth, I think the odds of an ownership change are higher than people here seem to think. I think the odds of new ownership moving the team or almost nil. Doesn’t make any sense. It’s not a perfect city for baseball, but it is a good baseball city. The problem is the product.

16 hours ago, Morgan423 said:

Ah, kind of similar to what happened with the Ravens.  We took the old Browns... then Cleveland got a new Browns.

Regarding Nashville, I'm not really sure that they are hungering for baseball.  I lived there for over a decade (moving back to Maryland in 2016) and when I would go to Sounds games from time to time (nice to catch a little live baseball now and then when your team is 700 miles away) they were never coming close to filling out their park. Granted it's a AAA park, but people at the games never really seemed to have any team spirit (few hats and jerseys, never really excitedly cheering the home team successes during games, et cetera)... it just felt like they were there like I was was... just there to catch a ball game now and then.

Granted, Nashville really took well (surprised me, frankly) to the NHL when they expanded into town... but a hockey team can be successful with a much smaller fan base than a baseball team can.

Hahaha yeah what a model franchise the new Browns have become. 

On 10/27/2018 at 6:33 AM, weams said:

Not at this point it won’t. The lease is up too soon. The value added of movement is too great. 

What do you mean by "value added of movement"?  What value is there moving the Orioles to an inferior market -- especially an inferior local TV market?  

10 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

What do you mean by "value added of movement"?  What value is there moving the Orioles to an inferior market -- especially an inferior local TV market?  

To a would be purchaser, the value of being able to move the franchise and set up their own distribution deals is huge. Regardless of the TV market. 

7 minutes ago, weams said:

To a would be purchaser, the value of being able to move the franchise and set up their own distribution deals is huge. Regardless of the TV market. 

No it isn't.  A new owner cannot just make new distribution deals materialize from nothing.  The value of any distribution deal would be determined by the team's market.  All of the markets that currently don't have a  team are smaller than Baltimore -- with the exception of markets in Canada.  Look for those markets to produce distribution deals significantly inferior to MASN and the others.  Unless the O's move to New York or LA -- both of which could probably support a third team -- I can't see how any market out there without a team would come close to matching Baltimore.  All the other best options are AAAA markets.

18 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

No it isn't.  A new owner cannot just make new distribution deals materialize from nothing.  The value of any distribution deal would be determined by the team's market.  All of the markets that currently don't have a  team are smaller than Baltimore -- with the exception of markets in Canada.  Look for those markets to produce distribution deals significantly inferior to MASN and the others.  Unless the O's move to New York or LA -- both of which could probably support a third team -- I can't see how any market out there without a team would come close to matching Baltimore.  All the other best options are AAAA markets.

Mexico City? Willemstad?

On 10/26/2018 at 6:28 PM, Morgan423 said:

Charlotte would be a much better choice in my view...

On 10/26/2018 at 6:28 PM, Morgan423 said:

The sounds are minor league....I've been to Nashville many times and most of the executives that I meant look at the town as Major League.

6 minutes ago, raypetty said:

I hope this team is not moved.  We already had to endure Irsay moving the Colts to Indy and to see the team sold and moved to another state would be sad.  I can't root for the Nationals!

The Orioles aren't getting moved. I swear the Colts moving in 1984 has everyone spooked out about something that is never going to happen. 

Archived