What was the highest level of baseball that you played?

Frobby

What is the highest level of baseball at which you played?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. What is the highest level of baseball at which you played?

• Professional
    • D-1 college
    • D-2/3 college or juco
    • High school team
    • Non-academic uniform team while in high school
    • Uniform team before high school
    • T-shirt League
    • Never played organized baseball

Two-year captain of my high school baseball team, but stopped there. I played with and against a bunch of guys that played between low D1 (UMBC, UMCP) and D3. Most were about as good as me, but the college park guys were probably better. I was a rangy outfielder who threw out his arm, a middle of the order hitter (on my teams at least) and an aggressive base runner.

i definitely think I could have played in college; potentially even for UMBC (where I went). However, it helps to have good coaching, exposure and/or parents who are putting you in a position to be seen. I never played travel ball until late in high school and my coaches were basically good guys who said "swing harder" rather than types who would build proper mechanics. I'm trying to do all of that with my son. He's playing better competition, has better coaching, is traveling on a very good team and will be bigger/stronger than me. He's only 8, but you wouldn't believe the quality of baseball being played by some teams at that age. You can already tell he has potential to be better than I ever was with a little assistance. 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Played varsity ball for Franklin.High School. Did a mean Louis Armstrong imitation so I was nicknamed satch, coached 3B, and played RF in the 9th inning. Was great at razzing the opposing pitcher or at least making him giggle. Faced a SP who was drafted by Houston and threw 90+ , hit a LD just foul down RF line and then K'd on a SL I would never be able to hit. After that I played softball until my 60's

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, you’re very recognizable in that picture.    You haven’t changed a bit, so long as you have a cap on!

PS -  looks like the pitching was a bit thin on that team...

This was just the hitters - we had mostly starters on the team as we were all "walk-on".  We had about five pitchers and position players might come in relief.  We were a scrawny bunch of gamers.  If Sig were around, he might have laughed and waived us all.  (As Joe Angel might intone, "Wa(i)ve them bye bye"!

My PG County slow pitch team played against King and his Court and I fanned on 3 pitches (but at least he wasn't blind-folded).

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I thought it would be interesting to see how many posters played organized baseball and at what level.    I know we have at least some posters who played professionally or in college.   

Back 60 years ago it was called Junior League. Boys not good enough to play Little League but too old to play Peewee League. Played two years.

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

In 1996, I went to Orioles fantasy camp in Sarasota.  Got a hit off Brooks, but Mike Cuellar made me look sick (we ran out of pitchers that day).  

Does that count?

Brooks allowed me to go two for three off him in New Bloomfield PA.

Once I started doing Fantasy Camp, I found that there are a plethora of opportunities for old guys to play.  I played in a 25+ league until about 5 years ago (I'm 60), and have done tournaments all over the country with orioles-related teams.  The most competitive baseball I ever played was between ages 45 and 55 ...  just had knee scoped so I can play another 10 years.  Will be at dream week this year as a "fan" since knee wont be ready ...

Fun thread even though most people are probably the most interested in their own stories! 

High school/American Legion ball in Montgomery County. Was a pretty good 2b/Outfielder and contact/doubles hitter, but no attention-grabbing skills. Knew I wasn't Div I material and was also focused on school so I never put much planning into trying to play in college. 

As an adult I've been a solid player in MSBL/MABL leagues in North Carolina and now New York. Hope to keep playing for a while! 

34 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Fun thread even though most people are probably the most interested in their own stories! 

I’m actually really enjoying reading about people’s experiences.    So far out of 55 responses I’m the second least-experienced player!    That’s why when threads start analyzing hitting or pitching mechanics of various players I usually have very little idea what anyone’s talking about!     The most sophisticated hitting advice I ever got was that you should hold the bat so that you can read the label.  ?

45 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m actually really enjoying reading about people’s experiences.    So far out of 55 responses I’m the second least-experienced player!    That’s why when threads start analyzing hitting or pitching mechanics of various players I usually have very little idea what anyone’s talking about!     The most sophisticated hitting advice I ever got was that you should hold the bat so that you can read the label.  ?

Didn't they teach you to "squish the bug"??

This is a cool thread.....

Played varsity at Hueneme High School, Oxnard, California in 1980, Terry Tackett was the coach, father of the O's own Jeff Tackett. Mark Berry, Reds coach was also on that team.

Tall, lean, threw hard, decent curve, questionable command. We had a player on our team all the scouts were out to see, John Cox. However, he kept getting shelled and I would come in to clean up. Normally the scouts would vanish when he came out of the game, but one, a bird dog for the Brewers, stuck around and was drinking beers in brown paper bags with my Dad. Scout ended up writing me up and I got drafted before I graduated High School.

(Note: John Cox went on to play at Cal, where he was a teammate of Bryan Pryce, recently fired manager of the Reds. I got to know Bryan at several of John Rubinow's ProBall camps. Good dude.)

Anyway, Brewers offered a contract of no bonus money, $500/month, plus room and board on the road, Butte Montana Pioneer League.

Ended up going to Ventura Junior College (arrived the year after Brook Jacoby left to the Braves), thinking I'd dominate and raise my draft stock. Instead, pitched marginally, pitched for money in a weekend semi-pro league and shredded my shoulder pitching too many innings.

Played some softball, etc. until 2001, found an Ad in North County San Diego Newspaper for the Mens Senior Baseball League (MABL/MSBL), and decided to make a comeback in a 35+ league. Had so much fun at the MSBL World Series in Phoenix that year, decided to get rotator cuff surgery so I could pitch without pain. 2004 World Series, we lost in the playoffs to a team from Tucson with Jack Howell, who went on to win the 35+ Mountain Division. (Our team was Dream Foundation / North County Padres)

2005, we had a loaded team (I managed)... Had an ex-major leaguer who came up with the Phillies and was minor-league outfielder drafted by the Rockies and turned into a pitcher, Mike Farmer. His first Major League start (and first major league hit) came against/off Greg Maddux. (1996). We also had a former Mariners AAA pitcher named Vic Martin, who had absolutely pin-point control. Our shortstop was Jeff Bonchek, who had played A ball for the Indians. We ended up winning the 35+ Mountain that year. The next year, with much the same cast, we won the 35+ Wood American division, so I have 2 MSBL rings.

Retired a few years later when I saw a video tape of myself pitching. Ugh. 

Sorry for the long post. Got going and couldn't stop!

There is no category for Semi Pro so I hit the closest one. Definitely could have gone in the minors if I didn't discover women and drinks. Had scouts watching me from 13 to 17 when I went in the USMC. Got out and played Semi Pro for years. With a lot of former Minor Leaguers. Mostly Rookie league and A ball guys. but a few AAA guys. Had to quit in my mid 30's when I tore up my knee.

Archived