Give Sisco another Chance

Legend_Of_Joey

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t care about his AAA performance. His MLB showing, mainly his K rate, was bad enough that it is legitimate to question whether he is a lifetime minor leaguer and nothing else.

You've got a point. No 23 year old has ever struggled in his first major league season and ever gone on to have a productive career. Never happened. 

Edited by WalkWithElias

3 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

You've got a point. No 23 year old has ever struggled in his first major league season and ever gone on to have a productive career. Never happened. 

How many of the exceptions you mention had a 40% K rate?

I’m not at all suggesting that he can’t, but the bar is very high and he shouldn’t be handed a 25-spot unless he earns it.

10 minutes ago, Philip said:

no one doubts his ability to hit AAA pitching, but everyone has reason to doubt his ability to hit major-league pitching.

Actually, I think there are doubts about his ability to hit AAA pitching too. If he's the guy we had last year, he won't be good enough. If something else was happening, maybe there's hope. It's nice at least that today's HR came off of a bona fide ML pitcher.

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m not at all suggesting that he can’t, but the bar is very high and he shouldn’t be handed a 25-spot unless he earns it.

Is there anyone, on any team, that should be handed a 25 man roster spot without earning it?

10 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting he be "handed" a spot on the 25 man. Yes, he needs to earn it. I'd say hitting 3 home runs in the first two games of spring training is a decent start. 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is there anyone, on any team, that should be handed a 25 man roster spot without earning it?

You know what I mean. Every catcher we have is better defensively, and catching defense is far more important than offense. 

3 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting he be "handed" a spot on the 25 man. Yes, he needs to earn it. I'd say hitting 3 home runs in the first two games of spring training is a decent start. 

The focus should be on his defense. And getting his K rate down. I don’t really care if he hits .220 as long as he’s making solid contact and provides solid defense.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

You know what I mean. Every catcher we have is better defensively, and catching defense is far more important than offense. 

So you wouldn't want a Mike Piazza?

Enough offense covers for weaker defense.

I have no idea if Sisco can provide enough offense, he certainly didn't last year.

19 minutes ago, Philip said:

If he keeps batting 1.000 and hits homers in 75% of his at bats, will that be sufficient?

Look, this is a nice start to spring training for the kid.    At this point, that’s all it is.    But it’s still encouraging.    Beats 0 for 5 with 5 strikeouts.    

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So you wouldn't want a Mike Piazza?

Enough offense covers for weaker defense.

I have no idea if Sisco can provide enough offense, he certainly didn't last year.

Tell ya what...if Sisco is Mike Piazza, we’ll talk.

meanwhile, I’ll hesitate to compare Sisco to a Hall-of-famer.

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If he keeps batting 1.000 and hits homers in 75% of his at bats, will that be sufficient?

Look, this is a nice start to spring training for the kid.    At this point, that’s all it is.    But it’s still encouraging.    Beats 0 for 5 with 5 strikeouts.    

Yes, I agree,  this is morning I was imagining Mike Wright saying, “Two scoreless innings isnt much, but it’s better than getting blasted in two innings.”