Elias will be active in the free agent market this off season

wildcard

From Roch:

Elias was interviewed by MLB Network Radio over the weekend, and he stated that the Orioles will be “active” in free agency, but later in the winter.

I did not hear this interview with Mike.   If you did and can shed any more light on what Roch is reporting I would love to hear from you.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/12/latest-reports-on-orioles-managerial-search.html

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

From Roch:

I did not hear this interview with Mike.   If you did and can shed any more light on what Roch is reporting I would love to hear from you.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/12/latest-reports-on-orioles-managerial-search.html

I heard some of it. Updated version of letting the market percolate. Not in on big guys. See what's left. 

Seems like the only logical approach to me. Should be lots happening next week.

I think I’ll be getting my FA market jollies by watching what becomes of Machado, Jones, Brach, Schoop, Beckham and Joseph, more than seeing who the Orioles acquire.    The Harper bidding should be entertaining as well.    

The Orioles will be interested in free agents this winter but only after the markets sets itself and we only have the leftovers to dig through?

I for one am shocked and don't think I've ever seen such a strategy employed in the history of this franchise!

This changes everything!

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think I’ll be getting my FA market jollies by watching what becomes of Machado, Jones, Brach, Schoop, Beckham and Joseph, more than seeing who the Orioles acquire.    The Harper bidding should be entertaining as well.    

When you read what Hale has to say in Roch's blog mentioned above (obvious blather speak):

"Anywhere I am, whether it’s here or anywhere in baseball, as a manager your job is to work that room and win as many games as you can. So, that’s really the mindset I’ve always had.”

This of course will conflict with the grumblings here about wanting to tank, keeping payroll low,  to continue to have the top pick in the draft, etc.  We will have this annoying mindset to read here every day until 2022 or later.  :deadhorse:

I would still want to win as many as possible to see progress.  In fact, I want to see us win and be somewhat competitive with young players next year (but not retreads or AJ/Joseph senior mentor types).

As Hale said again above:

"Asked about the appeal of being thrust into a rebuild, Hale replied, “I think that we always talk about rebuild or reboot or whatever you want to call it. For example, I was in Oakland and everyone felt like that was going to be a long, tenuous rebuild, and guess what? They’re in the playoffs. "

4 minutes ago, Aglets said:

The Orioles will be interested in free agents this winter but only after the markets sets itself and we only have the leftovers to dig through?

I for one am shocked and don't think I've ever seen such a strategy employed in the history of this franchise!

This changes everything!

LOL and I am also reading Roch's displeasure (as others have said) on being "out of the loop" as the information leaks.  How does Kenny do it?

42 minutes ago, Aglets said:

This changes everything!

This leftovers approach does not sound good for signing Jose Iglesias.    Iglesias is the best SS on the FA market and should be in some demand.   I have read anywhere from a 1 to 3 year contract for from between 6-8m per year.  

The other choices like Mercer, Glavis  and Hechavarria don't look much better than Rule 5  Richie Martin.    And Martin will be much cheaper.

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

This leftovers approach does not sound good for signing Jose Iglesias.    Iglesias is the best SS on the FA market and should be in some demand.   I have read anywhere from a 1 to 3 year contract for from between 6-8m per year.  

The other choices like Mercer, Glavis  and Hechavarria don't look much better than Rule 5  Richie Martin.    And Martin will be much cheaper.

Is there someone on planet Earth who thinks the Orioles will be paying any free agents 6-8M per year this offseason?  I haven't heard that, but I'd be interested to meet such a person.

Maybe I could see it for a starting pitcher if we simply need a warm body........but I'm not sure even then.

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

Is there someone on planet Earth who thinks the Orioles will be paying any free agents 6-8M per year this offseason?  I haven't heard that, but I'd be interested to meet such a person.

Maybe I could see it for a starting pitcher if we simply need a warm body........but I'm not sure even then.

We got anti-vaxxers, flat earthers and folks that think the save stat is important walking among us.  I'm sure that someone thinks the O's are willing to spend in free agency.

I'm guessing you wouldn't want to actually meet such a person.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't I read on here our payroll is currently around 70 million? It could go lower removing a few still on the roster.  Our opening day last season was around 140 million.  We can easily afford to sign several players for under 10 million and still be 40 million under last season.  The bottom line for the team will be much improved and Elias's star will  continue to shine brightly.

2 minutes ago, section18 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't I read on here our payroll is currently around 70 million? It could go lower removing a few still on the roster.  Our opening day last season was around 140 million.  We can easily afford to sign several players for under 10 million and still be 40 million under last season.  The bottom line for the team will be much improved and Elias's star will  continue to shine brightly.

You don't include O'Day in the Gausman trade if you are expecting to run a 100M payroll the following year.

4 minutes ago, section18 said:

Spending 30 million to turn a 55 win team into a 60 win team isn't going to do much for Elias' star.

I don't understand why anyone would complain about this approach.  We're not going after top-tier free agents for a while (if ever again), and we'll need players to fill out the roster.   I don't see any player in our minor league system that has put up the numbers to be considered a shoe-in for the Major League roster.  

Archived