Orioles hire Mike Elias as Executive Vice President and GM

ISU94

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, SouthRider said:

So Elias is the guy in charge but still only has the GM title.  What happens in three years when the Blue Jays come calling and want to make him "President of all things Blue Jay"?

This is a great question.  So far the Angelos sons look to be a little smarter than their father with these kinds of things.  You have to think that this sort of situation is going to be anticipated.

Right?

26 minutes ago, SouthRider said:

So Elias is the guy in charge but still only has the GM title.  What happens in three years when the Blue Jays come calling and want to make him "President of all things Blue Jay"?

The O's would then need to adjust his pay and name him EP of BB ops.

56 minutes ago, SouthRider said:

that would imply things have gone well for the Orioles, so happy to deal with it then.

1 hour ago, Rene88 said:

Yep. Nobody will confirm...

Neither the Orioles nor Elias have denied it either.  Elias is a pro.  He won’t say anything until the team announces it.  Ownership is in Atlanta and not here for a press conference.  Chill.

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

Neither the Orioles nor Elias have denied it either.  Elias is a pro.  He won’t say anything until the team announces it.  Ownership is in Atlanta and not here for a press conference.  Chill.

Yeah, ownership is at the owners meetings, which probably contains more business than usual as I am sure that whoever is representing the Orioles has been called to answer who exactly is in charge, the state of Peter, etc.  They are also preparing for the ruling that will be handed down about the MASN dispute.  Meanwhile, there is still a contract to draw up (good thing the Orioles have a law firm on call to do that) and of course, the press conference.  I would expect the contract to be signed over the weekend, and hopefully have a conference by Tuesday afternoon.  

1 hour ago, NashLumber said:

I was there about six weeks ago. It’s now being converted into townhouses or condos. 

88tWhF0.jpg

22 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Ha, first time I was in London I took a pic of that and found the Ziggy Stardust cover (and of course Abbey Road)

London was amazing. Wish I’d had time to get to the Bowie site. Definitely planning more time to be there next time. We spent our time playing music in the western part of the England (got to Liverpool and saw all the Beatles related sites just guiding our taxi driver where to go - John & Paul’s childhood homes, Cavern, Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane). While in St. John’s Wood, we did get to Abbey Road, too. That’s my girls with me (drummer Lila age 11,  bassist Ella age 16 and me).

V2GoVfo.jpg

4 hours ago, NCRaven said:

This is very simple.  Orioles and Elias have a deal.  It hasn’t leaked from Orioles’ side because it is just the Angelos boys and maybe a couple others involved.  Leaked from the Astros’ side because he had to be honest with them and let them know he was leaving

I understand what Roch’s job is, but the HOU news outlets will have more hotstove talk regarding the O’s this offseason. At least while things are fresh. They will cover their boy. The national news will be interested as well. This is going to be a fun off season. Information wise at least. 

The big question right now seems to be how much is Elias going to raid the Astros system to hire people?

I haven’t seen this mentioned, but the ownership group might be waiting to get back to Baltimore because they might be letting a lot of employees go.  Maybe they want to do that face to face. That way when Elias gives his press conference he could actually answer that question of who is coming with him. 

Archived