When will the Orioles Announce hirings?

Bahama O's Fan

45 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Teams are not supposed to make announcements during the World Series, which doesn't start until tomorrow. Remember the outcry when Scott Boras announced during the series that ARod was invoking his opt out with the Yankees? It was such a big deal that ARod fired him.

Well, as I said before, no one cares about the Orioles, no one is going to care if they announce it during the WS or not.  The best player on the marquee franchise, thats a different story.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, as I said before, no one cares about the Orioles, no one is going to care if they announce it during the WS or not.  The best player on the marquee franchise, thats a different story.

Local media is pitiful.  No one knows what this mess of a ownership intends.  Ken Rosenthal, despite any axe he might have to grind, has been mostly accurate in his criticisms or "news." 

The only way that these owners can keep a secret is to have it totally in house.  The GM is going to be someone in the organization because they can control him.  It's the only explanation for it being sooooo quiet.  This is a dumpster fire and we are in for a world of pain going forward.  Why?  Because these were EXACTLY the same things said after the successful 90's Playoff seasons .  "We're gonna build the farm and produce arms."  It was BS!!  They couldn't build a farm if they were given pigs, cows, chickens,  seed, AND acreage to do it on.

Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.  I don't trust a thing they say.  Prove it with action.

Strike one:  Missing on the  Mesa Mesa's.  They were inept in that market.  To expect that they would suddenly prove adept by SAYING they were committed to it...  Laughable.  Allowing money devoted to it, ostensibly... and then trading some for a nobdy not land the fish is par for the course with these morons.  Does anyone believe that DD did it on his own, at this point?  After not being renewed?  He was a puppet executing ownershits directives...  The idea that we were going to land those guys was a pipe dream.  Organizationally, we had no presence in that market until yesterday... who in their right mind would consider a bid from that?  No one with and agent...

We lucked into the good baseball we saw over the past 5-6 years because the ownership group trusted baseball guys to do their jobs.  When ownership got bent because they thought knew better or because some guy wasn't committed to the team, things collapsed fast.

...to your point, NO ONE cares about the Orioles except those of us that do. 

19 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

Local media is pitiful.  No one knows what this mess of a ownership intends.  Ken Rosenthal, despite any axe he might have to grind, has been mostly accurate in his criticisms or "news." 

The only way that these owners can keep a secret is to have it totally in house.  The GM is going to be someone in the organization because they can control him.  It's the only explanation for it being sooooo quiet.  This is a dumpster fire and we are in for a world of pain going forward.  Why?  Because these were EXACTLY the same things said after the successful 90's Playoff seasons .  "We're gonna build the farm and produce arms."  It was BS!!  They couldn't build a farm if they were given pigs, cows, chickens,  seed, AND acreage to do it on.

Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.  I don't trust a thing they say.  Prove it with action.

Strike one:  Missing on the  Mesa Mesa's.  They were inept in that market.  To expect that they would suddenly prove adept by SAYING they were committed to it...  Laughable.  Allowing money devoted to it, ostensibly... and then trading some for a nobdy not land the fish is par for the course with these morons.  Does anyone believe that DD did it on his own, at this point?  After not being renewed?  He was a puppet executing ownershits directives...  The idea that we were going to land those guys was a pipe dream.  Organizationally, we had no presence in that market until yesterday... who in their right mind would consider a bid from that?  No one with and agent...

We lucked into the good baseball we saw over the past 5-6 years because the ownership group trusted baseball guys to do their jobs.  When ownership got bent because they thought knew better or because some guy wasn't committed to the team, things collapsed fast.

...to your point, NO ONE cares about the Orioles except those of us that do. 

And to your point, we lucked into good baseball when the Sox and Yanks weren't that good.  It's not like it was a three way dogfight for AL East supremacy and we won out.  The East was up for grabs, we just happened to be the best of a subpar lot of teams.  

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

And to your point, we lucked into good baseball when the Sox and Yanks weren't that good.  It's not like it was a three way dogfight for AL East supremacy and we won out.  The East was up for grabs, we just happened to be the best of a subpar lot of teams.  

And it will be about another decade until both franchises decline again. 

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

And it will be about another decade until both franchises decline again. 

Both of them are quite capable of stupid decisions and despite their considerable advantages financially, they often too fall into different big market  traps...often of their own creation.  Our task is to build another winning team, not worry about the MFYs and Red Sox...

12 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Both of them are quite capable of stupid decisions and despite their considerable advantages financially, they often too fall into different big market  traps...often of their own creation.  Our task is to build another winning team, not worry about the MFYs and Red Sox...

Our task?  Are we working in the Warehouse?

Cherington is the candidate to get. He got a bad deal in Boston. Look what he did,

Inherited the Chicken Box mess.  

Ownership forced him to hire Bobby V. 

He pulled off that amazing trade to dump Gonzo, Crawford and Beckett. 

Won the WS the following year. 

At the time he was fired, the Red Sox were regarded as having the best farm system in baseball. 

I found this article here

http://sonsofsamhorn.com/baseball/majorleaguebaseball/al-east/boston-red-sox/times-up-for-red-sox-general-manager-ben-cherington/

“For while the Red Sox and Ben Cherington were “lucky” in 2013 that most of the bets paid off handsomely, the 2014 and 2015 Red Sox have been just as “unlucky” that most of the bets have busted. Dombrowski inherits a situation that is far better than it looks in the standings. A fantastic farm system, a core of young up the middle players, and some veterans who are going to want to come back and show they are not as bad as they have been. The Red Sox have already gone from last to first this decade… with the system Cherington has left for Dombrowski, it would not be a surprise to see it happen again”

9 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

No. The Orioles were the best team in baseball in 2014. Without Manny and Wieters and Chris Davis. 

50 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Cherington is the candidate to get. He got a bad deal in Boston. Look what he did,

Inherited the Chicken Box mess.  

Ownership forced him to hire Bobby V. 

He pulled off that amazing trade to dump Gonzo, Crawford and Beckett. 

Won the WS the following year. 

At the time he was fired, the Red Sox were regarded as having the best farm system in baseball. 

I found this article here

http://sonsofsamhorn.com/baseball/majorleaguebaseball/al-east/boston-red-sox/times-up-for-red-sox-general-manager-ben-cherington/

“For while the Red Sox and Ben Cherington were “lucky” in 2013 that most of the bets paid off handsomely, the 2014 and 2015 Red Sox have been just as “unlucky” that most of the bets have busted. Dombrowski inherits a situation that is far better than it looks in the standings. A fantastic farm system, a core of young up the middle players, and some veterans who are going to want to come back and show they are not as bad as they have been. The Red Sox have already gone from last to first this decade… with the system Cherington has left for Dombrowski, it would not be a surprise to see it happen again”

Maybe Cherington as President, Amiel Sawdaye as GM and John Farrell as manager?

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

Not a huge fan of Farrell.  Would like a younger, cheaper manager that maybe can develop.

I am not a huge Farrell fan but he is a good pitching coach who has risen past that level to manager.   He has been Cherington's manager and is now a scouting for the Reds.  So he is probably available.   

Buck's best years were with Wallace as pitching coach.   Having a good pitching coach is very important.    If the only way to get a good pitching coach is to hire Farrell as manager, I would consider that.

Archived