Orioles hire Mike Elias as Executive Vice President and GM

ISU94

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. I like the hire, if it works out. A bit confused that they said the new Exec would hire the GM. Guess he had a great interview.

Britt article said that he will be the GM and he will hire an assistant GM. Not sure why we need someone with Title of Team President. Isn't all semantics? Elias is in charge. 

4 minutes ago, mskrulz said:

Interesting. I like the hire, if it works out. A bit confused that they said the new Exec would hire the GM. Guess he had a great interview.

Britt article said that he will be the GM and he will hire an assistant GM. Not sure why we need someone with Title of Team President. Isn't all semantics? Elias is in charge. 

Not semantics when the Owners say one thing and do another. I don't care if they call him the Head Zookeeper. Just seems odd. Then again, it's the Orioles.

1 minute ago, Satyr3206 said:

Not semantics when the Owners say one thing and do another. I don't care if they call him the Head Zookeeper. Just seems odd. Then again, it's the Orioles.

I don't think the owners said anything but they were hiring a baseball executive from outside the organization.   The President plus GM idea was first reported but Roch and picked up by others as far as I know.  

It doesn't surprise me at all that, as they went through the interview process and met with a number of candidates, the Angelos's view of how the top position should be defined changed.  It's clear that they used this as a learning process as well as an executive search process.  If they learned new things, it was entirely appropriate that they adapt to that new information.  It's clear that Elias will be the top baseball decision maker.  The title is irrelevant.

1 hour ago, hayek said:

To get an idea as to how advanced analytics can be used in baseball, I highly recommend the book Astroball. 

Astroball: The New Way to Win It All

Just off the top of my head, I recall chapters on:

1.  How they encouraged J.D. Martinez to rebuild his swing.  If Chris Davis isn't sent to the same swing doctor, I will be shocked.  Heck, the whole team should be sent.

2.  How the Astro's knew why Justin Verlander was underperforming when he was still with Detroit.  Then they signed him, and let him in on the secret.  Hope they have the dirt on Bundy and others.  

3.  How they decided on Correa and Bregman as top picks.  Gives me hope they won't strike out with the Oriole's #1 picks the next couple of years.  

4.  How they provided individualized scouting reports to their players, including Dallas Keuchel, to allow them to make the most of their strengths.

Mike Elias and Sig play big roles throughout.  Gotta say, if this comes to pass, I am super excited for the future of the Orioles.  

Very, very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Really can't ask for a better solution than with Elias and Mejdal coming in to lead this organization! I'm trying to temper my excitement until I hear them discuss the way forward, but love this so far!

Yes it appears the Angelos brothers get it. Still have to follow through and rebuild the organization.

Archived