O’s claim 3B Rio Ruiz

Frobby

39 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

At worse Ruiz is now competition for Nunez at 3B. Competition is good and although I'm not sold on either of these guys as a long term solution at 3B, these are the kinds of guys you want to have in your organization because they have upside and just need time to play at the major league level in order to really determine their worth.

Though Elias says there are players on the current roster that will be here when the team is a contender, I think that is mostly morale boosting.  When Luhnow took over the Astros in Dec 2011 there was only one player that was still on the 25 man roster when the 2015 Astros  made the playoffs - Altuve.

16 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Though Elias says there are players on the current roster that will be here when the team is a contender, I think that is mostly morale boosting.  When Luhnow took over the Astros in Dec 2011 there was only one player that was still on the 25 man roster when the 2015 Astros  made the playoffs - Altuve.

It really depends on how things play out. I don't think we have the stars of the next playoff team on the roster, but guys like Mullins, Mancini, Scott, Stewart could potentially be here. They may be bench or platoon bats or just a middle reliever. Elias could also be talking about the guys in the organization, too, not just the big league roster. I'd expect the aforementioned players along with the likes of Mountcastle, Diaz, Hays, McKenna, Hall, Rodriguez, Kremer, Lowther, Ortiz, Tate, Bannon, Hall, etc. to at least form some portion of the roster for the next winning team, even if just a portion .

42 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

It really depends on how things play out. I don't think we have the stars of the next playoff team on the roster, but guys like Mullins, Mancini, Scott, Stewart could potentially be here. They may be bench or platoon bats or just a middle reliever. Elias could also be talking about the guys in the organization, too, not just the big league roster. I'd expect the aforementioned players along with the likes of Mountcastle, Diaz, Hays, McKenna, Hall, Rodriguez, Kremer, Lowther, Ortiz, Tate, Bannon, Hall, etc. to at least form some portion of the roster for the next winning team, even if just a portion .

Scott and Mullins maybe.   I agree that the minors has more hope.    Mountcastle, Diaz, Hays, McKenna, Hall, Rodriguez, Kremer look good.  I would add Pop, McKenna, Castro, Harvey and maybe Bundy and Hess.  But that is from today's perspective.   From  the ones that we think might have a chance today, some will not make it. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Scott and Mullins maybe.   I agree that the minors has more hope.    Mountcastle, Diaz, Hays, McKenna, Hall, Rodriguez, Kremer look good.  I would add Pop, McKenna, Castro, Harvey and maybe Bundy and Hess.  But that is from today's perspective.   From  the ones that we think might have a chance today, some will not make it. 

Of course some will not make it--in fact, most probably won't--but I was just noting that Elias saying, "there are players on the current roster that will be here when the team is a contender" may be more than just lip service. There are some that may very well be here and its likely at least one or two will (albeit not necessarily in the role we think/hope).

I think Ruiz is a pretty strong pickup.  IMO, this move has strengths of our last two GMs - taking a blocked prospect as AM would do and going for a somewhat failed prospect as that prospect enters their age 25-28 seasons as DD would do.  I think there is some upside to Ruiz if he can improve his numbers up as he approaches peak age productivity and, with his defense, become a cheap 1-2 WAR guy in a year or two.

On 12/10/2018 at 5:36 PM, Tony-OH said:

Actually, looking at his analytics numbers, he actually grades out pretty well with quality of pitches. His biggest issue was his well below average ability to pitch around the edge of the zone and the fact he only threw his slider for a strike 42% of the time.

Basically the analytics confirmed my scouting of him that his stuff din't drop off, but rather his command was his issue last year.

I also feel like he was the most shuttled of all the AAA shuttle players.  I feel like his confidence must have been shot.  Always thinking "If I don't make this pitching, I"m going back to AAA; and even if I do, I still might go back to AAA"

• 4 months later...
On 12/11/2018 at 10:45 AM, wildcard said:

I think it's probably more of an even comparison to look at the 2012 roster than who he inherited from the prior year.  If you do that, there were 5 guys who were still there on the '15 playoff team:

Altuve

Jason Castro

Marwin Gonzalez

Jed Lowrie

Dallas Keuchel

I think that's probably a better target for the O's.  It seems possible, maybe even likely, that there are 5 members of our next playoff team on the field this year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Slappy said:

I think it's probably more of an even comparison to look at the 2012 roster than who he inherited from the prior year.  If you do that, there were 5 guys who were still there on the '15 playoff team:

Altuve

Jason Castro

Marwin Gonzalez

Jed Lowrie

Dallas Keuchel

I think that's probably a better target for the O's.  It seems possible, maybe even likely, that there are 5 members of our next playoff team on the field this year. 

My post was made in December so there are several players on the team now that where not with the team then.

3 hours ago, Slappy said:

Altuve

Jason Castro

Marwin Gonzalez

Jed Lowrie

Dallas Keuchel

Playoffs?  Did you say playoffs?  Who's been slapping you around?  ?

I like your positivism!  And I actually am buying into that!  It doesn't seem possible at this juncture, but "Why Not"?   ⚾

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2019 at 12:14 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Getting a Shot with the O’s, Ruiz is Learning and Loving His MLB Time

(By Steve Melewski)

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/04/getting-a-shot-with-the-orioles-rio-ruiz-is-learning-and-loving-his-mlb-time.html

o

o

(vs. RED SOX, 5/07)

NUMBER 3

RIO NOBLE RUIZ

RIO NOBLE RUIZ

RIO NOBLE RUIZ

RIO NOBLE RUIZ

RIO NOBLE RUIZ

RIO NOBLE RUIZ

RIO NOBLE RUIZ

o

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2019 at 5:34 AM, bobmc said:

Playoffs?  Did you say playoffs?  Who's been slapping you around?  ?

I like your positivism!  And I actually am buying into that!  It doesn't seem possible at this juncture, but "Why Not"?   ⚾

A useless professor's pedantic point, but: I think you mean "positivity" or "positiveness" here. I only mention it because positivism (the philosophical tradition of asserting the superiority of knowledge based on observed natural or physical facts and of language that doesn't depart from clear reference to such) is so amusingly counter to the playoffs dream and the eagerness to buy into it, but "Why not?"--Positivism peaked about a half-century ago.

10 hours ago, LA2 said:

A useless professor's pedantic point, but: I think you mean "positivity" or "positiveness" here. I only mention it because positivism (the philosophical tradition of asserting the superiority of knowledge based on observed natural or physical facts and of language that doesn't depart from clear reference to such) is so amusingly counter to the playoffs dream and the eagerness to buy into it, but "Why not?"--Positivism peaked about a half-century ago.

Useless?  You are the point man for the "grammar police"!  I take any constructive criticism very positively.  And I pose to you, "is it not trendy to rediscover former talking points - like the "why not" phenomena?"  If so, "positivism" is still in play here, and I add that the automated grammarian software employed by the OH did not tweak me with red underline.  I rest my case and await your judgment, noble sensei!  ?