Orioles claim Austin Brice Designate Valera (Traded to Giants for CC)

jrobb21613

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Number5 said:

I agree with sportsfan.  Options consideration is normally wise, but in this case it just isn't all that important, IMO.  Both rule 5 guys will be on the 25-man roster all season, barring injury.  Villar and Nunez are almost certain to be there, as well, and there are plenty of other players that can be brought up and plugged in as necessary.  There is nothing about Valera that suggests that he will be anything special.  There will always be a dozen or so Valeras available to pick up in the event of an emergency.  I'd be surprised if he's claimed, but I'm not worried about it if he is.  Really just no reason that I can see to continue to have Valera using up a 40-man spot.

100% agree.  The way the 2B free agent market is playing out, there may be a cheap, one year deal out there for a MLB MI type with more potential than Valera.  Sign them, flip them at the deadline, whatever...….

Where I hope this organization is going, Valera will be a none issue.  We're talking about him now, but hopefully a year from now, we're having the same discussions about some of the other MI's we have in the system because we've added so much more talent to the organization.

20 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

If Brice pitches in a MLB game for the Orioles, with Wynns catching...Would that be the first "Austin-Austin" battery? Then if the batter flies out to right, where Hays is playing...

The Orioles are working on their A game...

27 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I love the passion.  The Orioles have maybe the worst 40 man roster int he game and we are still intensely debating the merits of positions 37-40.

God I love this place!

It occurred to me today that one of the advantages of being the worst team in the AL is that we get first shot at every AL player who is DFA.     This should give us a pretty good shot to upgrade 37-40, and maybe higher than that.   

11 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

DFA him yesterday, trade him today.

I really thought he was going to slip through the waiver wire.

Gotcha, the fact he was traded rather than just claimed means he was somewhat desired. The Giants thought it was worth paying a little to make sure a team ahead of them on the waiver order didn't grab him first. 

40 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I love the passion.  The Orioles have maybe the worst 40 man roster int he game and we are still intensely debating the merits of positions 37-40.

God I love this place!

Maybe the worst?? I think you can just say the worst.  

6 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Gotcha, the fact he was traded rather than just claimed means he was somewhat desired. The Giants thought it was worth paying a little to make sure a team ahead of them on the waiver order didn't grab him first. 

For all you know it was a dollar. 

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

For all you know it was a dollar. 

This is both typical of your posts and the sum of the value that you consistently bring to the conversation.  If you don’t define troll, I don’t know what does.

8 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

This is both typical of your posts and the sum of the value that you consistently bring to the conversation.  If you don’t define troll, I don’t know what does.

It is not uncommon for $1 cash consideration deals to happen. I am not sure why you are using this as an example to prove anything. 

Archived