Next Hall of Famer

waroriole

Interesting article. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mlb.com/302930638-each-mlb-teams-most-likely-next-hall-of-famer.amp.html

Assuming Mussina gets in and goes as an O, who is the next O’s Hall of Famer? What are the odds for Machado going in as an Oriole. Does Nick have a shot if he gets 3,000 hits. Or has the next one made his ML debut yet?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Interesting article. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mlb.com/302930638-each-mlb-teams-most-likely-next-hall-of-famer.amp.html

Assuming Mussina gets in and goes as an O, who is the next O’s Hall of Famer? What are the odds for Machado going in as an Oriole. Does Nick have a shot if he gets 3,000 hits. Or has the next one made his ML debut yet?

Baines made it in so sure Markakis has a shot.

My guess is Mussina will have no logo on his cap.   As to Machado, if he ends up in Cooperstown, he will have played more years elsewhere than in Baltimore.  Going by the counting numbers, Markakis has a lower career OPS+,  less than half of the career HRs, and around 60% of the RBI as Harold Baines, and we all know how the BBWAA viewed Harold's qualifications.  At 35, he's still 4+ years short of 3,000 hits.

The next player to be elected to the Hall of Fame as an Oriole has not yet put on the uniform.  My guess is that's at least 20 years away between their career and the mandatory waiting period.

2 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

My guess is Mussina will have no logo on his cap.   As to Machado, if he ends up in Cooperstown, he will have played more years elsewhere than in Baltimore.  Going by the counting numbers, Markakis has a lower career OPS+,  less than half of the career HRs, and around 60% of the RBI as Harold Baines, and we all know how the BBWAA viewed Harold's qualifications.  At 35, he's still 4+ years short of 3,000 hits.

The next player to be elected to the Hall of Fame as an Oriole has not yet put on the uniform.  My guess is that's at least 20 years away between their career and the mandatory waiting period.

Yeah... I'm afraid a lot of us will be dead before we see another plaque with an Orioles cap.

2 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

My guess is Mussina will have no logo on his cap.   

Are there any MLBers in the HOF who don’t have logo of a team on their plaque? I’m not aware of any, but I’ve never bothered to check.  

I remember Boggs trying to get the Rays on his plaque because of a financial incentive before MLB intervened.  

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Are there any MLBers in the HOF who don’t have logo of a team on their plaque? I’m not aware of any, but I’ve never bothered to check.  

I remember Boggs trying to get the Rays on his plaque because of a financial incentive before MLB intervened.  

Sure.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/24/sports/baseball/greg-maddux-and-tony-la-russa-opt-to-have-no-logo-on-their-hall-of-fame-plaques.html

Notice they said "chose".  The Hall ultimately decides but the player does have input.

If Mussina chose the Yankees would the Hall overrule him?

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/24/sports/baseball/greg-maddux-and-tony-la-russa-opt-to-have-no-logo-on-their-hall-of-fame-plaques.html

Notice they said "chose".  The Hall ultimately decides but the player does have input.

If Mussina chose the Yankees would the Hall overrule him?

Thanks. Good article. With the never ending MASN lawsuit, I would not be surprised if Mussina requested the Yankees for his plaque and MLB said ok.  

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Thanks. Good article. With the never ending MASN lawsuit, I would not be surprised if Mussina requested the Yankees for his plaque and MLB said ok.  

You seem to be mistaken about something since you've mentioned it twice.

MLB doesn't have much to do with the Hall of Fame.

The Hall is an entity in and of itself.

The MASN situation is not a concern to the Hall.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

You seem to be mistaken about something since you've mentioned it twice.

MLB doesn't have much to do with the Hall of Fame.

The Hall is an entity in and of itself.

The MASN situation is not a concern to the Hall.

Thanks for clarifying.  I should have known better, MLB would have mucked up the HOF by now. (Today’s Era Commitee notwithstanding.)

15 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

I think if Manny makes the Hall, he’ll probably wear the cap of whoever gave him the biggest deal in his career. So... not Baltimore.

I agree with Tony that barring Manny and maybe (but quite possibly not) Mussina, the next HOFs wearing Orioles garb aren’t beknownst to us yet. 

So perhaps one of the @Luke-OH twins?  ?

30 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Having no logo on a cap is a bad move.  I'd rather have him have a Yankees logo than a no logo.

Hats with no logos are for creepy people who drive sketchy white vans.

I get it; you're trying to be edgy.  The Yankers get Rivera this year, Jeter, next year and have considerable representation in Cooperstown.  I've said before, but it bears repeating, hey Cooperstown...

giphy.gif

Sketchy white vans?  3 out of 4 CYA in Atlanta, his only WS ring there, but his career was 11 in Atlanta, 10 in Chi so....

maddux_plaque.png?itok=PCkFVjzZ

18 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Baines made it in so sure Markakis has a shot.

As ridiculous as Baines was, he probably had a better claim than Markakis.  He was, at least, a six-time all star.    That said, if Nick manages to amass 3,000 hits, he’ll get some consideration.   I’d say he has a 10-20% chance of getting to 3,000.     

1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

I get it; you're trying to be edgy.  The Yankers get Rivera this year, Jeter, next year and have considerable representation in Cooperstown.  I've said before, but it bears repeating, hey Cooperstown...

giphy.gif

Sketchy white vans?

maddux_plaque.png?itok=PCkFVjzZ

Yankees get guys in all the time, what's one more?  27 World Series titles, you're gonna have a lot of HoFers.  (Even though Mussina didn't get one, yay!)

Nope, not trying to be edgy.  It's like someone who tucks in a t-shirt and wears a braided leather belt, you can't trust that guy either.

Archived