Elias Progress Thread

Tony-OH

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Elias is a class act. From Roch:

Elias called [Branden] Kline with news of the DFA, which included an explanation and some words of encouragement.

Kline never felt unwanted, even as he awaited his fate.

“Mike told me, ‘Hey, we picked somebody up, we had to make a waiver claim, and we need the roster spot, so we decided to take you off. We’re hoping, obviously, that you come back to us. We’ll see what happens in the next week or so,’” Kline said.

“He was very up-front and very honest, which I really appreciated. I was very thankful. And then I got the phone call saying, ‘Hey, you’re still with us, you haven’t been claimed by anybody.’ I was happy about that. Obviously, I want to stay with this organization and I want to be able to kind of help this team push forward and go from there.”

• Upvote 1

On 2/14/2020 at 12:58 PM, scOtt said:

Elias is a class act. From Roch:

This was a common complaint during the Duquette era - a lack of communication. So this is great to see.

In fairness, guys like Surhoff complained about the lack of communication when he was "fired" recently. But I tend to roll my eyes at that one moreso than a player who just can't get in touch with management, as was the case during the Duquette era.

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2020 at 9:57 AM, interloper said:

This was a common complaint during the Duquette era - a lack of communication. So this is great to see.

In fairness, guys like Surhoff complained about the lack of communication when he was "fired" recently. But I tend to roll my eyes at that one moreso than a player who just can't get in touch with management, as was the case during the Duquette era.

Mora was in DR, trying to interest Orioles scouting onto good prospects and couldnt even get his calls returned.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/anthony-kay-pablo-lopez-and-zac-lowther-on-crafting-their-changeups/

Some good comments here from Lowther on the Orioles pitching/analytics guys. I know this was Elias's bread/butter in Houston, so it's nice to view a part of it in action, especially with someone like Lowther.

“The analytics and pitching guys here with the Orioles have been big helpers. Before, I was just guessing at what would work; I was trying to see what the hitters told me. Now with the quantitative numbers, I can see it. Whatever it does is what it does, but that still helps me see the development, the improvement of it week to week.

“One thing I’m looking at on the Edgertronic is my wrist. Is it stiff? Am I pushing at it? I want more of a roll, like I’m kind of rolling over, pronating. When I see a certain spot on the video, I know immediately if it was going be a good one or a bad one. You could pause the video and I’d know. Something I like to do is, if I throw a good one, I’ll purposely try to throw a bad one just to make myself more aware of what I’m doing, and how I’m doing it. Being able to see the video, and correct it that quickly, has been really big for me.”

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/20/2020 at 1:19 PM, MountUrCastle said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/anthony-kay-pablo-lopez-and-zac-lowther-on-crafting-their-changeups/

Some good comments here from Lowther on the Orioles pitching/analytics guys. I know this was Elias's bread/butter in Houston, so it's nice to view a part of it in action, especially with someone like Lowther.

“The analytics and pitching guys here with the Orioles have been big helpers. Before, I was just guessing at what would work; I was trying to see what the hitters told me. Now with the quantitative numbers, I can see it. Whatever it does is what it does, but that still helps me see the development, the improvement of it week to week.

“One thing I’m looking at on the Edgertronic is my wrist. Is it stiff? Am I pushing at it? I want more of a roll, like I’m kind of rolling over, pronating. When I see a certain spot on the video, I know immediately if it was going be a good one or a bad one. You could pause the video and I’d know. Something I like to do is, if I throw a good one, I’ll purposely try to throw a bad one just to make myself more aware of what I’m doing, and how I’m doing it. Being able to see the video, and correct it that quickly, has been really big for me.”

Lowther dominated at every level, has 380 SO's in his O's career vs 223 hits and 109 walks, with a 1.02 WHIP.  And... he's 24 and hasn't gone above AA.  

ISO Lowther should have changed to Finding Lowther by now.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, section18 said:

The Givens trade is the best deal Elias has made. I hope he continues today and can fleece somebody else.

too early to say that. I think it probably will be, but still too early, time will tell.

Heck, at the time, most fans thought the Glenn Davis trade, while a bit costly to the org, was a really great trade to bring a power bat to the middle of the lineup and sometime to reckon with.

We all know how that turned out.

Seattle thought they fleeced us with the Bedard trade and two prospects, middle chippers.